Confirmed with Link: Campbell/Clifford to the leafs

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Looking good to sell in the defensive market right now. I think the only way Quick moves is if a starter for an obvious playoff team goes down and they don't have confidence in their backup. His play has slid a bit but GM's know he is a playoff beast.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Clifford could bring a 2nd, especially with retention.

I was completely shocked that Clifford pulled a 3rd. That was way beyond my expectations when looking at past deadline trades. I tried to find some recent comparables and these two were the best I could come up with.

Pat Maroon was traded for a 3rd round pick, he was coming off a 17-43 season and had 14-30 at the time he was traded.
Mark Letetsu was traded for a 4th round pick, he was coming off of a 16-35 season and had 8-19 at the time he was traded.

Clifford was traded for a 3rd(that can become a 2nd), he is coming off of a 11-21 season and has 6-14 now. Points aren't everything and Clifford provides great leadership and toughness, but 4th line winger rentals don't typically have a lot of value.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I was completely shocked that Clifford pulled a 3rd. That was way beyond my expectations when looking at past deadline trades. I tried to find some recent comparables and these two were the best I could come up with.

Pat Maroon was traded for a 3rd round pick, he was coming off a 17-43 season and had 14-30 at the time he was traded.
Mark Letetsu was traded for a 4th round pick, he was coming off of a 16-35 season and had 8-19 at the time he was traded.

Clifford was traded for a 3rd(that can become a 2nd), he is coming off of a 11-21 season and has 6-14 now. Points aren't everything and Clifford provides great leadership and toughness, but 4th line winger rentals don't typically have a lot of value.

I thought he could pull a 2nd from the right contender, i.e. the contender would have to be young and in need of what Clifford actually brings on the ice along with the intangibles with the latter being important.

Clifford is a warrior and is as honest as they come. No bullshit with him. Good fit for a Leafs team that hasn't been able to win a playoff series since forever. Now, would Boston give up a 3rd for him? They don't need what he brings so no, they wouldn't.

I think every contender would like to have a Clifford available to them in the playoffs but a lot of them already have their version or they have experienced vets to the point where, yeah, they wouldn't give up much.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

ya you're probably right. In my head teams like to overpay for physical play come the playoff time and also for stanley cup pedigree.

Reactions: crassbonanza

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
I thought he could pull a 2nd from the right contender, i.e. the contender would have to be young and in need of what Clifford actually brings on the ice along with the intangibles with the latter being important.

Clifford is a warrior and is as honest as they come. No bull**** with him. Good fit for a Leafs team that hasn't been able to win a playoff series since forever. Now, would Boston give up a 3rd for him? They don't need what he brings so no, they wouldn't.

I think every contender would like to have a Clifford available to them in the playoffs but a lot of them already have their version or they have experienced vets to the point where, yeah, they wouldn't give up much.

Like I said, I appreciate all of the intangibles that Cliffy has. He may be the f***ing intangibles King(heh) of the league, but intangibles are only worth so much. Just look at past trade deadlines, 4th liner winger rentals just don't go for 2nd round picks. Hell, even 2nd line wingers don't tend to go for 2nd round picks. Last season Simmonds was traded for Ryan Hartman, who the Flyers didn't even qualify this year. The Kings traded absolutely nothing for Iginla a few deadlines ago.

I honestly can't think of any Clifford comparable trades that ended up in a 2nd round pick or higher in recent memory.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Like I said, I appreciate all of the intangibles that Cliffy has. He may be the ****ing intangibles King(heh) of the league, but intangibles are only worth so much. Just look at past trade deadlines, 4th liner winger rentals just don't go for 2nd round picks. Hell, even 2nd line wingers don't tend to go for 2nd round picks. Last season Simmonds was traded for Ryan Hartman, who the Flyers didn't even qualify this year. The Kings traded absolutely nothing for Iginla a few deadlines ago.

I honestly can't think of any Clifford comparable trades that ended up in a 2nd round pick or higher in recent memory.

This is why it had to be the right team. I thought he could possibly pull a 2nd from the right team but a 3rd is not surprising at all.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
ya you're probably right. In my head teams like to overpay for physical play come the playoff time and also for stanley cup pedigree.

I think they do overpay, relatively speaking. I just think teams are tighter with their picks lately.

Although, now that I was thinking about it Brian Boyle was traded for a 2nd, he does play center, but he is a relatively similar example. So, you are right that it happens occasionally.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
This is why it had to be the right team. I thought he could possibly pull a 2nd from the right team but a 3rd is not surprising at all.

I did think of an example, with Brian Boyle being traded for a 2nd a few years back. It's definitely not common to get a 3rd round pick or better for a 4th line winger rental though.

Reactions: BigKing

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
what a difference, get sent to toronto and you've immediately got short videos being made about you plastered on the official twitter

we get a little blurb about moore being from CA

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
what a difference, get sent to toronto and you've immediately got short videos being made about you plastered on the official twitter

we get a little blurb about moore being from CA

They are to Toronto what the Lakers are to LA. I was there in September during camp and was amazed how much press they got, it was again like LA with the Lakers.

What a total shock it must be for them.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
They are to Toronto what the Lakers are to LA. I was there in September during camp and was amazed how much press they got, it was again like LA with the Lakers.

What a total shock it must be for them.

Hype wise, sure. But the Leafs haven't had anywhere close to the level of success the Lakers have had post-1967. Lakers have, what, 10 championships since 1970?

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Looks like they might have quite a bit to talk about over the weekend, vs Ducks tonight and Habs tomorrow.

And Clifford playing w/Spezza .

I will definitely be watching. I'm a bit worried for Campbell, the Leafs have a really bad defensive core that is prone to huge defensive lapses. The Kreider 6 second goal from last game is a perfect example. They have Muzzin and Barrie and 4 other guys with little to no experience. Dermott has 141 games, Lil(if he is up?) has 1 game, Sandin has 14 games and Holl has 65 games.

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
Hype wise, sure. But the Leafs haven't had anywhere close to the level of success the Lakers have had post-1967. Lakers have, what, 10 championships since 1970?

72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88, 00, 01, 02, 09, 10.

Not to mention other finals appearances in 73, 83, 84, 89, 91, 04 and 08.

Between 1980 and 2010, they made the finals 16 times!

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well Jack and Clifford got their 1st games last night and I have to say if that is the level of effort Kyle Clifford is going to give every night, then fans are going to LOVE Kyle Clifford.

Campbell was pretty good too for the most part, although maybe don't handle the puck, maybe don't do that, that led to bad things happening.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Kovalchuk vs Campbell and Clifford tonight.

More excited to watch that than the LA/NJ game tbh.

Why?

Don't turn into one of those awful Flyers "fans" who suddenly started caring about the Kings because a player got traded here. You're to good a fan and poster here.

Team > Player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad