Can Lucic bounce back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Name a worse signing. This guy wasn't even that good last year and crap in the playoffs. He was like what? The 8th best forward on the team in the playoffs. Phony leadership.
Signing was terrible. Nothing we could really do about it other than make the most of Lucic and play him in a lesser role with lesser players

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
I think he genuinely cares and wants to contribute to the team but is frustrated. I think he'll make some changes in the off season to improve his speed. He'll probably bounce between the 2nd and 3rd line and put up 40+ points next year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If Vancouver was willing to take him for Loui Eriksson I think we'd have to consider it. Eriksson hasn't worked in Vancouver but his shot and skill level is way better than Lucic and contract is one year shorter.

I could see Eriksson doing ok at least with one of McDavid, Drai, or Nuge.

Vanqu1sh

Feb 28, 2013
Edmonton
He has a hard time receiving passes in stride, and generally making plays while skating. His acceleration is pathetic, he pivots and accelerates so slow off a standstill it's basically a guaranteed turnover. He looks at the puck when he's catching it and handling it, not moving, so he has no idea where to move it to while he's being pressured and constantly turning it over to the other team with blind passes. And he doesn't think he needs a skill coach, is that actually true? So he's going to up his MMA game again and come in "such great shape" with the same skills he's always had, and expect something different? If he brings the same package next year as he did this season, and is expecting different results, due to luck, circumstance, whatever is going on in his head, I think he needs a serious wake up call. Lucic is getting older and slower and everyone else is getting younger and faster, and he sticks out in a bad way for his choppy skills and poor skating. On top of it all he doesn't/can't even hit and intimidate, or go to the front of the net and cash in some easy goals anymore. The guy is barely getting by on the 3rd line and isn't a help on special teams for his 6 mil bucks.

Maybe lose 15 bs in his upper body, improve his skating technique/edgework, improve his stick skills/passing, and adapt the package he has as best he can to a league that has changed a lot since he's entered it, and he could be a useful NHL player.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
I feel like Lucic struggling this year might be very valuable for him moving forward. I feel he is going to appraoch the off-season focusing on reshaping his game...skills coach, getting lighter, getting faster. All of those things might turn Lucic into an extremely valuable player for this team moving forward. I also feel that Tmac doesn't understand how to utilize Lucic to the best of his ability and that under a new coach...if that happens, Lucic will be put in a position that suits his strengths. I don't feel he is a lost cause, but just like many others on this team, a product of the broken system overall due to the coaching.
The coaches failed to get the most out of the players this season, but Lucic was given every opportunity they could think of. Perhaps a proper PP and point shot would help . But his game needs to change if his performance is going to improve over this season's showing. (regarless of coach)

IMO there is still hope. Dude started the season pretty well so he's not far removed from showing some good play. He'll have a long off season and should have a good idea of what needs to changed. Lumbering wrecking ball isn't a good match for how teams are playing the game right now. He could put zero resources into upper body weight and still be a physical presence.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Depends what you mean by “bounce back.” Do you mean might he become a useful player again? Possibly. If by that you mean is he going to return to his younger 5 on 5 producing, intimidating monster who puts up 20-25 goals and 55 points? Nope. If you mean getting anywhere close to earning his albatross contract into his 30s? Completely effing impossible.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Has anyone even asked McDavid and Drai if they still want to carry Lucic at this point? Lucic nearly cost McDavid his scoring title. He's Strome's problem now

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Name a worse signing. This guy wasn't even that good last year and crap in the playoffs. He was like what? The 8th best forward on the team in the playoffs. Phony leadership.

I have my opinion and you have yours -which you repeat over and over relentlessly shutting down any others with opinions that differ from yours.

We get it. You hate Lucic.

Let others say their piece.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Why wasn't he used as the front of net presence this year?

Just seems like he's made for screening goalies and crashing the net. Maybe getting deflections and rebounds.

Kreider/Smyth style.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Why wasn't he used as the front of net presence this year?

Just seems like he's made for screening goalies and crashing the net. Maybe getting deflections and rebounds.

Kreider/Smyth style.
He's been used in front of the net a lot, just not memorable cause he hasn't been executing on his opportunities.
I think he genuinely cares and wants to contribute to the team but is frustrated. I think he'll make some changes in the off season to improve his speed. He'll probably bounce between the 2nd and 3rd line and put up 40+ points next year.
I feel mostly this way, but I don't think he'll improve his speed notably, just be a bit lighter and more energetic, I think just resetting mentally is what he needs the most and a good off-season of training can give the perception of change which is what he needs more than actual change. I also hope he hires a nutritionist to slim down he'll have a lot more success that way, he seems more like the kind of guy to just count on work ethic to slim down and bit of bro science.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Depends what you mean by “bounce back.” Do you mean might he become a useful player again? Possibly. If by that you mean is he going to return to his younger 5 on 5 producing, intimidating monster who puts up 20-25 goals and 55 points? Nope. If you mean getting anywhere close to earning his albatross contract into his 30s? Completely effing impossible.

Sadly I agree with this. Lucic being a 60 point guy who could intimidate and beat people up. Never going to return. I just hope he can be a 30 point 3rd line forward.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Sadly I agree with this. Lucic being a 60 point guy who could intimidate and beat people up. Never going to return. I just hope he can be a 30 point 3rd line forward.

I think Lucic can return to being a 50-point guy. Not sure it will happen, or it's in the best interest of the team, but that's where he was last year so it's not outrageous to think he can be back there.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
It's wild. I was watching Drai's 5 point game from the playoffs the other day, and Lucic had a couple really great feeds. You would never know it was the same guy.

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
So Lucic and his wife are having another child, its a boy. With his wife being pregnant and the whole situation around all that, maybe thats a reason for his declining play this season? Just an idea.

Walter Sobchak

Dec 30, 2015
Lucic's contract is a killer but he will be better next year, especially if his role is as a third line energy/physical forward. I like him playing with Strome.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Personally I cant see it. Maybe he can have a better year than this year, but I dont see him drastically improving.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Didn't he drop weight to try and be better this year?

He's done unfortunately. He has been trending down forma while now. Was still putting up some points on the top line but he is slow and can't think the game anymore.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I hated Lucic playing in the top 6 all year but I have to admit I like the Lucic-Strome-Pulju line yesterday.

I think we have something there. 10M for a 3rd line is reasonable

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I hated Lucic playing in the top 6 all year but I have to admit I like the Lucic-Strome-Pulju line yesterday.

I guess if you care more about Lucic then developing JP.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

That line was amazing at screwing up scoring chances. Putting the three most snakebit skaters on the same line was a pretty good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad