Can Chara Play Until 50?

GaboriklessWild

Oct 20, 2013
Chara is a proud athlete. He will not accept such a small role (10min/game) like Chelios did.

Chara will play until he is the best defensive defencemen of his team: No. 1 shutdown and PK dman.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Chara led all NHL defensemen in the first round of the playoffs with a +6. He was only on the ice for 3 even-strength goals against.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Do people understand that being bigger and stronger than other people has always been a benefit in sports?

If I read one more time 'If he wasn't so big...' - but he is.
Have you tried to deke out a 6'9" defence man? Guys that are 6'4" 220lb are a pain and you know when they're on the ice (and I'm 6 foot) - trying to get around Chara would be a nightmare.

Saying he's only relevant because he's big is like saying Pat Kane is only good because he's fast. Ya, that's what makes them good.

Reactions: DangleCity

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Don’t think anyone ever will again.

The standard of fitness and speed is too high in today’s game. The hands and mind can keep up but the legs just won’t go with them.

Personally I think it's mostly mental fatigue. It just gets difficult to keep focused once your in your 40s day in day out - even if you love what you do. That spark that drives you gets tougher to find. - injuries aside.
- not to say you don't lose ability, speed and core strength - just that a lot of great players could've played to 50 if they accepted a more limited role and held onto their urgency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad