Can the Leafs make it happen?

Prince N

Nov 18, 2014
Suppose the Leafs finish bottom 3 and get a top 3 pick = outstanding

Pens make playoffs and leafs get their pick.

Leafs trade pens pick, move up in the draft and draft Nylander = like the Sedins

What will the Leafs need to give up to move up in the draft with the pens pick to get Nylander?

Sign a good free agent this summer and next and this team becomes very competitive!!!

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Think he meant the Leafs pick is in the top 3, while what more will it takes for the Pens pick to trade up to draft Nylander.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
it depends on the team at that position more so then anything else, your looking at (18-22)overall,2nd round,+ defence/offence orientated player.atleast

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
As much as I'd like for this to happen, I'd be beyond happy if we kept the Pens pick and drafted Clayton Keller, who looks unbelievably underrated this year and may slide due to size.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Problem is, hard to figure out where he will be taken. I've seen him in lists ranging from 6 to 15 on others.

Trading from #18-20 into the top 10 is going to be very costly.

Prince N

Nov 18, 2014
Problem is, hard to figure out where he will be taken. I've seen him in lists ranging from 6 to 15 on others.

Trading from #18-20 into the top 10 is going to be very costly.

Hard to tell but I much prefer 15 and not 6 for obvious reasons.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
imo if we pick top 3 and get one of the forwards we probably should be using the pitts pick to go for a Dmen so if we traded up it would be to get Chychrun/Juolevi/Sergachyov(SP?) there would be no reason to give up assets to get another forward, now if a forward is clear BPA at where ever the pitts pick ends up by all means take him, but I wouldn't be interested in giving up more assets to move up and take another forward.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I don't see the need to trade up for Nylander. If we win one of the lotteries, we'll be adding one of Matthews/Laine/Puljujarvi to an already deep forward prospect pool for Nylander, Marner, Kapanen , Brown, Timashov, Johnson, etc.

We need a stud D prospect much more than we need Nylander. Just because he's brothers with one of our top prospects doesn't mean we should bias our draft moves in his direction.

Gamble9

Apr 15, 2014
Bowmanville, Ontario
imo if we pick top 3 and get one of the forwards we probably should be using the pitts pick to go for a Dmen so if we traded up it would be to get Chychrun/Juolevi/Sergachyov(SP?) there would be no reason to give up assets to get another forward, now if a forward is clear BPA at where ever the pitts pick ends up by all means take him, but I wouldn't be interested in giving up more assets to move up and take another forward.

agreed I would be overjoyed if we where to take A top 3 guy and then traded down to scoop the faller of the 3 imo all 3 have top pairing upside and Sergachyov IMO is just scratching the surface of his potential. Its a exciting time to be a leaf fan

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
agreed I would be overjoyed if we where to take A top 3 guy and then traded down to scoop the faller of the 3 imo all 3 have top pairing upside and Sergachyov IMO is just scratching the surface of his potential. Its a exciting time to be a leaf fan

don't think you can trade down tho, if pitts makes the playoffs and we do get there first it will be in the 15-20 range, so you'll be pretty lucky if 1 of those 3 Dmen would be still available at that point let alone trading back to get them.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Last overall guarantees only a 4th overall pick.
2nd last overall guarantees only a 5th overall pick.
3rd last overall guarantees only a 6th overall pick.

Of course, the team will have higher odds of a top 3 pick in those situations but nothing is guaranteed.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
don't think you can trade down tho, if pitts makes the playoffs and we do get there first it will be in the 15-20 range, so you'll be pretty lucky if 1 of those 3 Dmen would be still available at that point let alone trading back to get them.

You'd have to make it very enticing for someone to drop out of the top 10 for a 20th. overall pick.

Now the question is what would you give up to come out of this draft with:

Guessing the order is:
Matthews, Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, Laine, Nylander

Leafs picking 5th. - Nylander

Now to get into the top 10 to pick one of: Chychrun, Juolevi, Sergachev http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=187455, Rising D.

Of course Leafs could just take one of the top 3 d-men with their 1st. pick.

This is something we hear all the time about how the Oilers went wrong.

So unless Leafs are in the top 4, shouldn't they take the top d-man at 5?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Last overall guarantees only a 4th overall pick.
2nd last overall guarantees only a 5th overall pick.
3rd last overall guarantees only a 6th overall pick.

Of course, the team will have higher odds of a top 3 pick in those situations but nothing is guaranteed.

What are the odds more than 1 team outside of the top 5 moves into the top 3?

I could see someone moving up but more than 1?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I just want a good young core to become a contender. Dont care if Alex is part of it or not.

Btw Vancouver/Burke is not the model to mold ourselves after LOL.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
First, the Leafs would need to turn some of these UFAs into picks. If they can stockpile a few as trading pieces to monkey bar their way to the top. By that, I mean if there pick is 20th overall, maybe you offer the 20th and a 2nd round pick for the 15th, then another move to hop into the top 10. Not saying that's the value it would take, but something like that where it involved picks or prospects. Then the question comes down to: if they just keep the picks would that be greater value than a Nylander? This draft looks deep through the first round, and the consensus (from what I've seen) right now is that it's pretty wide open outside the top 6.

Has any team moved multiple spots up the 1st round in recent memory?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I like the OP's optimism but trading up seems unlikely, trading down for more picks with the Pittsburg pick seems more likely.

I understand wanting to have all the sexy toys but the reality is this does not seem to be the direction our Shanagement team is going.

Unless someone wants spare parts players (Bozak ?) with the pick for the move up I just don't see it happening. We now covet our picks and I doubt we will trade any of the Hunter picked players in the near future.

All indications are JVR is second only to Rielly in the untouchable club. The likelihood of drafting a player his equal with a pick outside the top three is small, throwing in a first rounder on top of that seems like poor asset management.

I think at this point it's safe to say our team is more worried about getting numerous picks rather than spending assets to het higher ones. We also know any team with a top 10 pick probably needs that pick themselves unless they are one of the teams that just fell short of the playoffs due to injury or similar reasons.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I'm quite happy taking Nylander if he's BPA when we're picking. I'm not going out of my way to trade up/down to land him.

I think having Brothers is overrated. The only time it makes sense is when you have twins who have played together their whole lives and have an insane chemistry factor a la Sedins.

Staal's & Schenn's haven't worked out that well, Kostitsyn's it could be argued actually were worse together. It's almost like handcuffing yourself because you have 2 assets that are tied together unnecessarily.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Assuming the Pens make the playoffs id rather trade back and try to pick up as many 2nds as possible, like they did last year with the Preds pick.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Assuming the Pens make the playoffs id rather trade back and try to pick up as many 2nds as possible, like they did last year with the Preds pick.

No, I think sometimes it pays to just draft a little higher. Mix up the playbook every year, cause I'd hate to look back on the 2015-whatever drafts and look at all the names we are going to inevitably miss out on.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Rather than trade up with the pens pick to a top 5 spot, it makes note sense to trade into the top 10. The price difference is absolutely huge...and a solid team who had a down year, or an injury filled season is more likely to trade their pick if they think they can be competitive the next season. Teams with top 5 picks usually need those picks.

Maybe Calgary or Anaheim?
Bozak/Gardiner +Percy/Harrington/loov+Pitts 1st for 8-12 ranked 1st?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad