Can The Arizona Coyotes Make The Playoffs In 2018?

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
The Yotes missed the playoffs by 24 pts...yikes! However, 25 of their losses were by one goal (this includes OT losses). Turn half of those into wins and we might challenge for a playoff spot.

The problem here is that we haven't addressed scoring (with the loss of Vrbata). Perhaps the new system will help, but they are really hoping for the youngsters to play well above expectations.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
2016 - 17 season
COYOTES
GF 191 for 27th overall - 26th powerplay
GA 258 for 28th - 27th penalty kill

Nashville
GF 238 11th overall
GA 220 15th

Montreal
GF 223 15th overall
GA 198 4th overall

So to get to the middle of the pack the Coyotes need to score about 30 more goals and allow about 40 less.

I definitely see them scoring more under Tocchet with an up tempo attacking style ala the Penguins with good possession and "speed and finesse throughout the lineup, a cripplingly aggressive push in the neutral zone and on lost offensive zone faceoffs, and remarkable support for the defencemen from the forwards". The Coyotes should be a fast, skilled team. Question is can they provide the defensive support?

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
The problem here is that we haven't addressed scoring

Not entirely true. Yes, we are counting on some young wingers, but we added Stepan...55 pts last season.

The Coyotes top scoring center was Hanzal with 39 (counts Wild time), and Dvo with 33.

So a scoring upgrade at center.

Toadie

Mar 24, 2015
Calgary AB
I think we are underselling Keller a bit. I'd say the majority of other fanbases and different media outlets have him as the Calder favorite.

I agree with you. I am so glad that the who shall not be named is not here this year. Listen to how Keller would not talk about his experience with the Yotes in this interview: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/keller-wants-to-have-an-impact-right-away-with-coyotes~1196810

Hope Toch can build excitement and the youth wanting to play here.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
What do the Arizona Coyotes need to do to make the playoffs in 2018?

Finish in the top 3 in the Pacific :sarcasm:

They can, but a lot of things need to go right. The only true way that we would know how much coaching can impact the team is if Tocchet were given the exact same team as what we had last year. We have a different team with the right types of pieces added to take pressure off of our youth, in addition to taking pressure off of Tocchet. I am optimistic, but there will be a honeymoon period of expectations with different system, etc.

I am less worried about how we do over the last 20-30 games of the season as I am worried about what happens in the first 20-30 games. Getting a good jump start to the season would be crucial in helping the path.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Not entirely true. Yes, we are counting on some young wingers, but we added Stepan...55 pts last season.

The Coyotes top scoring center was Hanzal with 39 (counts Wild time), and Dvo with 33.

So a scoring upgrade at center.

But a scoring loss at RW (Vrbata scored 55 points last season). So, in essence, we simply replaced Vrbata (if we focus on points), so unless Stepan can really click with Domi and whoever, it's going to leave us around the same point-wise (depending on what the new system is like). We also didn't replace Hanzal's "39" so Dvo will have to score at least 40, Duclair will have to return to form, Perlini will have to increase his output, and Domi will need to remain healthy and score around 50+ points. Keller will also have to amaze.

The offensive game ain't looking good unless Toc has one hell of a system in place.

Toadie

Mar 24, 2015
Calgary AB
Not the Domi one. The Keller one.

The recap is that a reporter asks him about his experience with the World cup and his time with the Yotes. Keller Responds about the WC but says nothing about the Yotes. Then towards the end of the interview, and another reporter asks about the Yotes and Keller still gives no response. Could be nothing could have been a huge problem. But hopefully resolved now :)

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Can: yes
Will: no

What I'm hoping for that seems at least semi-realistic is for them to be an up and down team for the first few months but around late January they flip a switch and start kicking ass. They don't make the playoffs because they dug too deep of a hole early on but they show up on all those "hottest team since January" type lists.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
The recap is that a reporter asks him about his experience with the World cup and his time with the Yotes. Keller Responds about the WC but says nothing about the Yotes. Then towards the end of the interview, and another reporter asks about the Yotes and Keller still gives no response. Could be nothing could have been a huge problem. But hopefully resolved now :)

If he did say anything about the 'Yotes, they'd probably tear him a new one since he only spent 3.6% of the season with them. At least the WC is a much shorter number of games as a whole, I believe.

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
Keller seems a little cocky, when asked "Is the calder one of your goals?" he responds "Ya definitely, I'm just going to play my game and that will take care of itself." Although confidence isn't necessarily a bad thing.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
2016 - 17 season
COYOTES
GF 191 for 27th overall - 26th powerplay
GA 258 for 28th - 27th penalty kill

Nashville
GF 238 11th overall
GA 220 15th

Montreal
GF 223 15th overall
GA 198 4th overall

So to get to the middle of the pack the Coyotes need to score about 30 more goals and allow about 40 less.

I definitely see them scoring more under Tocchet with an up tempo attacking style ala the Penguins with good possession and "speed and finesse throughout the lineup, a cripplingly aggressive push in the neutral zone and on lost offensive zone faceoffs, and remarkable support for the defencemen from the forwards". The Coyotes should be a fast, skilled team. Question is can they provide the defensive support?

Can we make the playoffs, yes, will we, not likely. The 70 goal turn around is a lot to ask, just to be middle of the pack.

I can see our GAA going down because Chalmers/OEL can play 25+ minutes. It will take Raanta being even better then he was last year while playing way more games. Again, a lot to ask.

On offense, we know Stepan is good for 50 points and OEL will bounce back and get more points and goals. Outside of that, we are counting on DVO/Duclair/Domi/Perlini/Strome to have better years this year than last year. Again, it is a lot to ask. DVO/Perlini could have sophomore slumps, Duclair could be a bust, and Strome could be in the AHL. Domi, if healthy, can likely be counted on for more production than last year.

To me, what we know for sure is this: OEL will have more goals, Chalmers will make our top pair and our D better, Stepan will produce 50 points+, and Domi produce more points.

Coaching, system, goal tending, and young players contributions are all a dice roll.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
With Stepan, I think he's an upgrade but it's a little smaller of a gap than you might think. Hanzal had per game numbers in the .6 range 3 years running prior to last season. Stepan a little better but he has a better supporting cast too. Both are reasonably comparable in fancy stats.

Retroactively, I think Hanzal needed a change of scenery and that's based on something rt mentioned on the mainboard in the players who play better angry thread. That's certainly Hanzal and we've seen a lot less angry Hanzal the last 2 years. Complacency or what I dunno.

Hopefully a new face in Stepan who might be a better fit with our freshmen and sophomores + health is the advantage we need. I think it is. But the offensive gap is smaller than you might think.

Also cobra you've gotta tell me where the Chalmers nickname comes from cause the only one I know of is Mario ;)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Can we make the playoffs, yes, will we, not likely. The 70 goal turn around is a lot to ask, just to be middle of the pack.

I can see our GAA going down because Chalmers/OEL can play 25+ minutes. It will take Raanta being even better then he was last year while playing way more games. Again, a lot to ask.

On offense, we know Stepan is good for 50 points and OEL will bounce back and get more points and goals. Outside of that, we are counting on DVO/Duclair/Domi/Perlini/Strome to have better years this year than last year. Again, it is a lot to ask. DVO/Perlini could have sophomore slumps, Duclair could be a bust, and Strome could be in the AHL. Domi, if healthy, can likely be counted on for more production than last year.

To me, what we know for sure is this: OEL will have more goals, Chalmers will make our top pair and our D better, Stepan will produce 50 points+, and Domi produce more points.

Coaching, system, goal tending, and young players contributions are all a dice roll.

I agree. It's anyone's guess what happens this year. The first 20-30 games are crucial for this team.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I agree. It's anyone's guess what happens this year. The first 20-30 games are crucial for this team.

The first 20-30 games we need to get plenty of points. Vet teams can be sloppy at the start of the season and systems are in place but not well executed. We will be sloppy too for sure but we could and need to get points early. Once systems are in place and the playoff stretch drive starts, the vet teams play a tighter game and it will be harder to win games. Playing lose and wild early can get us points but it won't work later in the year, so here is to a fast start!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad