Pre-Game Talk: Call Your Shot - 2019 NHL Draft

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I assume for Detroit, the worst top 5 possible would be: Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Byram, Dach

This is kind of the rub though. To be in a position to extract some real value in the trade down, someone needs to drop who was not expected to drop. This is what creates the incentive to trade up. But if someone unexpectedly drops, why wouldn't the Wings snatch him at 6th. In the TSN 1040 audio they mention LA being interested in Caufield and Colorado interested in a center. This created the inference that Byram (or alternatively Turcotte I guess) could be around at 6. I have zero, and I mean zero, interest in trading down if one of Byram or Turcotte is on the board at 6th. That is where I personally plant my flag.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If the Wings traded down to 10 with Vancouver it would give them 4 second round picks which of course would be a great chip in any trades they may want to make.

Yeah, this would be my assumption the Wings are looking at making some sort of deal with a couple of their 2nd rounders and are willing to sacrifice a few spots at the top of this draft to not be moved to the back of the second.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If the Wings traded down to 10 with Vancouver it would give them 4 second round picks which of course would be a great chip in any trades they may want to make.
Yes, but I think it's still a big risk. I like several options at 6, not nearly as many at 10. Detroit could have 10 picks in the second round, but I'm still more interested in finding a potentially elite player in the first round.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I'm thinking if they get the 40th from Van they can trade that and 35th for like 20th? 10 and 20th is a lot better than 6th and 35th

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
Yes, but I think it's still a big risk. I like several options at 6, not nearly as many at 10. Detroit could have 10 picks in the second round, but I'm still more interested in finding a potentially elite player in the first round.
I agree I'm just saying if they were to go that way those could be options to escalate trades. I do not want to have Stevie trade down.

Reactions: jkutswings

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Yep, this. Only way this is acceptable to me is if the Wings are planning something like 35+40 to sneak back to high teens, low 20s and there is a guy like Seider or Broberg likely to be there. I would be okay with it being a chain that results in us having 10 + 20 + the two later seconds, but just too much risk of anyone really tantalizing being gone by 35 and 40 to have that be the crux of the deal.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I'm thinking if they get the 40th from Van they can trade that and 35th for like 20th? 10 and 20th is a lot better than 6th and 35th

hahaha. We should probably talk about the draft more often. We wouldn't get so annoyed with each other.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Surely this comment is made in jest, right? Obviously we are getting a fantastic player, but it’s too low to get a player we really want, and too high to have the decision be made easy, is that what you’re gettin at?

Basically its just below the line of getting a player without at least one major flaw. The centers that are after #5 all seem inconsistent, or likely not to play center at the NHL level, or won't be a top line guy. The defenders after Byram are all boom/bust or long term projects. But hopefully one of Turcotte or Byram falls and we get a steal.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Doesn't Zegras' profile read like both the Red Wings' prototypical pick and one of these skill guys TB targeted under Yzerman? I doubt they will trade down.

Gruß,
BSHH

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Zegras...Him, and Zadina make up the hot ‘ZZ Top’ pairing which then rivals the infamous ‘Hull and Oates’ combo :nod:

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: