Can someone explain the Gionta/Fisher signings to me?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I seem to recall a rule created where you needed to sign your contract earlier in the season, on account of Sundin and Niedermayer waiting until late in the season to sign and play essentially for the playoffs/cup run.

I see Gionta and Fisher both signing inside of February and I thought that was not allowed. Am I dreaming? Can anyone clarify?

Last edited:

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
The most I can find is this thread on another forum after I made this thread. Weirdly enough the OP has almost the exact same memory as I do, but it seems others said this wasn't the case.

Was this something that was only discussed in the media, but never implemented? Feels like a Mandela Effect thingy.

Dooman

Mar 8, 2006
One potential rule you could be thinking of is the RFA rule :

An RFA not signed by December 1st is ineligible to play for the rest of the season.

And I believe the rule you're actually referring to (Although I'd have to find it, this is from memory)

Is the 'trade deadline' isn't truly a trade/signing deadline. It's just any player acquired post-cutoff is ineligible to play in the playoffs for that season.

Last edited:

Dooman

Mar 8, 2006
Yes, just double checked : Any player not under contract(for said team) by Feb 26th 2018, 3 PM EST, is ineligible for the playoffs.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
It's interesting for sure. I thought Fisher had basically retired. He was a free agent after last yr., shouldn't he have gone through the free agency process before going back with Nashville? Seems like he went back there way to fast.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's interesting for sure. I thought Fisher had basically retired. He was a free agent after last yr., shouldn't he have gone through the free agency process before going back with Nashville? Seems like he went back there way to fast.
During the 2003-2004 season on trade deadline day the I remember the Leafs had signed Calle Johansson for the remainder of the season and playoffs, however he had previously retired like Fisher did.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
because they're no longer hockey players, no rules apply. like signing a random civilian. jk idk :P bahah

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Yes, just double checked : Any player not under contract(for said team) by Feb 26th 2018, 3 PM EST, is ineligible for the playoffs.

It’s actually any player on the team’s Reserve List as of the trade deadline, they don’t have to be under contract on the trade deadline.

For example Chris Kreider signed his ELC on April 10th and participated in the playoffs that season.

*Note: unsigned RFA’s would be on the Reserve List, however they are bared from signing after Dec 1st so wouldn’t be able to join late for the playoffs.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

I'd guess Fisher didn't file formal retirement papers with the NHL. As a UFA he was not required to.

So far as I understand, if Fisher had filed the formal retirement paper he would need to have unanimous consent of all the teams to be reinstated before one year had expired since retirement.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I'd guess Fisher didn't file formal retirement papers with the NHL. As a UFA he was not required to.

So far as I understand, if Fisher had filed the formal retirement paper he would need to have unanimous consent of all the teams to be reinstated before one year had expired since retirement.
Fisher kept his “retirement” open to return. He was a free agent the whole time and could have signed with any team he chose. He was serious about staying retired but the team and his wife convinced him to return. The team waited until the last moment to sign him. He did practice for a month without a contract which could be considered suspect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad