Player Discussion Cam Fowler

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I get the feeling that Fowler wants to stay here. I think the main issue is making the dollars work, and how much of a discount is required to make everything line up.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I get the feeling that Fowler wants to stay here. I think the main issue is making the dollars work, and how much of a discount is required to make everything line up.

I hope so. But I do not have any ''proof'' to think that (or otherwise as well).

I do want to point out that how he handled the situation in the past 1-2 years (constantly being in the rumors that he`ll be shipped out, especially the past offseason where it looked inevitable) and how he is responding to that by playing the best hockey of his career is pretty amazing and shows he has a good character (he`s also the first to get the A when some of the trio is out, I believe).
Not all players handle the situation like Cam did (I think Ryan was one of them, who took it much worse).
Cam is not looking for excuses but he`s getting the job done. He is also mostly been rising his level in the offseason. Also - he turned 25 only 2 months ago :laugh: Personally, I still find it hard to wrap my head around that. He is barely entering his prime now but is already 2nd in franchise points, assists and PP points for defensemen. Leading in SH goals. With a new contract he`d probably lead all the major offensive categories for defensemen in franchise history and I`d be more than happy with that.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think fowler has a certain type of loyalty to the team, maybe not expressed but he def seems to want to play here/enjoy it here.

I think the fact that he fell so hard in the draft and how excited we were to get him was a big confidence booster to him. No big money really due when his contract is up and we lose stoner/bieskas... I imagine well try to keep cogliano, Manson and Ritchie will both get raises but I don't think were talking crazy numbers. I also imagine Vatanen will be gone, so we should have a bunch of room to work him in.

Anyone have any guess what his price tag is likely at... I'm guessing 6 range right now... but if he keeps up his pace and does same stuff next season while continuing to increase his defensive play could be a bit higher.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Fowler will be in his prime as an Ufa 7 is the minimum

This. Fowler taking 6 million would be leaving at least 10 million on the table over the course of his next contract. With the cap going up there is a team out there that would give him 8 X 7.5. If the nonsense on July 1st allows declining players like David Clarkson, Andrew Ladd, and Milan Lucic to get paid crazy money, it'll certainly allow Cam Fowler a 25 year old who is getting better to get the cash he deserves.

Hopefully he really wants to stay but I will not blame him if he takes as much money as he can get from some other team. This is his chance to cash in huge

I know there will be fans that feel "betrayed" if/when he leaves but that's just stupid IMO

Thankfully he's a free agent after next year and not this year

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
I think fowler has a certain type of loyalty to the team, maybe not expressed but he def seems to want to play here/enjoy it here.

I think the fact that he fell so hard in the draft and how excited we were to get him was a big confidence booster to him. No big money really due when his contract is up and we lose stoner/bieskas... I imagine well try to keep cogliano, Manson and Ritchie will both get raises but I don't think were talking crazy numbers. I also imagine Vatanen will be gone, so we should have a bunch of room to work him in.

Anyone have any guess what his price tag is likely at... I'm guessing 6 range right now... but if he keeps up his pace and does same stuff next season while continuing to increase his defensive play could be a bit higher.

He'll be resigned before next season starts if he is kept over Vatanen. The only reason he'll be kept is if Murray knows he can resign him, so there is no need to wait on completing his extension. I believe the deal will get hammered out as quickly as possible, to ensure Ducks aren't in a position to lose him by dragging it out. As it stands, He'll likely be between 6-7 million. I can see him in the lower range, but could command the higher end of that scale. The reason I don't see him getting the higher end of that scale is a stagnant cap and Ducks won't let him play next season w/out an extension in hopes he'll raise his pay. If he's going into next season with the idea he can earn more than he will this summer, Ducks are trading him prior to expansion.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
He'll be resigned before next season starts if he is kept over Vatanen. The only reason he'll be kept is if Murray knows he can resign him, so there is no need to wait on completing his extension. I believe the deal will get hammered out as quickly as possible, to ensure Ducks aren't in a position to lose him by dragging it out. As it stands, He'll likely be between 6-7 million. I can see him in the lower range, but could command the higher end of that scale. The reason I don't see him getting the higher end of that scale is a stagnant cap and Ducks won't let him play next season w/out an extension in hopes he'll raise his pay. If he's going into next season with the idea he can earn more than he will this summer, Ducks are trading him prior to expansion.

Well you're dreaming then. He's in his prime, this will be his "big" contract of his career, he isn't taking less than 7 million most like 7.5-7.9. Look at the contracts that are being passed out around the league.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
This. Fowler taking 6 million would be leaving at least 10 million on the table over the course of his next contract. With the cap going up there is a team out there that would give him 8 X 7.5. If the nonsense on July 1st allows declining players like David Clarkson, Andrew Ladd, and Milan Lucic to get paid crazy money, it'll certainly allow Cam Fowler a 25 year old who is getting better to get the cash he deserves.

Hopefully he really wants to stay but I will not blame him if he takes as much money as he can get from some other team. This is his chance to cash in huge

I know there will be fans that feel "betrayed" if/when he leaves but that's just stupid IMO

I'll have no hate for Fowler if he leaves seeker a bigger paycheck. With a stagnant cap, I don't see him getting that much from us. If he is seeking the biggest payday possible, then he'll be gone. People thought Hampus was going to be getting 6+, but they signed him for much less. Even the UFA market was less crazy this season. I think Fowler could potentially hit that mark if he goes the UFA route, but I expect him to be less than that if he's on the Ducks.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
I'll have no hate for Fowler if he leaves seeker a bigger paycheck. With a stagnant cap, I don't see him getting that much from us. If he is seeking the biggest payday possible, then he'll be gone. People thought Hampus was going to be getting 6+, but they signed him for much less. Even the UFA market was less crazy this season. I think Fowler could potentially hit that mark if he goes the UFA route, but I expect him to be less than that if he's on the Ducks.

Hampus is a RFA, Fowler is an UFA and now has olympian, all star, etc. Plus breaking out offensively this year.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
Well you're dreaming then. He's in his prime, this will be his "big" contract of his career, he isn't taking less than 7 million most like 7.5-7.9

Paying that much for a guy who has never been on the elite side of D is pretty ridiculous. He's playing a solid all around game this year, but the continuing stagnant cap is bringing salaries down and will continue to do so. He might be in his prime, but he's not in the elite category, and that's were you make the $$$ of 7+. For instance, Hedman is a player entering the elite category and got into that 7.8 range. Alex Pietrangelo, Yandle, Seabrook, Green are the more comparable players. All those guys are making around the 6.5 range. Yes, Fowler is having a great season and entering his prime, but those are the comparable players. He's not going to get Victor Hedman money.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Getting Fowler at 6 would be golden; we might not have to be in cap hell if we can sign him to a deal like that.

No doubt he could get over 7 from someone on the open market but we'll have to see what he gets for us, if he does re-sign. Hopefully BM is not a moron and starts working on the contract extension as soon as he's allowed to.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

Should Fowler hit the UFA market, he'd easily be the most sought-after free agent in a while. 26-year-old top pairing D are a rare commodity these days, somebody would throw at least 7x7 at him. But like you said, it all comes down to what Cam Fowler wants to do here.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Paying that much for a guy who has never been on the elite side of D is pretty ridiculous. He's playing a solid all around game this year, but the continuing stagnant cap is bringing salaries down and will continue to do so. He might be in his prime, but he's not in the elite category, and that's were you make the $$$ of 7+. For instance, Hedman is a player entering the elite category and got into that 7.8 range. Alex Pietrangelo, Yandle, Seabrook, Green are the more comparable players. All those guys are making around the 6.5 range. Yes, Fowler is having a great season and entering his prime, but those are the comparable players. He's not going to get Victor Hedman money.

All those contracts were signed a lot time ago. Mike Green is making 6 million and he just turned 31.... and he's not where near as good as Fowler anymore, thats your comparison?

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
All those contracts were signed a lot time ago. Mike Green is making 6 million and he just turned 31.... and he's not where near as good as Fowler anymore, thats your comparison?

He's in that category. You single out one guy, when all the others are pretty apt. He's younger than those guys, but the cap not raising is going to hurt contracts. Look at guys like Perron, who signed under 4. Even McGinn at 3.3 was a lot less than people expected. Yandle is a pretty good comparable, just signing for 6.35 w/Florida as a 29 year old. Again, I see him between the 6-7 range, not over the 7 range (if he stays with us).

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013

Seabrook signed his contract last year as a 30 year old. Yandle signed his as a 29 year old this past offseason. Green signed last year as a 30 year old. Pietrangelo is the only one who signed his contract a while back.

Again, you have to put the salary cap being stagnant into any $$$ discussion. Guys get these big contracts with the assumption the cap is going to continue going up. The cap staying pretty much flat the past few seasons is causing the rates to come down considerably. Guys that go to FA, go there for the big $$$. Look at Stamkos, he could've made over 10 mil if he went to FA, but decided to stay in TB at 8.5. Fowler deserves to be in that 6-7 mil range. If he is asking over 7mil a season, he's not on our team next year. Not saying he can't get it in FA, it's definitely possible, but I highly doubt BM will go there when the cap is going to be staying put. You also have to consider the fact the NHL won't stay with an odd number of teams for very long, so there's another expansion draft that plays into it. They also showed the numbers regarding what expansion teams need to make to continue the projected cap numbers, but it's not likely those clubs will do so, which would cause the cap to remain stagnant for a while, unless the loonie makes a big turnaround.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Seabrook signed his contract last year as a 30 year old. Yandle signed his as a 29 year old this past offseason. Green signed last year as a 30 year old. Pietrangelo is the only one who signed his contract a while back.

Again, you have to put the salary cap being stagnant into any $$$ discussion. Guys get these big contracts with the assumption the cap is going to continue going up. The cap staying pretty much flat the past few seasons is causing the rates to come down considerably. Guys that go to FA, go there for the big $$$. Look at Stamkos, he could've made over 10 mil if he went to FA, but decided to stay in TB at 8.5. Fowler deserves to be in that 6-7 mil range. If he is asking over 7mil a season, he's not on our team next year. Not saying he can't get it in FA, it's definitely possible, but I highly doubt BM will go there when the cap is going to be staying put. You also have to consider the fact the NHL won't stay with an odd number of teams for very long, so there's another expansion draft that plays into it. They also showed the numbers regarding what expansion teams need to make to continue the projected cap numbers, but it's not likely those clubs will do so, which would cause the cap to remain stagnant for a while, unless the loonie makes a big turnaround.

If you include Florida taxes he made around the same amount.....

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

That is my feeling as well. Fowler seems like he wants to be here, and he's been nothing but professional even with all the trade rumors that surrounded him. He's become a leader on this team. Yeah, he may price himself out of our range, or he may just straight up want to follow the money. That's not something any of us can really answer.

But he's a player that I hope Murray works hard to try to hold on to. The only defenseman that I'd try harder to keep is Lindholm, and thankfully that has already been accomplished and for good long-term value. To me, that opens the door to keep Fowler, if he's willing to sign at a reasonable price. I think having Lindholm and Fowler, locked up long-term, has been the kind of optimistic dream that we've been crossing our fingers for, and with Lindholm signed to his contract we're partway there.

It's also worth noting that he has a prominent role here, on a pretty good team. That's important to some players. For some, I even think it's worth taking less money for. I hope he's one of those guys.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
If you include Florida taxes he made around the same amount.....
Yet we got Lindholm under 6M in an extremely tax unfriendly state compared to Ekblad in a tax-friendly state who got over 7M.

Taxes may play a part, but it's not going to be the difference between Fowler getting 6 or 8 million.

His comparables all sit between 6 and 7.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
That is my feeling as well. Fowler seems like he wants to be here, and he's been nothing but professional even with all the trade rumors that surrounded him. He's become a leader on this team. Yeah, he may price himself out of our range, or he may just straight up want to follow the money. That's not something any of us can really answer.

But he's a player that I hope Murray works hard to try to hold on to. The only defenseman that I'd try harder to keep is Lindholm, and thankfully that has already been accomplished and for good long-term value. To me, that opens the door to keep Fowler, if he's willing to sign at a reasonable price. I think having Lindholm and Fowler, locked up long-term, has been the kind of optimistic dream that we've been crossing our fingers for, and with Lindholm signed to his contract we're partway there.

It's also worth noting that he has a prominent role here, on a pretty good team. That's important to some players. For some, I even think it's worth taking less money for. I hope he's one of those guys.

I agree with you (and Exit Dose).

Before last night's game, they aired a ride-along interview between Kent French and Cam during the Ducks Weekly segment (I think), anyhow, Cam said that he talked to Bob and knows that he wasn't being shopped by the team. The rumors generated from GM's looking at our team's situation and calling about him. I think it's good that he sees it that way rather than the team looking to move him but just not having the right deal manifest. Maybe that's what went down, or maybe Murray was feeding him the company line and Cam bought it... who knows. Either way, it's good that Cam doesn't feel slighted at all, or feel like the team's commitment to him in the long term is in question.

Then again, he could have just been feeding Frenchie the company line, being put on the spot and all. :dunno:

My money is on Fowler signing a long term deal, slightly on the side of team-friendly.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I'd keep Fowler for anything up to the late $6s, somewhere around $6.75M. Anything more is too much. He's having a great year but he's still not good enough defensively to be paying $7M plus to, the only guys making north of $7M should be the elite two way guys or the guys that are close to a PPG like Karlsson and Burns.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'd keep Fowler for anything up to the late $6s, somewhere around $6.75M. Anything more is too much. He's having a great year but he's still not good enough defensively to be paying $7M plus to, the only guys making north of $7M should be the elite two way guys or the guys that are close to a PPG like Karlsson and Burns.

That's kinda my feeling... I know he can prob make 7+ on open market but I wouldn't honestly pay it yet... depending on how the end of this season goes and next season.

DucksAreCool

Feb 24, 2015

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't we the only ones who can sign him to an eight year deal? I thought everyone else can only go seven.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad