Olympics: Canada Roster Announced - Part II

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Bergeron took a slapshot to the hand/wrist and will not return to the game. Gone for xrays.
in other news, MSL, brad richards and mike fisher just got their hopes up. More to come.

Last edited:

Reasoned Opinion

May 21, 2009
Logic Land
Hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys. He was playing in Florida - one of the worst organizations in the NHL. Probably one of the worst in North American pro sports. It's been more than nine years since they last made the playoffs; it's been more than 12 since they last won a playoff game.

I don't fault Bouwmeester for the mess that Florida has been for the last 12.5 years. He did his best. The Panthers knew what they needed him to be - I believe he led the league in ice time his last two seasons in Florida.

Bottom line is he's six-foot-four, he skates like the wind, he's very smart on the ice. You can play him against anybody. That's why I wanted him on my team.

Promoting your favourite player is fine but you seemingly know little about Florida. Their 93 points last year (tied for 8th, not as many wins) would have been much higher if a certain Mr. Bouwmeester hadn't disappeared for the last two months of the season. His offense folded like a cheap tent and his defense was even shakier down the stretch.

He is a great skater and makes a decent first pass but he is not quite what you make him out to be. His skating would have been an asset on big ice BUT the few times he has had a chance to step it up (AHL playoffs and stretch drive with Florida) at pro level, he got stage fright. Whether that played a role in Team Canada' decision or not, the decision to not include him was not a shock to those of us who have followed Florida closely for years.

ju5tbringit

Oct 22, 2009
Kovalchuk is NOT better than Iginla. In the eyes of just casual fans who can't see deep into the game, obviously Kovalchuk is better cause he scores more, and makes flashier goals, but Iginla's stats are VERY similar (I wouldn't be surprised if Iginla has ouscored him in the last 3-4 years), and not only does Iginla score like Kovalchuk, he's a hard forechecker. Ovechkin is better than Nash, but Malkin is not as good as Crosby.

Kovalchuk is better than Iginla. This is not the same guy 5 years ago...This guy leads his team and is the single reason Atlanta is in a playoff hunt. Just because we all like Iginla because he plays a more Canadian game doesn't make him better at this point. Kovalchuk is simply a much more dangerous player right now.

Crosby has been setting up 4th liners with ease in his career, imagine what he can do with finishers like Nash and Iginla? I watch about 5-8 Pittsburgh games every year, and I after paying special attention to Crosby and Malkin, Crosby is the more active player, he skates hard, hits, and makes plays out of nothing. From what I've seen of Malkin, he has a few brilliant moments during the game, but he doesn't skate as hard as Crosby (looks like he floats around), and he loses the puck way more because he holds it longer. He also changes very quickly, whereas Crosby stays in the offensive zone always creating plays.
And Malkin doesn't play with 4th liners? Isn't he still playing with Fedotenko? He did win the Conn Smythe, just saying. Malkin is bigger, skates just as well as Crosby, and has a much better shot. He's the better player, motivated or not.

The top line of Russia does look good because Ovechkin is the best goalscorer in the NHL, and Kovalchuk is almost just as good, plus Malkin who can rack up the points, but I like Canada's top line because of what I know Crosby can do with superstar wingers who can FINISH, and not only can they do that, they forecheck hard and not just float around, like what I've seen from Malkin.
So if you know what Crosby can do with superstar wingers, doesn't the same apply to Malkin? I'm sure it'd be the same for him with superstar wingers like Kovalchuk...

Keep in mind these Russians probably care about a gold medal more than a Stanley Cup. They probably won't float around and will actually backcheck. Guys like Malkin got their cup already, I'm sure he'd love to add a Gold Medal. I doubt you'll see him floating like he does in the regular season.

Fantasy Billionaire

Feel The Heat
Jun 22, 2009
Calgary
navarres.helo.life
Promoting your favourite player is fine but you seemingly know little about Florida. Their 93 points last year (tied for 8th, not as many wins) would have been much higher if a certain Mr. Bouwmeester hadn't disappeared for the last two months of the season. His offense folded like a cheap tent and his defense was even shakier down the stretch.

He is a great skater and makes a decent first pass but he is not quite what you make him out to be. His skating would have been an asset on big ice BUT the few times he has had a chance to step it up (AHL playoffs and stretch drive with Florida) at pro level, he got stage fright. Whether that played a role in Team Canada' decision or not, the decision to not include him was not a shock to those of us who have followed Florida closely for years.

Jay Bouwmeester deserves to be on Team Canada. I don't care what he did in Florids. His play this year say's otherwise.

GOLD CANADA GOLD
GOLD CANADA GOLD
GOLD CANADA GOLD

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Jay Bouwmeester deserves to be on Team Canada. I don't care what he did in Florids. His play this year say's otherwise.

GOLD CANADA GOLD
GOLD CANADA GOLD
GOLD CANADA GOLD

Do you really want a player who choked in the AHL playoffs no less, on team Canada, I certainly don't.

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com

GOLD CANADA GOLD
GOLD CANADA GOLD
GOLD CANADA GOLD

It basically came down to Doughty or JBo IMO... and I think the right guy got the spot.

JBo wasn't going to beat out Niedermayer, Pronger or Keith (the team's 3 left handed dmen)... and it seems that other factors pushed him from the right side - including Yzerman admitting that he wanted chemistry on the team in such a short tournament as a reason for taking Seabrook to play with Keith.

considering all that, it's not surprising that JBo didn't make it... Doughty was their choice ahead of JBo, and I can't argue with that - he's a better offensive dman, and a right handed shot, which many coaches look for on the PP.

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
JBo wasn't going to beat out Niedermayer, Pronger or Keith (the team's 3 left handed dmen)... and it seems that other factors pushed him from the right side - including Yzerman admitting that he wanted chemistry on the team in such a short tournament as a reason for taking Seabrook to play with Keith.
Keith and Seabrook, Niedermayer and Pronger, Getzlaf and Perry, Thornton, Marleau and Heatly. Yup, lots of familiarity here, and with that, I wonder if management is at all considering playing Luongo to see if he can take the reins in goal. The games are being played at GM Place, after all. 81-35-13 since the beginning of his tenure here is nothing to sniff at.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
It basically came down to Doughty or JBo IMO... and I think the right guy got the spot.

considering all that, it's not surprising that JBo didn't make it... Doughty was their choice ahead of JBo, and I can't argue with that - he's a better offensive dman, and a right handed shot, which many coaches look for on the PP.

Doughty is also much better in big games, which I'm sure played a huge factor in him being picked instead.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Keith and Seabrook, Niedermayer and Pronger, Getzlaf and Perry, Thornton, Marleau and Heatly. Yup, lots of familiarity here, and with that, I wonder if management is at all considering playing Luongo to see if he can take the reins in goal. The games are being played at GM Place, after all. 81-35-13 since the beginning of his tenure here is nothing to sniff at.

Excellent point there, Luongo knows the rink way better than Broduer who plays in the east, so that could play in his favor to be THE guy. Appearently Luongo is better at stealing games than Brodeur too.

ComrieFanatic

Dec 27, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
And Malkin doesn't play with 4th liners? Isn't he still playing with Fedotenko? He did win the Conn Smythe, just saying. Malkin is bigger, skates just as well as Crosby, and has a much better shot. He's the better player, motivated or not.

Malkin is a top 5 player in the NHL but he is not better than Crosby. Crosby was the better player in the Washington and Philadelphia series. If it's not for Crosby, Pittsburgh doesn't beat Washington.

Malkin outplayed Crosby in the Carolina series, but that was by far the easiest match-up for Pittsburgh and Malkin. Malkin played a bit better than Crosby in the Cup final, but that's expected when Crosby has to face Lidstrom and Zetterberg on almost every shift - not to mention he faced the best defensive players in the first 3 series, too.

Plus, Crosby is the better all-around player, and has really improved his shot this season. His 24 goals compared to Malkin's 13 say something.

Last edited:

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
The main thing which keeps me very optimistic about this team is the defense.

There are only two and a half non-Canadian Blue liners that I would have picked for this team (Lidstrom and Chara; with Kabere being the one half as I'm not sure who I would take off to add him) were they available. Think about that.

Unfortunately, a tournament like this doesn't award our depth.

Jer Flip

Feb 8, 2010
Dieppe, NB

As a Penguins fan who has watched every game since the two players' rookie seasons, I have to disagree. While they are very close when they're both playing their best, Crosby has consistency on his side; Malkin can disappear for streaks of games and can be shaky at times. Crosby could be considered a talented grinder because he always works so hard. Even when he isn't on top of his game, he always gives his 100%. His drive to improve is higher than Malkin's.

Crosby's linemates were on par with Malkin's until he got Guerin and Kunitz (excluding rookie seasons), by the way. Guerin is good, he's a veteran, but Kunitz (and those who replaced him, such as Dupuis) could be better. There's a reason why Bylsma tinkers with the lines every game; it's because Crosby and Malkin don't have great wingers with them, so he has to rely on fluke chemistry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad