Canada is missing legendary presence of lemieux

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
I believe it was pierre mcguire that mentioned how lemieux's presence will greatly be missed in the olympics. Joe Sakic is undoubtedly a great leader and a great player, but he just doesn't have the legendary mystic and presence of a lemieux.

Gretzky's presence can only do so much, he's not the one playing on the ice.

Discuss.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Discuss? Discuss what?

Do you think every Canadian team that has won has had the luxury of playing with a "mystical" top 3 player of all time?

Anyone who can't get inspired playing with the likes of Sakic and for Gretzky doesn't belong on the team.

Coburnfan05

Feb 20, 2004
SOB Southern Ontario
The_Eck said:
I believe it was pierre mcguire that mentioned how lemieux's presence will greatly be missed in the olympics. Joe Sakic is undoubtedly a great leader and a great player, but he just doesn't have the legendary mystic and presence of a lemieux.

Gretzky's presence can only do so much, he's not the one playing on the ice.

Discuss.

Lemieux has nothing to do with how this team is performing...do you honsestly think there isn't enough leadership in the Canadian dressing room.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I never really agree with anything Pierre Mcguire says. This is no exception.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
Garbs said:
Discuss? Discuss what?

Do you think every Canadian team that has won has had the luxury of playing with a "mystical" top 3 player of all time?

Anyone who can't get inspired playing with the likes of Sakic and for Gretzky doesn't belong on the team.

Yes. Bobby Orr '76, Gretzky and Lemieux during 80's, Gretzky during 90's, Lemieux in '02 and '04.

Team Canada is filled with a bunch of egostical jerks who aren't giving their utmost effort at winning a gold. Lemieux would have grounded these jerks just with his presence.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Team Canada lacks Alex Tanguay, Eric Staal, Jason Spezza, Sidney Crosby, Dion Phaneuf and Dan Boyle.

With these guys in, this would REALLY be Team Canada's 1st team. All I hope is that Canada's lost against Switzerland will bring a serious brainstorming, with Gretzky being replaced at the head of the team being the logical and only conclusion possible...

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
This is our second loss in three international tournaments with them at the helm, I think they've earned the benefit of the doubt. You're overreacting.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Garbs said:
This is our second loss in three international tournaments with them at the helm, I think they've earned the benefit of the doubt. You're overreacting.

Scotty Bowman won many Stanley Cups with the Habs back in the days.

Yet the Sabres were worst than they ever were with him at the helm.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
MXD said:
Scotty Bowman won many Stanley Cups with the Habs back in the days.

Yet the Sabres were worst than they ever were with him at the helm.

Uh, what logical conclusion am I to draw from this? Besides the fact that you make irrational comparisons.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Garbs said:
Uh, what logical conclusion am I to draw from this? Besides the fact that you make irrational comparisons.

Please explain to me in 5 points why this is irrationnal?

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Better yet, I can do it 20 words or less.

What the Hell does Scotty Bowman coaching a horrid Sabres team have anything to do with this?

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
This is the funniest thing I've ever read and I knew it would happen. I've personally never cheered for any country, I love seeing every one of them equally but when Canada lost, I thought: some guy is gonna blame this loss on the Lemieux copp out. Guess what happens? One loss doesnt mean anything, if it did, the Swedish team wouldnt be in the olympics right now and you'd have 30 threads about the Czech loss.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Garbs said:
Better yet, I can do it 20 words or less.

What the Hell does Scotty Bowman coaching a horrid Sabres team have anything to do with this?

My post was about the whole Gretzky frenzy. Sabres weren't so horrid, considering the numbers of HOF/Fringe HOF there were in this team, even though they were young.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
rohan said:
1. Canada still likely will win Gold anyway
2. They don't miss Lemieux, because they didn't win that much with him anyway.

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Wasn't lemieux the captain in '04 and '02. Are you living on the moon?? :biglaugh:

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
MXD said:
My post was about the whole Gretzky frenzy. Sabres weren't so horrid, considering the numbers of HOF/Fringe HOF there were in this team, even though they were young.

I have no idea what you are even talking about anymore. Scotty Bowman has won a plethora of Stanley Cups yet doesn't get results in Buffalo, so therefore Wayne Gretzky, who suffers his 2nd loss today as the executive director of Team Canada, should be thrown out? What the Hell?

coppernblue

Apr 5, 2005
you guys need to relax
canada lost the first game to sweden last time out, the prelims dont mean squat
the czechs also lost to them, maybe just maybe there a good team as well

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
GagsIsDaMan said:
Lemieux has nothing to do with how this team is performing...do you honsestly think there isn't enough leadership in the Canadian dressing room.

Maybe Canada has to much leadership?

When Mario was on the team he was the undisputed leader of that lockeroom simply because he was a Legend playing with superstars.

How many NHL Captains are in that lockerroom?

I agree it should not have any effect on how the team plays but if there are enough guys in that room who dont feel Sakic has the right to tell them what to do then it might cause a little disharmony.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
davemess said:

When Mario was on the team he was the undisputed leader of that lockeroom simply because he was a Legend playing with superstars.

I agree it should not have any effect on how the team plays but if there are enough guys in that room who dont feel Sakic has the right to tell them what to do then it might cause a little disharmony.

Agreed. ;)

Ross MacLochness

Aug 12, 2004
Toronto
davemess said:

The players on team Canada do not need to be told what to do. If they did, they would not have been selected to the team in the first place. Players will take one look at Joe Sakic and they should know what is required of them... he shouldn't have to say a word.

Canada will be fine.

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
davemess said:

Doesnt make any sense, this has nothing to do with so called "leadership", the same thing was said in Salt Lake City after the first two games and after Joseph was replaced. Hoenstly, do peoples memory start every last 10 minutes?

taunting canadian

Jan 3, 2005
MXD said:
Team Canada lacks Alex Tanguay, Eric Staal, Jason Spezza, Sidney Crosby, Dion Phaneuf and Dan Boyle.

With these guys in, this would REALLY be Team Canada's 1st team. All I hope is that Canada's lost against Switzerland will bring a serious brainstorming, with Gretzky being replaced at the head of the team being the logical and only conclusion possible...

Yeah, the only logical conclusion to losing a prelim game is to fire everybody. Who cares about the medal round??? :dunno:

Dec 29, 2004
I agree. There definately is a glut of leadership on your squad. It was almost a virtual parade of NHL Capts to the penalty box in the 3rd.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Okay I know Canada is still the favourite and still most likely will be in the gold Medal Game but what I saw today made me ashamed to be Canadian. Is it an overraction? Maybe, go ahead sue me then. I know the Swiss shocked the Czechs so it doesnt feel so bad losing today but the truth is Canada played like a bunch of underacheiving millionaires. Four power plays they had in the first period and they couldnt bury one. They outshot the Swiss 49-18 including 24-1 in the third. Why did they start playing Hockey in the third why not in the first?

Nash is the only Canadian that I wouldnt have stoned to death today after that game. There were very untimely penatlies Canada took there today. Where is the offense by the way? Where are the two on one breaks or three on two breaks they shoudl be getting? Okay I'll say it, Crosby would look pretty good out there right now. Cause he never takes a shift off, he constantly creates scoring chances all the time. But I guess Gretzky chose not to take a "bet" on him.

Canada has two of the toughest teams to play yet in this round robin and will actually need help from other countries just to get into 1st place. They have looked terrible in these Olympics so far. They have two games to get their act together.

Now for those that think I am overreacting think of this. Canada lost to Switzerland today. Think about that. Not Sweden, Finland not the USA, Switzerland. you know what's worse? We were shut out. Think about that. And here's the worst part. Paul Dipietro was the best player on the ice. In a game full of Sakic, Iginla, Pronger, Brodeur et al he was the best. He coudlnt hit the broad side of a barn when he was in the NHL but we made him look good out there today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad