Canada and USA Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris2004

Dec 22, 2004
Toronto
Well I'll be dammed, the Americans are getting better at hockey, which is alright I guess, the more global the game, the better. The Junior Championships look like they are gonna shape up to a Canada - USA final. Personally I think Canada is gonna win, thats just me. I was wondering what you people think the States future for hockey is? Is it bright? or is it the usual modano's, roenick's and Weight's? (which are all great)

Regardless of this tournement, Canada is overall the best hockey country. We have enough players to fill out at least 4 teams and ridiculous depth at every position.
If I would put the top 6 countries in an order, according to future potential, it would look something like this: (the diff between some of these nations is very small, thats for sure)

Canada
Russia
Finland
USA
Czechs
Sweden

I was wondering what other people thought about this, where do U people think these teams belong

backatyou

Dec 6, 2004
based on the future.....canada, russia then either us or finns. what happened to the swedes? sik players but not even young stars.

o, for those that are gonna argue with the statement that canada is the best at hockey, please don't bother wasting your time. simply, i give credit to the states for being the best at basketball, so accept that canada owns hockey

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
The US is definitely a up and come'r. With players like Montoya, DePietro, Schremp, O'Sullivan, Kessel, Johnson ... etc. They are for sure a cause of concern as a Canadian fan.

Of course we can counter with Heatley, Nash, Lecavalier, Crosby, Fleury, Phaneuf, JayBo...Etc.

I am looking up to some future matchups.

And Russia and it's killer forwards capable of scoring 5 goals in 5 minutes on any team in the world, Finland and it's backstoppers that closely look like 6x4 pieces of plywood, and other Euro countries producing some excellent options as well ,Chara, Gaborik, Steen...

Ahhh :) the future looks bright!!!! If there is NHL of course :(

Crossroads*

Don_Cherry said:
You don't have to like it, but here is no way you can make a decent arguement against it.

His argumentative skills are horrible. The only thing he posts when Canada's superiority in hockey is stated on these forums is ' :shakehead'. Homerism at its finest.

espo*

Reilly311 said:
ugh, not again. :shakehead
Don't take it personally.....although i can understand why you are sick of it try to remember that he is not lying ......what he says is true.Look at it as a personal challenge to do what you can to have your program reach our heights.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
CloudNine said:
His argumentative skills are horrible. The only thing he posts when Canada's superiority in hockey is stated on these forums is ' :shakehead'. Homerism at its finest.

Because it's echoed whenever some other damn country is mentioned as an up and commer or a challenger.

God, if Mexico produced ONE NHLer and someone started a thread saying something like "Mexico is an up and comming hockey nation...", some smart ass would post "Well, regardless of everything Canada is still the best at everything blah blah".

It's ridiculous.

Feb 24, 2004
Reveille said:
Because it's echoed whenever some other damn country is mentioned as an up and commer or a challenger.

God, if Mexico produced ONE NHLer and someone started a thread saying something like "Mexico is an up and comming hockey nation...", some smart ass would post "Well, regardless of everything Canada is still the best at everything blah blah".

It's ridiculous.

And then someone will still say Ovechkin is better than Crosby :joker:

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Reveille said:
In all honesty, they are as close as close can get. Why is it such a joke that a prospect could be better than another one?

The same reason Phaneuf wins HF polls over Suter so one-sidedly. Exposure and nationality. If you go an entire tournament watching one team over and over...while seeing others only once or twice with only a modicum of interest, you're going to form an opinion based on what you've actually seen and had some pride over. In actuality, Crosby and Ovechkin are two pretty different players...but I'd say they're of equal value, just like I maintain the same thing for Suter and Phaneuf. Ovechkin and Crosby do everything well...but shine in particular areas. Crosby is a better playmaker\better vision, Ovechkin is a better pure scorer. Suter has better skills\passing, Phaneuf is a more physical player. None of these players should win any debate in any sort of landslide..and if they do..it's because people aren't looking at the whole picture.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
Reveille said:
In all honesty, they are as close as close can get. Why is it such a joke that a prospect could be better than another one?
Because one of the prospects is Canadian. Just ask Bob and Pierre.

As for the unrelated argument, I was reading THN's "Gretest Debates" issue today and noticed one of the topics was "What is the greatets hockey nation?".

If I remember corecctly, it went like this:

0.02% say Finland is.
0.07% say the Czech Republic is.
2% say Russia is.
5% say the USA is.
89.6% say Canada is.

Pretty convincing I must say especially since THN isn't biased. In that exact same issue they said that "1972" is competely overhyped as it was a "pointless" tournament and that "Only one country cared".

Just my 2 cents.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Canadian_man said:

As for the unrelated argument, I was reading THN's "Gretest Debates" issue today and noticed one of the topics was "What is the greatets hockey nation?".

0.02% say Finland is.
2% say Russia is.
5% say the USA is.
89.6% say Canada is.

Pretty convincing I must say especially since THN isn't biased. In that exact same issue they said that "1972" is competely overhyped as it was a "pointless" tournament and that "Only one country cared".

Just my 2 cents.
1972 was over-hyped bt important
i think 1987 Canada Cup was over-hyped

Chris2004

Dec 22, 2004
Toronto
Reveille said:

Crosby is also younger than him. Dont get me wrong, I really like a lot of russian players, Ovechkin will be a elite player somewhere, as will crosby. It comes down to overall depth. And Canada has more.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Canadian_man said:

0.02% say Finland is.
2% say Russia is.
5% say the USA is.
89.6% say Canada is.

Just my 2 cents.

The joke of that poll is the USA having more votes than Russia (and one could easily argue in favour of the Czech Republic being #3).

Reilly311

Don_Cherry said:
You don't have to like it, but here is no way you can make a decent arguement against it.

What the **** are you talking about? I simply said "Not again" meaning these "Canada is the best" threads (that coincidentally seem to appear whenever canada starts doing well internationally) are getting old. Everyone knows and no one cares.

The reason this thread was created was because the thread starter needed some reinsurance to make himself sleep better at night. Then for him to say "Regardless of this tournament" is pathetic.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Reilly311 said:
What the **** are you talking about? I simply said "Not again" meaning these "Canada is the best" threads (that coincidentally seem to appear whenever canada starts doing well internationally) are getting old. Everyone knows and no one cares.

The reason this thread was created was because the thread starter needed some reinsurance to make himself sleep better at night. Then for him to say "Regardless of this tournament" is pathetic.

No, I'm pretty sure he created it to make you turn green and smash your fists on the ground like The Incredible Hulk.

nikrag03*

Bring on the U.S and Russia... We'll kick their asses too :) Although I would rather play the U.S and beat them than Russia. This is the best Canadian team i've seen at this tournament. Mind you i've only been watching for the last 10 years or so.

Last edited by a moderator:

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Chris2004 said:
Regardless of this tournement, Canada is overall the best hockey country.

Listen : there are 2,500 hockey rinks across Canada, 250 in Finland, 200 in Russia and in the Czech Republic.

There's 500,000 people playing hockey in Canada, 55,000 in the Czech Republic and 50,000 in Russia.

Conclusion : hockey is the only game Canada is good at, and that's because everyone plays hockey, and only hockey. I believe if hockey was number 1 in either the USA or Russia, Canada wouldn't have any chances against these 2.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
wilka91 said:
Listen : there are 2,500 hockey rinks across Canada, 250 in Finland, 200 in Russia and in the Czech Republic.

There's 500,000 people playing hockey in Canada, 55,000 in the Czech Republic and 50,000 in Russia.

Conclusion : hockey is the only game Canada is good at, and that's because everyone plays hockey, and only hockey. I believe if hockey was number 1 in either the USA or Russia, Canada wouldn't have any chances against these 2.

Those are really interesting statistics. Are there really only 50.000 hockey players and 200 hockey rinks in Russia?

I have to wonder how good a hockey nation Russia would be if they had 2500 hockey rinks and 500.000 players like Canada. I´d say there would be 3-5 new Kovalchuks in every age group!

Do you know if the number of hockey rinks and kids playing hockey in Russia is growing or decreasing?

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Peter25 said:
Those are really interesting statistics. Are there really only 50.000 hockey players and 200 hockey rinks in Russia?

I have to wonder how good a hockey nation Russia would be if they had 2500 hockey rinks and 500.000 players like Canada. I´d say there would be 3-5 new Kovalchuks in every age group!

Do you know if the number of hockey rinks and kids playing hockey in Russia is growing or decreasing?

It's growing, but slowly. Money is the key, and Russia's economy has to grow faster in order to give the hockey federation more money, build more rinks, get more kids to play hockey.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
And Slovakia has 42 rinks and 12,375 players. Imagine if we had 2500 rinks?

Note: It would be funny where we would put those 2500 rinks :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad