Can we just go to divisional playoffs already, papi Gary?

Marshmallow Man

Nov 6, 2020
Enough with the “wildcard” crap already. Top 4 teams in every division made the playoffs this year anyway. Wildcard was pointless.

Some years, one or two teams would swap due to a few points here or there, but I honestly couldn’t care less. I have zero sympathy for any team that can’t even finish top 4 in their own division.

Don’t cry to me about playoffs if you are in the bottom half of your division.

So let’s just be done with the crap and go full divisional for playoffs. 1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 3 in each division. Win your division, win your conference, and then win the Cup.

Reactions: trueblue30nyr

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
This is even worse than the current format.

Some years there were 5 teams from one division that made the playoffs. You're saying we should have removed one of those teams to let a lower seeded team from another division make it?

Going back to 1-8 is the answer. Ideally 1-16.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crabapple

Marshmallow Man

Nov 6, 2020
This is even worse than the current format.

Last year there was 5 Atlantic teams that made the playoffs in the East. You're saying we should have removed Florida to let a lower seeded Metro team make it?
It’s exactly what I’m saying. Did you not read my post?

*edit*

You are also wrong. 4 teams from every division made the playoffs last year too.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
It’s exactly what I’m saying. Did you not read my post?

Why would we favour worse teams to make it?

You're saying you have no sympathy for the lower seeded teams but are creating a system where even worse teams can make it. You've also completely eliminated the benefit of winning the conference.

Marshmallow Man

Nov 6, 2020
Why would we favour worse teams to make it?

You're saying you have no sympathy for the lower seeded teams but are creating a system where even worse teams can make it. You've also completely eliminated the benefit of winning the conference.
All systems except 1-16 will favor worse teams making it. And the guy was wrong, top 4 in every division made the playoffs last year, just like this year.

Benefit of finishing first in the conference is playing seed #4. You only “win” the conference once you advance past round 3 of the playoffs. You haven’t “won” annything until then.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
All systems except 1-16 will favor worse teams making it. And the guy was wrong, top 4 in every division made the playoffs last year, just like this year.

Benefit of finishing first in the conference is playing seed #4. You only “win” the conference once you advance past round 3 of the playoffs. You haven’t “won” annything until then.

Not really. 1-8 will favour the top 8 teams. I prefer 1-16, with 8 from each conference because then you can meet the other conference for new matchups instead of never playing them at all except in the Finals.

Bettman has basically said he's not changing the format so it's here to stay it seems.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Bettman has basically said he's not changing the format so it's here to stay it seems.
In that case, I guess if teams and their fans want to make the playoffs they will have to stop worrying about playoff qualifiers, divisional formats, loser points, goal differential, playoff play-ins, 3-2-1-0 point frameworks, etc.,, etc., and just try to play better and get enough points to actually get into the playoffs. :dunno:

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Enough with the “wildcard” crap already. Top 4 teams in every division made the playoffs this year anyway. Wildcard was pointless.

Some years, one or two teams would swap due to a few points here or there, but I honestly couldn’t care less. I have zero sympathy for any team that can’t even finish top 4 in their own division.

Don’t cry to me about playoffs if you are in the bottom half of your division.

So let’s just be done with the crap and go full divisional for playoffs. 1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 3 in each division. Win your division, win your conference, and then win the Cup.
Sounds like you accuse others of whining, by whining yourself about the exact same matter. Kind of contradictory, no?

Not to mention that it is a bit odd to state something along the lines of "you don't deserve to make the playoffs if you are in the bottom half of your division" based on the logic that those teams just weren't good enough, when you can easily use the exact same argument for the current format. After all, if the 5th place team from the other division got more points than you did as 4th of your own division, than you were obviously just not good enough and should have gotten more points. If anything, the placement in a "division" is far more arbitrary than the total number of points teams have managed to earn after playing 82 games.

If anything, get rid of divisional playoffs, they are useless.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
I think the amount that teams play each other might be crossing the line to too much in this case. The wild cards jumping around gives it some variety at least.

I like the old school 1-8 seedings overall though.

cupface52

Jan 12, 2008
Burlington, On
Keep the wildcard, the only change that should happen is if 4 teams from each division make the playoffs, they play within division regardless of their wildcard spot.

Only time divisions should intermingle in the first round is if 5 teams from the same division make it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad