Cam Neely

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by vicprestige, Oct 11, 2017.

1. vicprestige

vicprestige Registered User

I was looking through the forums for a thread on Cam Neely and couldn't find anything. Figured I'd ask the history board: What was the general consensus on Neely when he was playing? His stats in goal scoring are extremely impressive but I rarely hear much talk about him.

2. 29GoalHoglund

29GoalHoglund McDavid will score 122 points.

He was pretty big for a while.

I started following hockey toward the end of his prime, but I remember hearing a lot of fuss about him growing up. He was called the prototypical power forward and I remember there was talk about how Todd Bertuzzi wanted to emulate him circa 2003.

The hype train probably climaxed near the time of his HHOF induction. Since then, it seems like there's been more of a push-back by people who think he shouldn't have made it into the HHOF than positive talk or hype about Cam.

vicprestige likes this.
  3. ConorMcGregor

ConorMcGregor Registered User

Cam Neely is the guy who Scott Stevens lined up for a hit and the one time I ever saw Stevens bounce off a direct hit he initiated onto his butt while the skater powered through it to score a goal.

4. Hockey Outsider

Hockey Outsider Registered User

This is what I remember as well. There was lots of talk about him being one of the best players not in the Hall of Fame prior to his induction. Then, very soon after he was enshrined, he was often criticized as a weak induction. I think both statements are partly true (he’s a borderline candidate and people would be able to legitimately complain regardless of which side he ended up on).

5. The Panther

The Panther Registered User

There was a period there when he was a really talked-about, majorly hyped player -- circa 1988 to 1994.

Don Cherry was obsessed with him, and would never shut up about him. As others said, he was the original model of the 90s' "power forward".

As far as the Hall of Fame goes, could we maybe say Neely is a bit Kariya-ish? His peak (as a goal-scorer) was extremely high, but his peak wasn't that long and reduced by frequent injuries. He helped power Boston through to two Cup Finals, but in those Finals he didn't do much. (Unlike Kariya, though, Neely was almost an also-ran player his first three seasons in Vancouver.)

6. Howie Hodge

Howie Hodge Registered User

Cam Neely is one of those players who was cheated by injuries. Had he stayed healthy he'd have been up among all time goal scoring leaders IMHO.

He scored 395 career goals. His average was .66 goals a game in Boston. He missed around 220 games in his prime due to his injury. That's another 145 goals.

If he played until he was 34 instead of 30, he stood to probably play another 280 games. Even if his goals/game dropped to .50, he'd have had another 140 goals.

That's around 680 goals.

Now he could have hit a wall at 31; or he could have played until his late thirties, we don't know.

Just a little perspective on what he could possibly have done.

Not sure what Adjusted Scoring Statistics would have to say about his scoring though.....

7. Bustedprospect

Bustedprospect Registered User

A player like Neely, Lindros or Forsberg lasting a full career is a oxymoron. Live by the sword, die by the sword".

Sentinel likes this.
  8. The Panther

The Panther Registered User

How do you explain Mark Messier, Gordie Howe, and Chris Chelios?

9. Hobnobs

Hobnobs Pinko

Cam Neely hype was real until around the time he was inducted into the HHoF. Then he was an overrated power forward who never won anything. Cam was a gifted player but I think his legacy has been tarnished by things out of his control and some things he could control like the Seguin video. He's also become the face of the honorable canadians vs the dirty euros like Neely was some kind of saint on the ice.

10. Bustedprospect

Both Messier and Chelios did only play really tough early in their careers.

Gordie is sort of a unique player. But he played alot against smaller players that lacked the conditioning and strength of especially 90s d-men.

11. Hobnobs

Hobnobs Pinko

When you live in a fantasy world where Gus Mortson, Lou Fontinato, Doug Harvey, Harry Howell, Jack Evans, Tom Johnson and Jimmy Thomson were small players that lacked condition and strength.

12. Bustedprospect

At best a few percent were more than 200lbs in that time. Very few 6'1/6'2. Most forward looked more than Brian Gionta than Howe.

13. tony d

tony d Pepe not pepsi Sponsor

Office Worker
    Very good player who got cheated by injuries. What could have been applies to a lot of guys and that definitely includes Neely.

14. Nick Hansen

Nick Hansen Registered User

They had small hands.

15. tarheelhockey

tarheelhockey Global Moderator

That says a lot about the passage of time. Neely's ascendance and tragic downfall was one of the things people wouldn't shut up about for 10 years or so.

16. Hobnobs

Hobnobs Pinko

and that makes them lack strength and conditioning, how? Relative to the time ofcourse.

Also you say Chelios and Messier only played tough early in their careers. Chelios was known for leading Hawks tough defense in the old Norris Division age 30-36, Neely retired at 30...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 12:37 PM
  17. 29GoalHoglund

29GoalHoglund McDavid will score 122 points.

I was thinking the season where he scored 50 goals in under 50 games would be considerably less impressive in terms of adjusted totals, but according to hockey reference, his goal total of 50 goals in 49 games in 1994 adjusts to 45 goals.

Think about that: 45 era-adjusted goals in only 49 games. That's absolutely crazy.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/n/neelyca01.html

For the sake of comparison: Ovechkin's '08 season (65 goals in 82 games) adjusts to 72 goals. Cam's adjusted goals per game pace in '94 was actually slightly higher.

Of course, I don't know if he would have sustained that pace over 82 or 84 games, but the guy was an absolute monster that season when he did play.

[YT]

[YT]

And he was an actor as well!

[YT]

Tmu84 likes this.
  18. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Registered Derp

I loved Neely during his playing days, but his legacy does tend to get a bit overrated due to his shortened career and how it basically ended in the middle of his prime.

He was a tough player. Strong, physical, mean, and a hell of a goal scorer. He was sort of the beginning of what we defined as "powerfowards" in the 90s.

I can't say I agreed with his HOF induction, but I didn't completely hate it.

19. BobbyAwe

BobbyAwe Registered User

machine operator
    When you look up highlight reels on notable players, it's usually as scorers or fighters. Neely has highlight reels just of goals, just of hits, and just of fights.

20. BLNY

BLNY Registered User

He was a Habs killer. There's no doubt the small ice at the Garden favoured his style of play, but he could elevate his game on the road too. He was so strong on his feet and had great hands.

21. vicprestige

vicprestige Registered User

Yeah I do remember Roy said Neely gave him the most trouble out of all other players

22. 4Orr

4Orr Registered User

Merchant Marineer

Actually, its 50 goals in 44 games.

23. weaponomega

weaponomega Registered User

Bank Robber
    As well, he didn't suffer much of a drop off in the playoffs - especially in goal scoring. He was routinely a beast in the playoffs and continually put up great numbers on a Bruins team that lacked depth outside of he and Bourque.

24. the edler

the edler Valeri Bure fan

I can see why this scene was deleted, haha.

25. James Walker

James Walker Registered User

Neely scored 50 goals in his first 44 games then went scoreless in his final 5.
    So, technically he scored 50 goals in 44 games and scored 50 goals in 49 games.