GDT: Canada - Switzerland

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The same guy who brought in the Nordstrom quote here is questioning on page 4 of the sweden-U.S game if the refs were bribed.

I mean, his schtick is there for all to see.

Meh, some people have pre-conceived takes that they are dying to unload regardless of whether they really fit the circumstances.

Reactions: Rob and jj cale

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Well, whatever the result, I'm not impressed. It doesn't look modern. Is it still "let the best kids play", brutal competition in early ages disregarding how many continue playing at their teenage years? Has that changed? If it happened in 1998, how come the US hockey is surpassing you in depth if they did their reform years later? How is that even possible? How can that be satisfying results?

Canada still has the biggest stars but the depth is shrinking. And the culture still seems alot like Don Cherry in many minds within the organization. I just don't throw accusations because I feel like it.
I understand what you are saying and respectfully while I don't totally agree the way the game is played can always be improved. Hockey evolved in Canada in a certain way and nothing is wrong with that however minor hockey is changing incredibly quickly in some ways. Money is playing a larger part than ever with prep schools, hockey academies, the struggle of for profit teams vs. subsidized teams etc. The line between US hockey and Canadian hockey is more blurred than ever with players honing their craft even from bantam age on the other side of their own national border. Skill training and player retention are on going issues to be sure. American hockey has benefited greatly from the number of Canadian NHL players building the game in the US not only at the professional level but from the youngest ages up. The USA hardly puts a a national team on the ice these days that doesn't include dual citizens. There are 64 NHL and AHL teams in North America, 52 of those play out of US markets.

Apologies if some Canadian teams don't take other teams as seriously as they should. Nothing unusual in that, happens in every sport and every league. Canada still produces top notch hockey players and plenty of depth. What more can you ask?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I understand what you are saying and respectfully while I don't totally agree the way the game is played can always be improved. Hockey evolved in Canada in a certain way and nothing is wrong with that however minor hockey is changing incredibly quickly in some ways. Money is playing a larger part than ever with prep schools, hockey academies, the struggle of for profit teams vs. subsidized teams etc. The line between US hockey and Canadian hockey is more blurred than ever with players honing their craft even from bantam age on the other side of their own national border. Skill training and player retention are on going issues to be sure. American hockey has benefited greatly from the number of Canadian NHL players building the game in the US not only at the professional level but from the youngest ages up. The USA hardly puts a a national team on the ice these days that doesn't include dual citizens. There are 64 NHL and AHL teams in North America, 52 of those play out of US markets.

Apologies if some Canadian teams don't take other teams as seriously as they should. Nothing unusual in that, happens in every sport and every league. Canada still produces top notch hockey players and plenty of depth. What more can you ask?

The same people who argue that Canada should win every tournament because of all of their advantages would be the first to complain that it would get boring much like women’s hockey can be with only two competitive teams.

Basically it’s a no-win situation.

Reactions: jj cale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad