Can the NHL suspend someone due to an attempt with blatant intent

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Pretty slippery slope if we start going down this route. Trouba's arm is tucked until he's clearly going to miss Necas.
Yeah its almost like he stuck out his elbow when he realized his usual headshot strategy was foiled, but he was still committed to the hit to the head.

Also, Pepperidge Farm remembers

Rangers-statement-Wilson.jpg

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
copy pasta from a comment i agree with that i saw on reddit.
not gonna link to reddit because well. its reddit. i'm just gonna make it bold.

Should be suspended for the remainder of the playoffs and 10 games next season.
This is unacceptable.

1. Clear attempt to injure a player.
  2. Flying elbow.
  3. Charging.
  4. Kick to the back of the head
  5. Could have sliced his neck with his skate.
Just because Trouba "accidentally on purpose" failed to control his feet or skates after the attempted hit doesn't make this any less unacceptable.
If you cant control your stick and you high stick someone it's still a penalty.
if you can't control your body and you clip someone's head it's still a penalty and a suspension.
This type of behaviour is not acceptable and should not be tolerated.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Yeah its almost like he stuck out his elbow when he realized his usual headshot strategy was foiled, but he was still committed to the hit to the head.

Also, Pepperidge Farm remembers

Rangers-statement-Wilson.jpg
Yes, so let's penalize players on what we 'think' their intentions are. So if Tom Wilson asks Rempe to fight and Rempe says no, should Tom get a penalty because his intention was to punch Rempe in the face?

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
Does look like Necas intent was to clip and send trouba dangerously flying into the boards.

Imagine someone in a car trying to hit a little girl on a bike.
The little girl notices the murderer intending to hit her so she moves out of the way.
The murderer drives into a telephone pole.

Then someone online blames the little girl.

yeah.

don't be that guy

Yes, so let's penalize players on what we 'think' their intentions are. So if Tom Wilson asks Rempe to fight and Rempe says no, should Tom get a penalty because his intention was to punch Rempe in the face?

you too.

don't be that guy

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
The little girl notices the murderer intending to hit her so she moves out of the way.

yeah.

don't be that guy

you too.

don't be that guy
Comparing professional sports where physical contact is an established part of the game to real life?

Don't be that guy.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
If someone tried to dropkick another player while wearing their skates and missed, I get the feeling that they'd get a hefty suspension after everyone stopped laughing.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
Trouba constantly throws his elbow out at player's heads. Did it multiple times against the Pens in the playoffs a few years ago and has done it many other times. I'd suspend him for the rest of this round

RickChartraw

Oct 12, 2018

yeah.

don't be that guy
stukk-well-that-escalated-quickly.gif

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Could suspend Trouba for 50 games or so, losing 5 million dollars might make him consider whether headhunting is a good idea.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I think this looks worse than it actually was and it was only made worse with these hot takes by media members on twitter.

- The elbow comes up because he's looking to make contact but with nothing to make contact with, the arm keeps traveling up.

- Necas ducks at the last possible second and Trouba trips over Necas' skates which sends him flying up and over, further accenting the visual perception of the play being dirty

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I rarely wish an injury on players, even ones I don't like. I wish Trouba injured himself with a bad one as a wake-up call.

Same, but I wish he broke a bone on that missed flying elbow, or something that keeps him out of hockey forever.

It's not the first time it happens, and won't be the last. He's a master at taking good players out of series.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
As for the original question, yes a player can and should be suspended for deliberate attempt to injure

And for the record, that guy has no connection to the Canes

What an angle. What a save by Necas. That was crazy dangerous.

Trouba is dangerous, because he's good at what he does. He usually leaves some doubts about the intent of his headshot, but there's a pattern with him. I'm surprised he let the elbow fly so obviously on that one, but I guess your body moves in the direction you target...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad