Value of: Calle Jarnkrok

LRS87

Oct 7, 2020
I’d like him on the Pens. Good contract and good third liner. Too bad there isn’t really a fit right now.

Reactions: ownal

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
So my team (Detroit) is rebuilding and as such wouldn't come to the table with a much of an offer. Id be prepared to swap a depth player for Jarnkrok if there was a mutual fit. It wouldn't be a sexy offer but perhaps just a solid hockey trade.

Guys like Helm who is still a good checking forward with speed, Erne who is young and shown flashes of physicality combined with a bit of scoring touch while on a better Tampa team, Filppula who has lost a step with age but brings experience, etc. All of these guys are pending UFAs so opens up some cap and roster spots for Nashville moving forward.

There is a good chance none of this is very enticing which is fair, Just floating out the idea of a mutually beneficial hockey trade. You could likely find some better options out there so make of it what you will. My feelings definitely wouldn't be hurt if there is nothing appealing in detroit; we suck anyway haha.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
What is Nashville looking for?

He needs to come to Calgary.

picks and prospects would be my guess. The team is pretty well full and he was playing 4th line already and Granlund is coming off of covid protocol. I believe we are trying to go with a large physical 4th line which kind of puts Jarnkrok in an odd position. We don’t really need anymore NHL players as we are already logjammed at the bottom 6.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't think the Preds would really want another auxiliary depth player back for him. Not yet, pending any sudden lineup openings. It's more just that he doesn't have a really defined role on this year's edition of the team yet. So in that sense, it's more that he's surplus and the usual ask would be a draft pick.

But I think the flip side is that... well, that has kind of always been the case with Jarnkrok - that he NEVER had a really clearly defined role (not for very long anyway), indeed his primary value has been that he slides into basically any spot that he's needed in, top line to bottom, any forward position, extremely versatile. So he has gone through stretches in the past like this too where he has maybe looked a little bit "surplus". But then before you know it, somebody gets hurt, or the coach decides to juggle things up, and there's Jarnkrok popping up again, and by the end of the year he has always found a way to contribute fairly nicely despite this.

I wouldn't be against trading him, but I just question the value it would really add to our team at this point in the season. If it's like a trade deadline deal for a 2nd round pick, say... ok, but it's too early to know where this team is going yet. So I'd basically just stick a pin it for now. It's definitely possible he could be available. But early days to really determine what we'd really be looking for. Just keeping him around as a Swiss Army Knife in the meantime is an easier fallback.
:dunno:

Reactions: biturbo19

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
A young NHL defenseman at the AHL level now. Preds pipeline has lower end prospects that have bottom 4 potential. Personally, I'd love a 1st in this draft which will be stocked with D-men

short term, (Preds current roster): No clue, too small of a sample size.

Long term, (pipeline): forwards are interesting. Tomassino, Tolvanen, Trenin, Forward wise, the Preds are all under 30 on the NHL level. Defenseman, there are prospects but each of them have a question mark (Davies, Allard, Carrier, Ferrance). The biggest worry is 5 of the D-men are 30 or over.

Don't even ask about goal. If you put goalies in a box to store, the Preds would have to jump up and down to wedge them all in.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't think the Preds would really want another auxiliary depth player back for him. Not yet, pending any sudden lineup openings. It's more just that he doesn't have a really defined role on this year's edition of the team yet. So in that sense, it's more that he's surplus and the usual ask would be a draft pick.

But I think the flip side is that... well, that has kind of always been the case with Jarnkrok - that he NEVER had a really clearly defined role (not for very long anyway), indeed his primary value has been that he slides into basically any spot that he's needed in, top line to bottom, any forward position, extremely versatile. So he has gone through stretches in the past like this too where he has maybe looked a little bit "surplus". But then before you know it, somebody gets hurt, or the coach decides to juggle things up, and there's Jarnkrok popping up again, and by the end of the year he has always found a way to contribute fairly nicely despite this.

I wouldn't be against trading him, but I just question the value it would really add to our team at this point in the season. If it's like a trade deadline deal for a 2nd round pick, say... ok, but it's too early to know where this team is going yet. So I'd basically just stick a pin it for now. It's definitely possible he could be available. But early days to really determine what we'd really be looking for. Just keeping him around as a Swiss Army Knife in the meantime is an easier fallback.
:dunno:

Yeah. If Jarnkrok were made available, i'd imagine there'd be quite a bit of interest. Especially on that contract. He's that ideal sorta "swiss army knife" player. There's a lot of value in that sort of piece to a playoff team making a push. It's basically insurance/depth across the forward lineup, even if he doesn't have the desired "size" of a typical deadline acquisition.

But like you said, i'm not sure it really makes sense to deal him off right now, just for the sake of doing it. Still plenty of time for things to shake out differently, guys get injured/sick/fall off in their play/etc. Not sure what you'd be getting back as the Preds, that would really help you tremendously right now, more than having that depth and insurance.

I mean, if he were on the table, i'd definitely be calling as the Canucks...but i don't know what exactly they'd have to offer that would make sense. As much as i like Jarnkrok...i don't think he's exactly the sort of guy you rush to give up futures for, until you're closer to the deadline as a team stocking depth to make a run. And anything else seems...kinda lateral.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Personally I'd look at keeping Poirier, but i was going to ask if Kylington or Mackey would be a good starter? Add a 5th/4th depending on how he plays?
If we wanted Kylington, we could have just claimed him on waivers instead of Sbisa? I don't see us looking for a 9th defenseman, for sure. It would definitely take something more prominent, Jarnkrok is worth more to us just as an insurance policy.

If Jarnkrok was going to be made available, I think the price would have to start at a 2nd rounder. Anything below that just wouldn't be worth thinking about. He's a good NHL player, and still signed for next year too.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
If we wanted Kylington, we could have just claimed him on waivers instead of Sbisa? I don't see us looking for a 9th defenseman, for sure. It would definitely take something more prominent, Jarnkrok is worth more to us just as an insurance policy.

If Jarnkrok was going to be made available, I think the price would have to start at a 2nd rounder. Anything below that just wouldn't be worth thinking about. He's a good NHL player, and still signed for next year too.

Ohh so you only look at 1 of possible 3 pieces, and don't even respond to the original poster who mentioned Kylington, alright makes sense, but that's just an offer, wasn't my choice to pick up an injury probe over 30 dman, but if that's your reasoning sure let it be :) i wouldn't offer more than a 3rd straight up, and id make sure its our latest 3rd.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Ohh so you only look at 1 of possible 3 pieces, and don't even respond to the original poster who mentioned Kylington, alright makes sense, but that's just an offer, wasn't my choice to pick up an injury probe over 30 dman, but if that's your reasoning sure let it be :) i wouldn't offer more than a 3rd straight up, and id make sure its our latest 3rd.
Fair enough. And you wouldn't be getting an NHL player at this point in the season with any such offers. It's totally fine; the Preds don't really have much motivation to trade Jarnkrok, nor do the Flames have much motivation to acquire him. Maybe one day that equation changes for one side or the other. Maybe not.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Would Nashville be interested in something like this?

Rinne (50% / $2.5m x 1) + Jarnkrok (50% / $1m x 2) for Compher ($3.5m x 3) + pick/prospect.​

The retention balances the money going each way perfectly at $3.5m. Nashville add an future asset (not sure what the exact value would be) and help Rinne chase a cup, while Avs get a backup goalie and a replacement for Compher.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty

Rinne (50% / $2.5m x 1) + Jarnkrok (50% / $1m x 2) for Compher ($3.5m x 3) + pick/prospect.​

The retention balances the money going each way perfectly at $3.5m. Nashville add an future asset (not sure what the exact value would be) and help Rinne chase a cup, while Avs get a backup goalie and a replacement for Compher.

Retaining a good bit and taking on more...I guess it depends on the pick/prospect. That seems to be what the trade hinges on.

I'd love to let Rinne have a crack though.

Reactions: Richard88

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

I'm open to trading Jarnkrok, but tbh I'd rather just keep him than take Compher. Kind of the whole reason we'd be trading Jarnkrok though is that we may have a bit of a surplus of generic forwards. In which case, getting another one back isn't very attractive.

As for Rinne... I guess it's more up to him. I don't know if he'd want to chase a Cup elsewhere, or prefer to just hang tight. While he is certainly on the downswing, I also wouldn't be surprised if he's back with us next season.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Retaining a good bit and taking on more...I guess it depends on the pick/prospect. That seems to be what the trade hinges on.

I'd love to let Rinne have a crack though.
I agree that the trade hinges a bit on the value of the pick/prospect. Would Compher + 3rd be enough? I don't know if that's fair, hence my question.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I agree that the trade hinges a bit on the value of the pick/prospect. Would Compher + 3rd be enough? I don't know if that's fair, hence my question.

It's easy for me to say yes because it's not my money and I think we are rebuilding, but that's a decent swing on cash for the owners. I don't know what they'd expect back. Isn't Compher a more expensive Jarnkrok that doesn't really bring that much more besides being younger?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad