Series Discussion: Calgary Flames vs. Colorado Avalanche

What's the outcome of this series?

• Total voters

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
This is the series we see what Sean Monahan is really made of.

Marshmallows and gummy bears so far.

Need some guys to step up and make plays. Not getting to the center of the ice well at all. Also seeing the same thing as you guys with giving up the blueline way too easily. Doesn't make sense when all year our system was to force turnovers in the neutral zone by being aggressive at the three lines. Letting the Avalanche dictate the play is not how we found success in this season.

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
I'm disappointed in some of our players, no doubt.

But I'm also disappointed in this board. Doom and gloom. Negativity. Joyless. Boring.

We used to think Pizza Is Magic when we had nothing and we regicide'd our way to a playoff birth.

Now we sit atop the west and whimper and pout and rationalize that a single Bluenoser is pwning our entire team.

What happened to the memes? What happened to the fun? WHAT HAPPENED TO SCORCH????

Come on my dudes! Pick your beaten and bloodied avatars off the ice and start posting like you give a damn.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
When comparing Monahan and MacKinnon, talent is the biggest thing. Monahan is no where nearly talented as MacKinnon, they are worlds apart.

No matter what happens in these playoffs, we need a upgrade at the #1 center position.

The upgrade already is on our roster, we just need the realization that "hey, Monahan should play the wing".

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary

But I'm also disappointed in this board. Doom and gloom. Negativity. Joyless. Boring.

We used to think Pizza Is Magic when we had nothing and we regicide'd our way to a playoff birth.

Now we sit atop the west and whimper and pout and rationalize that a single Bluenoser is pwning our entire team.

What happened to the memes? What happened to the fun? WHAT HAPPENED TO SCORCH????

Come on my dudes! Pick your beaten and bloodied avatars off the ice and start posting like you give a damn.

I think everyone is posting like they give a damn, hence the anger and disappointment. Hard to have fun when all of our worst fears come true. (except for Smith who has been a great surprise)

But on the bright side, at least we're not Tampa.

Reactions: No Draft

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Honestly I think the start of each new game is like an empty canvass. I was OK with what was being painted in the first few minutes, we seemed to have good energy. But not being able to capitalize on that first PP, then the bad call giving the Avs a full 2 min 5 on 3, and the script was set. The complexion of the rest of the game seemed to change, and only got worse after 2-0, 3-0...
I also didn't like that timeout where Peters looked dumbfounded on what was happening. Maybe the most useless timeout I've seen. If this team doesn't have the mental fortitude to bounceback after a bad call/goal, then they don't deserve to win a game let alone a series.

We better get a Mona Lisa for game 4...

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think everyone is posting like they give a damn, hence the anger and disappointment. Hard to have fun when all of our worst fears come true. (except for Smith who has been a great surprise)

I haven’t given up all hope yet. We’ve all seen this team put out Jekyll and Hyde performances before. I had my doubts about how this team would stand up in the playoffs but still really hoping I’m wrong.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
I know every player on the team has to be better but I still can't forget how zero f***s Johnny gives almost every time he's defending, especially how he basically let Jost walk past him for a breakaway. I don't know if any one of his teammates would be motivated to work hard if their star player couldn't care less about defending.

It's gotta start with our star players and they have to lead by example on both sides of the puck.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I know every player on the team has to be better but I still can't forget how zero ****s Johnny gives almost every time he's defending, especially how he basically let Jost walk past him for a breakaway. I don't know if any one of his teammates would be motivated to work hard if their star player couldn't care less about defending.

It's gotta start with our star players and they have to lead by example on both sides of the puck.

Johnny clearly put his own personal priority above the teams. His 100 pt chase was the most pathetic thing I have seen in my life.

Hopefully he learned..

The nhl is too tough to do that kind of shit and get away...

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I know every player on the team has to be better but I still can't forget how zero ****s Johnny gives almost every time he's defending, especially how he basically let Jost walk past him for a breakaway. I don't know if any one of his teammates would be motivated to work hard if their star player couldn't care less about defending.

It's really strange because he was doing a lot of things well defensively in game 1.

But as soon as we got into a hole in game 3, he just gave up and mailed it in

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Johnny clearly put his own personal priority above the teams. His 100 pt chase was the most pathetic thing I have seen in my life.

Hopefully he learned..

The nhl is too tough to do that kind of **** and get away...
That’s ridiculous. It sure hasn’t hurt Mackinnon playing all 82. He’s just an extremely small player, that doesn’t do exceedingly well in hard checking, aggressive games, who doesn’t have players with him that are skilled enough to help shoulder the weight of carrying play.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
That’s ridiculous. It sure hasn’t hurt Mackinnon playing all 82. He’s just an extremely small player, that doesn’t do exceedingly well in hard checking, aggressive games, who doesn’t have players with him that are skilled enough to help shoulder the weight of carrying play.

The thing is he plays way too soft even for his size. He's not much smaller than Mangiapane who is excelling in the playoffs, like give me a break.

If he's 5'9 and 160 like he claims in interviews than he's slightly smaller than average size yet he acts like he's made of papier mache. An in shape average sized man isn't going to die if he gets hit along the boards by a 220 6'3 player.

He needs to man the f*** up and realize he isn't made of glass.

Reactions: Pekkas Purse

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
The thing is he plays way too soft even for his size. He's not much smaller than Mangiapane who is excelling in the playoffs, like give me a break.

If he's 5'9 and 160 like he claims in interviews than he's slightly smaller than average size yet he acts like he's made of papier mache. An in shape average sized man isn't going to die if he gets hit along the boards by a 220 6'3 player.

He needs to man the **** up and realize he isn't made of glass.
Mangiapane’s like 185. 25 pounds is a huge difference, at that size. It’s more or less a Bantom sized player, playing in the NHL. But I agree. If we’re going to win he has to be at least more engaged, especially down low.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Mangiapane’s like 185. 25 pounds is a huge difference, at that size. It’s more or less a Bantom sized player, playing in the NHL. But I agree. If we’re going to win he has to be at least more engaged, especially down low.

Sure, it's a big difference in terms of battling for the puck and what not, but taking a hit? Does Gaudreau feel more pain than Mangiapane being leveled against the boards?

I've bounced between 150 and 170 my whole life and I've never noticed a difference in pain from being hit so maybe that's why I'm skeptical.

Either way, if his lack of weight is an issue than he needs to start eating more. He is ineffective.

Pekkas Purse

Feb 2, 2010

He needs to man the **** up and realize he isn't made of glass.

It just isn't in him. Maybe he can go play saxophone with Greta Van Fleet!. Mange is a man. Johnny and Mony are what they are and have always been, they need to move Mony/Brody for an elite D and send Johnny to camp in the spring. Maybe he can live in one of Smitties hats! Both are Eurosoft and not even Euro. :(

How is that, is that more fun???

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

There are 2-3 Gaudreau trade threads on the trade board lol

As inexperienced as the Flames have looked on the ice so far this board has been twice as bad

Come on guys

E8E7E886-0CD0-4508-9E75-712C9E84536C.gif

Reactions: Pizza the Hutt

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Johnny will be fine when the team isn't constantly putting themselves in weak, outnumbered positions.

Recency bias is a thing. Right now the Avs are playing a great brand of hockey, and the Flames are not, and that makes the players on the Flames look awful and the players on the Avs look amazing. By what's being said on this board, you would think that MacKinnon never had his struggles this season, and Johnny et. al did, which isn't true. MacKinnon had 10 points in 14 games in January while the Avs were playing awful hockey, and that was with a 3-point night mixed in.

Instead of focusing on "are our guys better than their guys in a vacuum," the focus needs to be on playing a brand of hockey as a team that will make their guys look bad and our guys good instead of the other way around. This is a whole-team issue. It's not about individuals.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Johnny will be fine when the team isn't constantly putting themselves in weak, outnumbered positions.

Recency bias is a thing. Right now the Avs are playing a great brand of hockey, and the Flames are not, and that makes the players on the Flames look awful and the players on the Avs look amazing. By what's being said on this board, you would think that MacKinnon never had his struggles this season, and Johnny et. al did, which isn't true. MacKinnon had 10 points in 14 games in January while the Avs were playing awful hockey, and that was with a 3-point night mixed in.

Instead of focusing on "are our guys better than their guys in a vacuum," the focus needs to be on playing a brand of hockey as a team that will make their guys look bad and our guys good instead of the other way around. This is a whole-team issue. It's not about individuals.

Agreed. Peters did a Gulutzan job this playoff...He failed to prepare them properly. Combined that with lack of character on some of the players, and we are lucky we are not swept yet.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Here is my take.

We are a defender first team in that we usually are very patient. Rarely do we attack with our third player unless it is a 3-2. We always try to establish solid puck possession and then we attack.

I think we’ve see the 3rd man drift in this playoffs. Everyone is trying to make offence happen out of nowhere and it isn’t working.

We need to be more methodical with the puck like we were in most of season. It’s been hard to watch.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Whats concerning is that outside of Zadorov/Cole and a pos Landeskog Colorado is a fairly soft team as well, its not like they are going all Jamie Benn on him.

Whoever wins this series will get murdered next round.

Reactions: Gettin Iggy With It

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
I think that Gulutzan was somewhat right about one thing in his time here - this team only gets up to play when it's easy.

Most of our depth guys play with heart but our top line/pairing guys wilt when the going gets tough

Honestly Im putting the blame square on management for not being able to recognize that guys like Brodie and Mony are supporting cast, not the lead actors.

Whats the point of being angry at Mony he's not Lecavalier and Johnny is no Marty StLouis when the managements idea of play off reinforcements are Neal and Fantanen

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Sure, it's a big difference in terms of battling for the puck and what not, but taking a hit? Does Gaudreau feel more pain than Mangiapane being leveled against the boards?

I've bounced between 150 and 170 my whole life and I've never noticed a difference in pain from being hit so maybe that's why I'm skeptical.

Either way, if his lack of weight is an issue than he needs to start eating more. He is ineffective.

If nothing else Johnny's diet seems to be awful. Grilled cheeses and ham? Ouch. I just put in those on cronometer and Johnny hits almost no significant micronutrients, and has awful macronutrient balance.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Whats concerning is that outside of Zadorov/Cole and a pos Landeskog Colorado is a fairly soft team as well, its not like they are going all Jamie Benn on him.

Whoever wins this series will get murdered next round.

Well San Jose doesn't seem like they're going to advance, and while Vegas is an amazing possession and speed team, they aren't that physical either, and they aren't as dirty as the Avs either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad