Player Discussion Calvin Pickard

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Saw in another thread someone say he is better than Skinner...

I disagree strongly, but he has been everything you could hope from a back up and more. Feasting on the lower teir teams on the end of back to backs is what he should be doing.

Great pickup. Obviously 100 times better than Campbell. Hope he keeps it up.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Saw in another thread someone say he is better than Skinner...

I disagree strongly, but he has been everything you could hope from a back up and more. Feasting on the lower teir teams on the end of back to backs is what he should be doing.

Great pickup. Obviously 100 times better than Campbell. Hope he keeps it up.

The post you saw in the other thread was from a poster whose whole shtick is to discredit anything positive that Skinner does and accuse him of being the league’s worst goalie at all times.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The thing that worries me about this whole setup is the fact that a guy whos been in the AHL for several years can just step onto the Oilers roster and put up Skinner level numbers without much fuss indicates to me that it's the team in front of them that is doing most of the heavy lifting, not the goalies.

Which then begs the question what will happen when the goalies inevitably are asked to do some heavy lifting in the playoffs.

Reactions: Duke74

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
The thing that worries me about this whole setup is the fact that a guy whos been in the AHL for several years can just step onto the Oilers roster and put up Skinner level numbers without much fuss indicates to me that it's the team in front of them that is doing most of the heavy lifting, not the goalies.

Which then begs the question what will happen when the goalies inevitably are asked to do some heavy lifting in the playoffs.

Then why did Campbell go from a ~.915 goalie to a ~.885 goalie?

Reactions: RattsSSV and Kolja

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Whether you're comfortable with him as the fallback or not, suffice to say I don't think there's really anyone you could acquire for a split role that you can really say would guarantee anything. The position seems so volatile that outside of maybe 5 guys every year, it seems to be a crapshoot of who gets hot in the post season.

Short of trading or designating Skinner as the backup after coming this far, and bringing in maybe Saros to be the bona-fide #1, there's nobody I can reasonably think will just have it.

Reactions: RattsSSV

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
He’s been better than expected. Not sure it’s worth spending assets for another goalie. Just have Campbell and Pickard available for the playoffs.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Pretty small sample size but so far so good.
For the sake of the team I hope he can at least maintain this level of play.
A lot of it depends on the 5 man unit in front of him.

If the Oilers can continue to play at or close to the defensive level in last nights game against the Penguins then goaltending wont likely be an issue.

Reactions: AT14C

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Then why did Campbell go from a ~.915 goalie to a ~.885 goalie?

We don't honestly have any real good idea how Campbell does with Ekholm in the lineup and healthy, he's only gotten a chance to play like 7 games total since the team acquired Ekholm and he was healthy.

Ek was injured to start this year so not a lot to glean from that.

After the deadline with Ekholm in, Campbell put up .910 save percentage with in the 5 games he got to play post trade deadline, and then obviously .961 in limited playoff action.

So to answer your question, Campbell's save percentage since the Oilers have acquired Ekholm and Ekholm has actually been in the lineup/healthy is .922.

But again for some stupid reason we kept going back to Skinner over and over again in the playoffs even after pulling him in multiple games, so the sample size here is not large on Campbell + Ekholm.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I’ve always had a soft spot for Pickard. At age 22-24 he was an up and coming young goalie who outplayed Varlamov every season. Then he got dealt to Toronto and things went sideways. It’s cool to see him re-establishing himself
Next Tim Thomas. Calling it now. 🤓🤓

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
We don't honestly have any real good idea how Campbell does with Ekholm in the lineup and healthy, he's only gotten a chance to play like 7 games total since the team acquired Ekholm and he was healthy.

Ek was injured to start this year so not a lot to glean from that.

After the deadline with Ekholm in, Campbell put up .910 save percentage with in the 5 games he got to play post trade deadline, and then obviously .961 in limited playoff action.

So to answer your question, Campbell's save percentage since the Oilers have acquired Ekholm and Ekholm has actually been in the lineup/healthy is .922.

But again for some stupid reason we kept going back to Skinner over and over again in the playoffs even after pulling him in multiple games, so the sample size here is not large on Campbell + Ekholm.
lol
Skinner thread quiet (must be playing too well lately), must run to Pickard thread to dump on him!
Campbell is being outplayed by dozens of prospects in the AHL. Must be lack of Ekholm.

Reactions: capazzo

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
lol
Skinner thread quiet (must be playing too well lately), must run to Pickard thread to dump on him!
Campbell is being outplayed by dozens of prospects in the AHL. Must be lack of Ekholm.
I think the weirder look in the thread is a bunch of posters so threatened to hear good things said about Pickard that they have to post in the Calvin Pickard thread while posting about Skinner.

Pickard has been fine, is the topic of this thread and has better numbers than Skinner and matching Win % as well. The Pickard success here indeed hints at the Oilers playing pretty solid hockey in front of their goalies and that being a goalie for this club is pretty manageable.

If I can cut right to the theme Calvin Pickard shows that even a goalie that we pick up is just as good. Actually fundamentally, quickness, lateral movement, puck play, Pickard looks better.

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
I think the weirder look in the thread is a bunch of posters so threatened to hear good things said about Pickard that they have to post in the Calvin Pickard thread while posting about Skinner.

Pickard has been fine, is the topic of this thread and has better numbers than Skinner and matching Win % as well. The Pickard success here indeed hints at the Oilers playing pretty solid hockey in front of their goalies and that being a goalie for this club is pretty manageable.

If I can cut right to the theme Calvin Pickard shows that even a goalie that we pick up is just as good. Actually fundamentally, quickness, lateral movement, puck play, Pickard looks better.
I was responding to a post that mentioned Campbell, Ekholm, and Skinner - and didn't mention one thing (good or bad) about Pickard.
Is that as weird as you rolling in here to silence any Skinner backers? I mean, you've called him fat and out of shape, you were blaming him for backdoor tap-ins and wide open slot looks going in the net, you were actively championing Campbell over Skinner (lmfao) at the beginning of this season. And now Pickard over Skinner. Excuse me if I don't take your goalie evaluation seriously, particularly given your obvious bias. I guess we can take this over to the Skinner thread, but you and the other folks who like to dump on him have been curiously absent there the past week.

Reactions: Aerchon

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I was responding to a post that mentioned Campbell, Ekholm, and Skinner - and didn't mention one thing (good or bad) about Pickard.
Is that as weird as you rolling in here to silence any Skinner backers? I mean, you've called him fat and out of shape, you were blaming him for backdoor tap-ins and wide open slot looks going in the net, you were actively championing Campbell over Skinner (lmfao) at the beginning of this season. And now Pickard over Skinner. Excuse me if I don't take your goalie evaluation seriously, particularly given your obvious bias. I guess we can take this over to the Skinner thread, but you and the other folks who like to dump on him have been curiously absent there the past week.
Maybe I'll type slower. This thread is about Pickard. Again I'm sorry you're so threatened by posters liking Pickard and saying good things about him in this PICKARD thread. Maybe you'll get it this time.

Its flat out bizarre that you think I'm posting in a Pickard thread so as to "silence Skinner backers" Paranoid much?

I'm just thinking that a Pickard thread could be about Pickard and you know, appreciate Pickard.

Glad we got Pickard.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

And just like that, we have a thread honouring Pickard, and some people have to jump in and shove a bunch of shade on Skinner. Just can't help yourself, can you.:thumbd:

Reactions: capazzo

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
Maybe I'll type slower. This thread is about Pickard. Again I'm sorry you're so threatened by posters liking Pickard and saying good things about him in this PICKARD thread. Maybe you'll get it this time.

Its flat out bizarre that you think I'm posting in a Pickard thread ao as to "silence Skinner backers"

I'm just thinking that a Pickard thread could be about Pickard.

Glad we got Pickard.
Love me some smarmy old guys. Pickard is a serviceable backup, I'm glad we got him too.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I feel this bears repeating.

Pickard is doing a great job feasting on lower quality of competition. Doing his job and then some.

I think there is significant difference in a back up role to a starter. Even splitting can be significantly easier.

Right at this moment, including a horrendously bad start, Skinner looks like a solid starting nhl goalie. In a season with goal scoring way up and many elite goalies struggling... not to mention his young age/low experience...

Skinner is being slept on by some. Certainly not getting full due. Plus a fair bit of "potential" growth.

Campbell in pre-season looked steller and obviously mentally collapsed along with a brain cramp on team defense in front of him to start the year.

Taking a big picture Skinner good starter >>> Pickard good backup >>> Campbell good AHL splitter?

I don't know how you even bring Campbell back into an NHL conversation. It just doesn't make sense.

And starter to backup conversations are apples to oranges even imo.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Its flat out bizarre that you think I'm posting in a Pickard thread so as to "silence Skinner backers" Paranoid much?

I'm just thinking that a Pickard thread could be about Pickard and you know, appreciate Pickard.

Glad we got Pickard.
Know what you mean. It's the same as some posters posting Draisaitl praise stuff in a whole bunch of other threads that have nothing to do with him.:laugh:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Pickard really held the fort last night after first period. He was stellar in 2nd and 3rd periods. He was only at fault for one goal in first but all the chances were difficult coming from dangerous areas with opponents left alone with time to pick a spot. Once the Oilers settled in Pickard stopped everything including some exceptional stops. Pickard stopped 25 shots in a row allowing the Oilers to have a chance to come back. Interestingly Pickard has limited GA to 3 goal or less in every game he's played this year. Only two games this season where its been above that (4 or more) is against Florida. So that is buckling in and fairly refusing to give up 4th goal in games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad