Proposal: Calgary-Toronto

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Kinda like other successful teams !! I recall pitt doing this and back to back cups to show !!!

PIT & CHI both made big bets that paid off. Some others struggled for years include WSH, NYR, PHI and STL before they broke through. Difference is the Leafs are against the Cap.

Ledge And Dairy

Bennett is another one of those overrated guys because of muh intangibles. Much rather go after Mccan for the 3C spot.
Overrated? no not really, yes he has useful intangibles that most teams would like. However, despite him having a career .35PPG he has consistently been someone who shows up in post season. That is a very overlooked fact about him. He plays a very physical game and plays with a lot of heart. He is an excellent middle 6 player in the playoffs.

I'm not quite sure how McCann has anything to do with this. As far as I'm aware Pittsburgh has no interest in moving him

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
PIT & CHI both made big bets that paid off. Some others struggled for years include WSH, NYR, PHI and STL before they broke through. Difference is the Leafs are against the Cap.
Not really. Pittsburgh has been tight against the cap for many many years .wash been successful. LA kings another ... proves it can be done . Even better is the leafs have several very tra players who are in demand. Kapanen, AJ , kerfoot ( to a lesser extent) , nylnader especially...and so on. They will one trade one or more of those for a d man and probably unload more than more if they are successful in getting a free agent D man

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
is bennett a 3C? 12 points is pretty terrible production from that spot. lol at the bennett is a huge upgrade type comments.
kerfoot has 113pts over 2 1/2 seasons while bennet has 65 over the same timeframe.

Bennett is a 10 min/night 4C that has some grit and can kill penalties but he has no offensive touch whatsoever.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Overrated? no not really, yes he has useful intangibles that most teams would like. However, despite him having a career .35PPG he has consistently been someone who shows up in post season. That is a very overlooked fact about him. He plays a very physical game and plays with a lot of heart. He is an excellent middle 6 player in the playoffs.

I'm not quite sure how McCann has anything to do with this. As far as I'm aware Pittsburgh has no interest in moving him

so ignore the 364 games of meh regular season production, because dude has been good in his 20 game playoff stint!

lolthis is actually hilarious. He had 1 really good playoff series with 1g/5pts in 5 games last year. 6pts in 15 games before that is somewhat blah.

flames fans thought this kid was gonna take the next step this year but he fell off a cliff. wouldnt have even hit 20pts

if this kid is a "middle 6" C, your team is super weak up the middle

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
so ignore the 364 games of meh regular season production, because dude has been good in his 20 game playoff stint!

lolthis is actually hilarious. He had 1 really good playoff series with 1g/5pts in 5 games last year. 6pts in 15 games before that is somewhat blah.

flames fans thought this kid was gonna take the next step this year but he fell off a cliff. wouldnt have even hit 20pts

I do agree in part... he isnt the ideal 3c who gets 15 goals and 35 to 45 points .. points...but he has value in the right situation and the leafs situation fits the bill.. I believe he can play wing as well... the leafs need character, grit, PK ability and Bennett has that. As a penguins fan I'd love to have him... I can see a line of McCann tanev and Bennett being awfully hard to play against..

Ledge And Dairy

I never said to ignore his 364 regular season games, but to not acknowledge his post season success is ignorance.

He's actually had 3 out of 3 solid playoff performances for a 3rd liner. Over .5 PPG, 53 hits in 20 games. 12 takeaways with only 6 giveaways. Lets compare that to Kerfoots playoff experience, 5 points in 18 games, 6 blocked shots (so 4 more then Bennett), 12 hits, 4 TK, and 8 GV.

Flames fans said Mangiapane was going to take the next step and 1 of Mango/Bennett would play top 6. Obviously Mango won.

Never said he was a center but he can play center. He has mostly played wing so your argument is invalid.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I never said to ignore his 364 regular season games, but to not acknowledge his post season success is ignorance.

He's actually had 3 out of 3 solid playoff performances for a 3rd liner. Over .5 PPG, 53 hits in 20 games. 12 takeaways with only 6 giveaways. Lets compare that to Kerfoots playoff experience, 5 points in 18 games, 6 blocked shots (so 4 more then Bennett), 12 hits, 4 TK, and 8 GV.

Flames fans said Mangiapane was going to take the next step and 1 of Mango/Bennett would play top 6. Obviously Mango won.

Never said he was a center but he can play center. He has mostly played wing so your argument is invalid.
Either way he ha more value to leafs than kerfoot... maybe it opposite for flames... as a pens fan I'd ship nick Bjugstad for Bennett in a heart beat

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Either way he ha more value to leafs than kerfoot... maybe it opposite for flames... as a pens fan I'd ship nick Bjugstad for Bennett in a heart beat

And not a single Flames fan would accept Nick for Sam, if you want Janks we'll accept Nick at 50%

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I dont dont that.... pens have no use for jansk.... bennett would be a player they would target......

Then offer something worth him, Nick is over paid worse than Kerfoot is, we're not interested unless Lucic is going out.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Then offer something worth him, Nick is over paid worse than Kerfoot is, we're not interested unless Lucic is going out.
That's the issue Pitt doenst have a lot that would interst Calgary and that they would be willing to send back..m i would have said kahun before he was shipped out. I'd say some combo or chocie of Simon, ZAR, sheary, ruthwedel, ....

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
What do you mean by "other"? :huh:
Well pal... we saw boston
What do you mean by "other"? :huh:
Hmmm well seems like the Blackhawks did this as well... if I recall Patrick kane scored the cup winning goal !!!! That's just one exmaple...tampa was another although that didn't result in a cup it did result on a president's trophy. Dumping salary via UFAs or other is going to becoming common practice in the cap era.
;)

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Equal players: One provides more grit, one more offense.

Cap space wise i take Bennett, need wise i take Bennett, I'd rather see him walk tbh. If we trade him i want a 2nd round pick. Maybe Pittsburgh in the offseason but they'd need to send equal cap, but I think he'd fit there or LA, i think he'd blossom in their playstyle aswell. But they'd probably try swapping an older player maybe Carter but adds would need to be talked about, like Bennett + Hanifin for Carter + MacDermid* + Morrison?(views?) Would be my original offer there^

Ledge And Dairy

Cap space wise i take Bennett, need wise i take Bennett, I'd rather see him walk tbh. If we trade him i want a 2nd round pick. Maybe Pittsburgh in the offseason but they'd need to send equal cap, but I think he'd fit there or LA, i think he'd blossom in their playstyle aswell. But they'd probably try swapping an older player maybe Carter but adds would need to be talked about, like Bennett + Hanifin for Carter + MacDermid* + Morrison?(views?) Would be my original offer there^
Carter's fallen off a cliff since his injury. MacDermid is only there to fight and he is a massive downgrade from Hanifin. Brad Morrison isn't even an AHL player anymore. This is horribad. What is your value comparison here?

Bennett for Carter (retained?) - sure that's probably fair
Hanifin for what exactly?

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005

So basically Calgary gets a bunch of trash for Hanifin a 23 year old top 4 and probably top 3 defenseman and Bennett who fills a physical need on the Flames. Oh gosh where do the Flames sign. there is nothing in that LA package that is even remotely interesting. Its basically give us your young players with potential and we'll give you some crap that we don't want back. Carter alone is 35 on the down slope and still has two years left after this year at $5.75 why in the hell is Calgary taking a cap dump. Macdermid is a dime a dozen, Morrison is meaningless. come back with something of value.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Leaf fanboy can’t accept being robbed on the AVs deal for 1 year of Barrie and overpaid for Kerfoot. With more than 50% of their salaries tied to 4 players, moving Kerfoot is not enough to get them out of their own Cap problems.

If Bennett is available, he’s the type of player most teams would want. AVs would gladly take him off your hands and you can include a Cap Dump to ease your financial position.

Bizarre post. I don't think most Leaf fans are too worried about it the Kadri trade and your narrative that we were "robbed' is obviously just nonsense from a hater. We made a trade, Barrie didn't work out, life goes on. Kerfoot is still a serviceable player.

Tell all your friends the Leafs made a trade and it didn't go perfect.....Seriously the lengths you guys go to is scary....

So today we learned 4rth line C are worth more than #3rd line C who can also play top 6 wing, with that special HF magic. The guy usually gets 26 points a year.....

I like Bennet but man the thread is a laugher.

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad