Advice: Can anyone recommend a knee brace?

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I'm about to make my return to playing after rehabbing a torn MCL. I'm looking for a slim fitting knee brace that still has metal bars to limit lateral movement. Does anyone have any recommendations?

The brace my ortho gave me is a little too limiting and bulky to fit comfortably under my shins.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'm about to make my return to playing after rehabbing a torn MCL. I'm looking for a slim fitting knee brace that still has metal bars to limit lateral movement. Does anyone have any recommendations?

The brace my ortho gave me is a little too limiting and bulky to fit comfortably under my shins.
Honestly my best advice on this one would be to consult with your ortho about potential options. The one I went to at Duke for years was able to work with me and get one (prescription) that has a good deal of stability without being overly limiting on the ice. Just speaking as someone that had a similar injury situation using something that's not sturdy enough can be a major issue.

Reactions: SlavinAway

AceKing21

Oct 19, 2021
Central NY
My son tore his ACL-MCL and when he was ready to get back into playing sports he wore the McDavid 429X. He said the compression was great, stability was great and it was light. He used it for about a year post recovery.

Reactions: SlavinAway

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I'd try them on because everyones legs have a unique shape to them. I have an odd case where I tore my ACL (confirmed by lachman test & MRI) then went for my consult with the surgeon a year later, lachman test showed fully functionality of the ACL and he said there's no way it's torn. Thought that was fishy, waited for a second opinion from another consult with a surgeon, this surgeon also confirmed ACL functionality by lachman test & said it's not torn. I still have intermittent pain in the knee but am still able to play fine.

I tried one of the McDavid hinged ones and the hinges dug into my leg, I just wear very low profile one now. It basically looks like a compression sleeve but it also has a patella buttress & aluminum support stays on the sides. May not be enough support for your case though. Works well for me and alleviates pain.
MD_5213_HyperBlendKneeSleeveGelStay_2000x.png

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

I’ve gone with this one. It offers the compression style benefits, but it also has a hinge to keep you from over extending. I took it with me to try on under shin guards and found a CCM one where it fits snugly underneath.

It doesn’t limit my skating at all, and after a dude fell onto my leg one time, I’m also pretty convinced the brace helped avert a serious injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad