Recalled/Assigned: Cam Schilling recalled to Jets

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
The doctors performing the tests know a LOT more than I do..... I won't even bother commenting.
I will comment.

I have seen enough players clearly concussed (and later confirmed) at the time of the incident allowed to come back across several leagues.

Tired of seeing it

Reactions: Crocket

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
What if he lied about symptoms?

It seemed he was insistent to not go into the protocol in the first place.

It's not like they just ask if he's okay. Part of it is that they ask him a bunch of questions and see if he gives the same answers as during TC.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Just to take things way off topic in the Buff concussion thread :sarcasm: But it must feel like one hell of an opportunity for Schilling to get into a NHL game after 3 years. I'll be rooting for the guy.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
It's not like they just ask if he's okay. Part of it is that they ask him a bunch of questions and see if he gives the same answers as during TC.

I've gotten a concussion in the past. I could answer questions fine.

EDIT: I think I agree with you. We need to stop giving players the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I've gotten a concussion in the past. I could answer questions fine.

EDIT: I think I agree with you. We need to stop giving players the benefit of the doubt.

If I was an owner I would take it out of their hands.

If they want to piss and moan and complain and demand a trade or whatever the hell they want to do, so be it .

The message would be clear: We didn't like what we saw, we are putting your health and safety first, and that is the bottom line.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
I will comment.

I have seen enough players clearly concussed (and later confirmed) at the time of the incident allowed to come back across several leagues.

Tired of seeing it

Absolutely. When someone is knocked out, or incapacitated as he was, there is no question he should wait 48 hours at least, to see if there are symptoms. Most concussion symptoms don't materialize until 48 hours or more go by, exactly like Byfuglien experienced. That is very common and well known. And the reason is also because if he fell again, or was hit again; that is when serious irreversible damage can be sustained: second impact syndrome.

Second-impact Syndrome | UW Medicine

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Just to take things way off topic in the Buff concussion thread :sarcasm: But it must feel like one hell of an opportunity for Schilling to get into a NHL game after 3 years. I'll be rooting for the guy.

I agree. That's how Francois Beauchemin was discovered.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Because it must be inherently flawed if he passed it.
There is actually no immediate test you can do after that can rule out a concussion, you can positively affirm one, but you can't say one wasn't suffered based on cognitive response tests.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad