Can The Great Khali Save TNA ????

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I will say this - he looks absolutely thrilled to be part of the TNA family.

from cagesideseats.com:

CRqczRoXAAAK5GR.0.0.jpg

The internet has done its best to figure out what TNA's television plans are over the next few months. As they haven't done a television taping since the Summer, their Bound for Glory pay-per-view (PPV) looked like the end of ongoing storylines.

But they weaved a ton of extra footage shot in July into their current World Title Series storyline, and have focused their public relations spin on their upcoming tour of India.

This morning, via a press event with Indian sports network Sony Six and subsequent press releases, we know a little bit more about what they'll be doing in the second most populous nation in the world.

And, get your "Shut Up and Take My Money" memes ready, it involves former WWE champ The Great Khali.

It does not look like The Punjabi Playboy, real name Dalip Singh, will be wrestling. Instead, he'll be promoting the three shows TNA will put on there - one of which will air live on Sony Six on December 4. He'll also work with Talent Head John Gaburick to identify & sign the company's next Indian star.

Full story here: http://www.cagesideseats.com/tna-im...-joins-tna-as-india-tour-details-are-revealed

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Don't like Khali in the slightest but can't deny his appeal in India.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Also, the events will focus around Mahabali Shera.

To most people, the Khali/Shera comparisons would argue there is no talent whatsoever in India.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I can't imagine India being a hotbed for pro wrestling talent. There are a lot of grown adults there that think wrestling is real. I don't understand it.

member 116861

Smart move by TNA because they are big in India. This will only help them gain even more popularity. That being said, I can't stand Khali. I've been enjoying TNA quite a bit recently except for that Bound for Glory result/consequence. Khali and Mahabali Shera make it embarrassing to be Indian. I know Sonjay Dutt and Jinder Mahal are born in North America but they are so much better than Khali and Shera. A lot of Indians still believe that wrestling is real so they cheer for and want to see big, slow, clumsy guys like Khali and Shera because they look big and strong. I'm sure if you asked them if they wanted to see Eddie Edwards and Kenny King or Khali and Shera, they would go with the latter. Very frustrating to see.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
And now the tour has been postponed.

from pwinsider.com:

The scheduled TNA tour of India, which would have seen the company broadcast a live One Night Only PPV and tape additional material for Impact and other TNA broadcasts, has been postponed until 2016.

TNA issued an email to their roster an hour ago informing them that the tour would have to be pushed back due to logistical issues.

The roster was slated to leave the United States this weekend for the tour and had received their travel and flight itineraries for the trip.

We are told an official announcement regarding the tour is forthcoming.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
TNA issued following statement:

Postponement of ‘TNA One Night Only: Mumbai’ Event

Multi Screen Media (MSM) and TNA Wrestling, the international professional wrestling entertainment organization, jointly announced today that the TNA One Night Only: Mumbai live event has been postponed.

The live event that was scheduled to take place on December 4, has now been postponed to 2016 to a yet-to-be decided date. The postponement is primarily due to logistical issues around the timing of the event.

As soon as the new dates are firmed up, it will be announced in an update.

While TNA is looking forward to coming to India soon, MSM is geared up to host the entire entourage of TNA in India.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Translation: We decided India is actually a dirty, smelly country, and we didn't want to go there. We will, however, go to the United Kingdom, as scheduled, in January.

For a desperate company, they sure know how to reject opportunities, though in a way, I'm glad they didn't do it; a lot of their talent would've gotten sick, and TNA would not have paid their bills.

And, for the record, my comments aren't an indictment of India, but more likely the unfortunate mindset they adopted. I wouldn't be surprised if Dixie thought she was going to Indiana.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Nah, it was legit logistical issues they had with the venue. The trip is being paid for by the TV station in India, and the contract they have with them requires them to do a tour of India every year.

But they should tour the UK more really. TNA was prob bigger over here than it was in the US. The shows from here are always good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad