Can somebody please explain the PP?

5minutemajor

Mar 23, 2018
Why would they put Laine on the wrong side?

A 1st grader would know to put Laine on the left side. Then you figure out the rest after that. If a certain somebody does not feel like playing where he too would add value (right wing, net front, wherever), he can sit on the bench.

This is for the power play. Normal play, arguments can be made, but for the power play: IT SHOULD BE SIMPLE, IT IS SIMPLE! How can they not get it? Beyond me.

Reactions: behemolari

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Barely make zone entry
Then pass pass pass pass pass pass.....oops, gave it away, gotta retrieve it.....
Barely make zone entry
Then pass pass pass pass pass pass, weak shot to the net that's blocked or easily saved, PK gains control and sends it down the ice.
Would you look at that, PP over

5minutemajor

Mar 23, 2018
Barely make zone entry
Then pass pass pass pass pass pass.....oops, gave it away, gotta retrieve it.....
Barely make zone entry
Then pass pass pass pass pass pass, weak shot to the net that's blocked or easily saved, PK gains control and sends it down the ice.
Would you look at that, PP over

Is that today’s pp?

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
From what I saw Laine's one timer was firing wide, which killed the posession because he shoots so hard that the puck ends up out of the o-zone. This wouldnt be such a huge issue for many powerplays, but CBJ PP zone entries are so bad that you cant afford your own shots ending up in neutral zone.

Average CBJ 1PP shift went something like this:
1. Fail more than one zone entries
2. Finally get the puck into O-zone around 0:50 into the shift
3. Make some board passes
4. Johnny gets the puck to blueline
5. Dman sets up Laine onetimer
6. Shot goes wide and flies out of the zone (or deflects out of the play)
7. 1PP shift ends around 1:15 with no shots on goal

Their fix was to put Johnny to his more comfortable left wall and have Laine shooting wristers which hit the net and cause rebounds. I guess the change kinda does what it's supposed to, but if you wanna have an actually good powerplay some day the zone entries need to be fixed

Last edited:
Reactions: behemolari

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Our second unit has been great while our first unit has been scoreless. So flipping them would be a simple first step.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Because Johnny is used to running it from that side, and because Z is too slow to pass to Laine on the left. And for some reason, both Johnny and Z are glued to PP1 and dictate how it's ran

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
There is no fluidity to the attack. Most of the players just pass and expect an opening, they never create an opening by making the PK react.

If you watch a top 10 PP in the league the differences are crazy. The puck retrievals are so good, they can pass quickly and accurately. This team can do neither. There is a lot more to it than the just completely insane setup and the players being used.

Werenski isn't a PP player, he creates his offense mostly by himself and he doesnt have the vision and decision making to be a QB. Everyone already knows this though, everyone except our head coach apparently.

Laine, one of the best one timers and shots in the league is being used on his non one timer side. Decisions like this make me not surprised this PP continues to fail.

The setup and players are one thing, but this coaching staff and those before it have had no idea how a successful operates. Do they watch good teams and how they move the puck? Maybe this team just doesnt have the talent.

Get Boqvist running the point and Laine on the left, it cannot get worse than it is.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Laine, one of the best one timers and shots in the league is being used on his non one timer side. Decisions like this make me not surprised this PP continues to fail.

The setup and players are one thing, but this coaching staff and those before it have had no idea how a successful operates. Do they watch good teams and how they move the puck? Maybe this team just doesnt have the talent.

Get Boqvist running the point
and Laine on the left, it cannot get worse than it is.
Bolded points are all key.

If Boqvist is running the pp that means he has to play D 5v5. Some here would say that is not a good trade off.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
Bolded points are all key.

If Boqvist is running the pp that means he has to play D 5v5. Some here would say that is not a good trade off.
The third pairing isn't great whomever you put out there. Why not have a chance at improving the PP? Put Bean or Gud with Boq. Peeke isn't going to help anyone's game.

MrEckted

Jan 28, 2008
I'd be curious what Laine would look like up top. He could still utilize the one-timer, and when it goes wide, it might be more likely to deflect back into the slot. If he can get it on the net through traffic it's good enough to blow by the goalie.

My main concern would be the defensive side of things..

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
I'd be curious what Laine would look like up top. He could still utilize the one-timer, and when it goes wide, it might be more likely to deflect back into the slot. If he can get it on the net through traffic it's good enough to blow by the goalie.

My main concern would be the defensive side of things..

when bryan rust is zooming past Laine going in on a short handed breakaway and scores with ease, then we’d know why Laine wouldn’t play the point.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Watched the DAL-MIN highlights from tonight.
Dallas had FIVE PP goals.
It was effortless for them, pucks to the net, screen the goalie, get those rebounds, move the puck quickly so the goalie doesn't have time to react.
It was a clinic.

MrEckted

Jan 28, 2008
when bryan rust is zooming past Laine going in on a short handed breakaway and scores with ease, then we’d know why Laine wouldn’t play the point.
Agreed. I just wish he could utilize his shot without losing the zone 75% of the time.

Reactions: I3LI3

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
Agreed. I just wish he could utilize his shot without losing the zone 75% of the time.

lately it’s been because he’s rusty. his shot has not been hitting the net at all. his shot has been so powerful that it whips around the boards and exits the zone.

Reactions: MrEckted

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
See the thing with the PP is it doesn't HAVE to be Laine at that point, if he's been missing the net a lot on that one timer, put Marchenko in that spot until Laine earns it back. But keep the system the same and rotate players through who are actually successful with it. And as guys are hot/cold cycle them through it. Hell they could even reverse it and put Chinny in that position and let him rip.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Laine and Gaudreau both play their best from the left wall, and neither they or their PP linemates are currently good/versatile enough to solve that problem. Maybe Johnson, Jiricek, and Fantilli can solve that problem later this season or next season.

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
Watched the DAL-MIN highlights from tonight.
Dallas had FIVE PP goals.
It was effortless for them, pucks to the net, screen the goalie, get those rebounds, move the puck quickly so the goalie doesn't have time to react.
It was a clinic.
Their PP was atrocious before last night, think they had 4 powerplay goals on the season so far before they scored 5 on Minny

Reactions: squashmaple

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Voronkov
Laine Marchenko Fantilli
Boqvist

That's what PP1 should be.
At this point losing the faceoff nearly every time might be worth it. I'd still have Boone out there tho
in this scenario i imagine PP2 would be:

13-17-59

I say we run with 5 forward PP
on a 5F pp, i'd put fantilli up top. he's assertive, he has a wicked shot, he's their fastest forward and he has skill to win 1-on-1 battles.

that said, if we're talking about alternate positions for laine (i think he's fine in the left circle but whatever) i think he'd be good at the bumper spot. his wrister is better than his one-timer, putting him between the dots gives him a bit more space to use that and will draw more attention.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Power play is somehow worse than the previous few seasons.

We are basically a competent PP away from holding down a playoff spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad