Aug 7, 2005
Another shutout for Pickard. Sign him.

1710117973372.png

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
Quoted from GDT.
This is important for people to realize

I'm all for giving pickard some more games down the stretch, however

He's played against 3 teams that are currently in the playoffs, and in those games he's posting a sub .900 s%

Pickard has done a decent job being a career backup, but those expecting him to get games in the playoffs are dreaming

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This board kills me. Pickard was a godsend when he came up and through his first few games. Then he had the bad one where he blew 2 or 3 goals, and people were out to string him up, and now, he's apparently back in the good books and should be replacing Skinner. Have nothing against the guy and appreciate what he's done, but this place gets bi-polar way too often.:laugh:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
This board kills me. Pickard was a godsend when he came up and through his first few games. Then he had the bad one where he blew 2 or 3 goals, and people were out to string him up, and now, he's apparently back in the good books and should be replacing Skinner. Have nothing against the guy and appreciate what he's done, but this place gets bi-polar way too often.:laugh:
Haha I’m still not sold on him but he’s slowly winning me over.

I don’t think he’s as good as skinner but he’s definitely less chaotic.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well lets see if he will sink or swim here, let him have both of the next two starts, Caps game will keep him warm and then Colorado will be a big test. Skinner has played enough anyway.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Gotta love a good story of journeyman players who put in the hard miles to seek that next, right situational opportunity. Pickard is realizing his once promising draft pedigree with a mature, even keel mental approach and efficient technique to gain confidence from his NHL teammates.

Pickard's stable game and veteran poise and demeanour fits well with their young, developing starter. Here's hoping to continuing to build upon his early success to help fortify the last line of their team defending. Engage Captain Pickard ... and boldly go!

EDIT: Adding that Pickard is found money for the organization. Elevating his game to NHL back-up has saved this organization trade assets in a panic seller's market earlier in the year but also cap savings of $3.8 million to keep Campbell's albatross deal in the minors while helping to deploy a full NHL roster during regular season.

Last edited:
Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta

It's why I just lean full homer and if you wear our team colours, I'm going to be optimistic and hoping for the best for you.

Even if I poke fun at Connor Brown :P

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
The Oil need to start Pickard 5 straight games. It would give Skinner the rest he needs before the playoffs and we would see how Pickard holds up during a prolonged string of NHL games.

The way I see it, with Campbell being outstanding in the AHL, we have 3 goaltender options available to us for the postseason. Will the club actually take advantage of this? I have my doubts.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
EDIT: Adding that Pickard is found money for the organization. Elevating his game to NHL back-up has saved this organization trade assets in a panic seller's market earlier in the year but also cap savings of $3.8 million to keep Campbell's albatross deal in the minors while helping to deploy a full NHL roster during regular season.
Yup. His play has saved the Oilers' bacon.. for this year. Between him Skinner, and (buried) Campbell, goaltending costs 7.2125M which is comparable to many teams

I'd see if Pickard would bite on a 3 year, league min. deal. 1 way contract

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Yup. His play has saved the Oilers' bacon.. for this year. Between him Skinner, and (buried) Campbell, goaltending costs 7.2125M which is comparable to many teams

I'd see if Pickard would bite on a 3 year, league min. deal. 1 way contract
Pickard saved us during the regular season and Campbell in the playoffs. Campbell got screwed by not getting his shot against Vegas.

I can understand Campbell's demotion over Skinner because Campbell wasn't going to get claimed while Skinner most likely would have been.

Will Pickard get screwed by only getting a few games during the stretch? Are we going to grind Skinner into the ground again when we know his play goes south when he starts too many games?

This is serious. Someone in the organization would be butthurt if Skinner only got 55 regular season starts. Skinner shouldn't play a game more than 55 this regular season.

Reactions: La Bamba

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Pickard has been very good.

With his save pct stats... he's looking up at very few NHL goalies right now. Goalies that have played more minutes than him and that have a better save pct... Stolarz/Hellebuyck/Swayman/Brossoit ... and that's it.

That's pretty impressive for Pickard to be hanging around at the top of the list... even with the knowledge that yes he's only played in 14 games... but he's been as good of a backup that you'd need and want and that's all you can really ask of him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Pickard has been very good.

With his save pct stats... he's looking up at very few NHL goalies right now. Goalies that have played more minutes than him and that have a better save pct... Stolarz/Hellebuyck/Swayman/Brossoit ... and that's it.

That's pretty impressive for Pickard to be hanging around at the top of the list... even with the knowledge that yes he's only played in 14 games... but he's been as good of a backup that you'd need and want and that's all you can really ask of him.
100%
Pickard has a perfect disposition for a goalie as well. His positive attitude in the room is a 180 degree shift from Jack Campbell.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm curious who in the room has said this?
Just watch Jacks post game interviews from last season.

Unfortunately not every goalie can be Grant Fuhr when it comes to letting things go but Campbell may be his own worst enemy.
His negativity and the extent to which he beats himself up is cringe worthy. That doesnt help a room.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad