GDT: CAN vs. AUT May 14, 2024

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I sad reality alot of hf posters struggle to come to grips with is these are people not hockey robots. The round robin is vacation mode, they get serious come the medal round. The players, coachs, trainers etc all enjoy themselves. Obviously they dont want to see that but they were up 6-1 for a reason. They got complacent and took their foot off the gas. Anyone freaking out over it needs to relax. The appeal of going over is not just the hockey but its to experience the culture and everything a stunning city like Prague has to offer. Make no mistake these guys are enjoying themselves at the moment.

They will be looking at his play in elimination games in the playoffs and this tournament. This would be like looking at an exhibition game in September its not happening and they really wont take it into consideration.
There is nothing to learn from, or gain from this game. It's just another round robin game. Every year Canada loses to some minnow, heck almost every hockey power does.

This tournament isn't even on a lot of peoples radar and if there wasn't a 4 nations cup coming up and an olympics I doubt most of these players are here.

Reactions: Summer Rose

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Like, WTF happened there? "It is never over until it is over" strikes again. Once you allow your legs to go off during a hockey game, it may turn really bad for you. A weird period but exactly these moments make hockey a fun game.
#JohnTavaresLeadership #LotsofLessons

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I was following the game's result until 6-1 and since it looked so boring, I stopped watching. Unbeleviable result considering Canada's roster.
It is an amazing comeback by the Austrians, but as for Canada's roster isn't it mediocre? There are a few good players but also some whose best days are behind them and some who I would expect to be so far down the invitation list that we'd expect them to be golfing by now.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
It is an amazing comeback by the Austrians, but as for Canada's roster isn't it mediocre? There are a few good players but also some whose best days are behind them and some who I would expect to be so far down the invitation list that we'd expect them to be golfing by now.

I don't think it's the worst roster they've sent in recent years. It's got a mix of really young guys, and some vets.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Well, that was weird. Even if we take into account the many posters who go on about how the Canadians don't take the group games seriously. But Switzerland definitely does take those games seriously and the Austrians scored 5 against them. Now I am supposed to worry about a game against the Austrians for the first time in my life as a fan of the Czech team??

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well, that was weird. Even if we take into account the many posters who go on about how the Canadians don't take the group games seriously. But Switzerland definitely does take those games seriously and the Austrians scored 5 against them. Now I am supposed to worry about a game against the Austrians for the first time in my life as a fan of the Czech team??

They can only surprise so many times until the cat is out of the bag.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
There is nothing to learn from, or gain from this game. It's just another round robin game. Every year Canada loses to some minnow, heck almost every hockey power does.

This tournament isn't even on a lot of peoples radar and if there wasn't a 4 nations cup coming up and an olympics I doubt most of these players are here.
I disagree to say that this tournament doesn't matter is false. It might not be important in Canada or America but it is important to a lot of European hockey fans, I mean it meant a whole lot to Latvia last season winning the bronze, I'm sure it meant a lot also to Germany to win silver. Just because it's not important to you doesn't mean it's not important to others. Stop being so condescending and just enjoy watching good hockey.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019

You meant in North America, in Europe it is on every person´s radar.

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
Now I am supposed to worry about a game against the Austrians for the first time in my life as a fan of the Czech team??
You mean you already forgot 2022? Come on now. We beat you just two years ago!

To put this point for Austria into perspective with some stats: in 39 games it is only the fourth time we tied Canada (or got a point). Last win for Austria happened in 1930. This is absolutely massive even if yo uare not looking at the crazy way this "tie" happened. Really wild and a big big boost in morale. Still gotta win the important game against GBR and/or against NOR. Still a long way to go, but the start has been pretty entertaining.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
To put this point for Austria into perspective with some stats: in 39 games it is only the fourth time we tied Canada (or got a point). Last win for Austria happened in 1930. This is absolutely massive even if yo uare not looking at the crazy way this "tie" happened. Really wild and a big big boost in morale. Still gotta win the important game against GBR and/or against NOR. Still a long way to go, but the start has been pretty entertaining.

I'm curious to see whether this performance builds confidence for future games, or if it was the peak of their competitiveness from an emotional perspective.

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011

🤡

swissdude

May 18, 2019

if your mental horizon could cross the borders of your continent you would realise how wrong you are

Reactions: CanadaIsIrrelevant

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
if your mental horizon could cross the borders of your continent you would realise how wrong you are

There’s no point in trying to convey North Americans.
They are not interested in growing the game of hockey, they are only interested in seeing best on best tournaments.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
There’s no point in trying to convey North Americans.
They are not interested in growing the game of hockey, they are only interested in seeing best on best tournaments.
I don't think that applies to all North Americans there are a lot of poster from CAN (and even form US) who seem to care and see it differently. it's certainly not the majority of hockey fans but it's a little unfair to lump everyone together

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
I don't think that applies to all North Americans there are a lot of poster from CAN (and even form US) who seem to care and see it differently. it's certainly not the majority of hockey fans but it's a little unfair to lump everyone together

Of course it doesn’t apply to everyone but the complainers are the ones standing out in every thread.

Reactions: swissdude

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
You mean you already forgot 2022? Come on now. We beat you just two years ago!
I remember it because it was literally the only time in history Austria beat us. The head to head is 14 games, 13 Czech wins, one Austrian win. So no, I should not normally be worried at all about playing Austria.

Does it mean the Czechs will definitely win? No, of course not. It is always possible for the underdog to win once in a while. But it is very rare, and normally I would be less worried about Austria than any other team in this group, except maybe Great Britain. And that will remain so until Austria wins a lot more than a single game historically against our team.

That said, Austria scored 11 goals against Canada and Switzerland. That means they will feel confident about the prospects. At the same time, this Czech team hardly has any prolific goal scorer so an Austrian upset win is obviously on the cards. But I still think in the end the Czechs will win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad