Can or will Sullivan be fired?

What would it take for Sullivan to get fired?

• Another 2-5 game skid (2023)

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • 6-10 game skid (2023)

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • 11-15 game skid (2023)

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • 16+ straight losses

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • 2-5 game skid (2024) w/significant standings impact

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • 6-10 game skid (2024) - likely automatically out of playoff picture

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • 11+ game skid (2024) - likely automatically out of playoff picture

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • DUI / Domestic Abuse / Other major off-ice incident

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • Sullivan can't be fired and will remain the coach for the remainder of his contract

Votes: 38 45.2%
  • Another loss in the first round (lol) 2024

Votes: 5 6.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
When he’s back I’m gonna talk myself into the silver lining that is “maybe we can get David Carle in 2025”. Even though this is going to be a crazy unattractive job for many years.

Just so ridiculous he’s not gonna get axed Thursday AM. Financially- he’d be hired in 2 seconds to offset his current deal. Performance wise- this team hasn’t won a series in over 2,000 days.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I'm not entirely sure that's true. He's got 3 years of guaranteed money at elite coach level. He's not taking a job without new money added. If you're the Buffalo Sabres are you really going to offer 5x5 or 6x5 for Mike Sullivan? If you are Mike Sullivan why would you take anything less when you could just hang out at home for 3 years and get 16MM?
IIRC, he'd get paid the difference from FSG if it's under his current contract. Not sure if that's true though.

I also doubt he'd just chill for 3 years w/o coaching. Especially w/ the Olympics coming up.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Even if FSG doesn't have to eat his contract if he's hired elsewhere, which I'm still not sure of, the $20-25M they owe the guy is something like 0.003% of their collective net worth of $9B. :laugh:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Even if FSG doesn't have to eat his contract if he's hired elsewhere, which I'm still not sure of, the $20-25M they owe the guy is something like 0.003% of their collective net worth of $9B. :laugh:
FSG a 9 billion dollar company too broke to mandate changes to get to the postseason and increase their revenue.
Just think, that lost OT point vs the Leafs with Eller and DOC instead of Sid or Geno is the difference right now.

Sully galaxy brained the Pens into missing the POs...again.

Loser
That’s a grim lol.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013

If Sully got canned this offseason the only reason he wouldn't be behind a bench next season would be because he wanted a paid vacation. Look at all the other bums that fail upward into new jobs, Sully has a far better resume than the field.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Among the hundreds of reasons to fire Sullivan, watching the stats of incoming players decrease and outgoing players increase, is one of the most telling.
When things are going this poorly, most teams go with the "you can't trade a whole team so you gotta fire the coach" approach. For the Pens it's the "you can't fire the coach so trade all the players" approach that's never worked.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I'm not entirely sure that's true. He's got 3 years of guaranteed money at elite coach level. He's not taking a job without new money added. If you're the Buffalo Sabres are you really going to offer 5x5 or 6x5 for Mike Sullivan? If you are Mike Sullivan why would you take anything less when you could just hang out at home for 3 years and get 16MM?

The signing team would likely make a deal with Pittsburgh where it is beneficial for all parties. Lets use your example. Buffalo Signs him at at 3 years for 3 mill per season. Pittsburgh has him for 3 years at 5.5. Buffalo will pay him 3m and Pittsburgh would pay the difference of 2.5 for each year.

Sullivan continues to coach.
Buffalo/New Team gets their guy.
Pittsburgh saves money on a fired coach.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'll continue to talk about the lineup and trades and signings because I like doing it but realistically, there's a black cloud above this team. We all know who they are. NOTHING will change next year unless there is an actual change.

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
I'm very confident Sully is staying. I think the record from the last month probably saved him.

I'm quite confident they let Reirden and one or more of the assistants walk.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
The only slight possibility of Sully getting fired this summer is after Toronto inevitably fires Keefe after another disappointing playoffs.

Then we will see if Dubas’ love of Keefe can outweigh the Sullyism.

Most likely Sully gets promoted to GM and Keefe hired as coach in that scenario, and the team will be mediocre for 20 years or so.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I'll continue to talk about the lineup and trades and signings because I like doing it but realistically, there's a black cloud above this team. We all know who they are. NOTHING will change next year unless there is an actual change.

Precisely where I've been for a few seasons now.

I think the moves I've discussed time and again leading into this season were palatable, available, and would have been better than what we came up with. If I were batting 0 I'd probably chill a bit.

But I'm with you and most folks here - it doesn't matter one single iota if organizational changes aren't made. You could somehow land my (current) dream acquisition in Marner for this group and the coach would have him focus all his energy into PKing (which he's already great at) and turn him into a 40 point player overnight. Right way, and all that.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
sullivan will not be fired. He is held in high regard by the Boston beanies. But I do think Dubas will have the power to fire him if things do not improve next year. they can eat the 11 million and he can coach Toronto after next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad