GDT: Calgary Flames at San Jose Sharks Oct. 19

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't think the refs cost us the game, but we took way to many penalties. The Sharks are a top team in the NHL right now, and if your going to take that many penalties you are not going to beat them, period. That said, I was quite impressed with how we played them 5 on 5, and I actually think the final 2 periods were almost a mirror of the Ducks game. We really took the play to them. Despite them being an elite team, Thorton even eluded to as such, that we are a fast team and hard to play against. If we would of took half the penalties we did, and even connected on one PP, we win that game IMO. But man, the Sharks are an impressive team to watch, wow.

Monahan, Backlund and Sven were all fantastic. They totally held their own against their top players, we should be very excited guys, and more help is soon to be on the way next year. We'll be a playoff team at the latest by 2015/16. We may even be in the hunt next year.

Goodlad

Jan 15, 2013
I don't think it's fair to say that reffing cost us that game. Lack of discipline cost us that game. There were obviously some really soft calls in that game, but overall the reffing was consistent. Sharks had a ton of penalties called on them in the first period, but once they realized what kind of game the refs would be calling they adjusted and stayed out of the box for the most part. Flames did not, and it cost them.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think it's fair to say that this Pacific trip was going to be a good indication of where the Flames are. So far it has been.

They can hang with any team in the league when they play a clean, hard working yet hard-nosed game. They have to dictate the pace, and out-work. When they start playing soft, or when they start playing to the other teams strengths... they won't win many games this season.

On another note, some of our vets need to definitely wake up. Glencross needs to get going and get back to the game that has made him successful in Calgary the past few seasons.

Ramo wasn't bad... But there was no way he was going to steal anything last night; the chances were too good, and the Flames did not do a good job pacifying danger zones in the offensive end.

If these guys aren't going to give 100% every night, lineup shakes are needed. We're never going to beat a team by outskilling them, that's impossible... unless we maybe play the Preds... But we have to outwork the hell of out everyone.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Baertschi - Monahan - Hudler had a very good game despite us losing.
Backlund was solid yet again. Thought Colborne gave a good effort but that line was clearly the most out matched.

I'm not even mad about that loss as we were just out classed but we can't give them that many powerplay.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Baertschi - Monahan - Hudler had a very good game despite us losing.
Backlund was solid yet again. Thought Colborne gave a good effort but that line was clearly the most out matched.

I'm not even mad about that loss as we were just out classed but we can't give them that many powerplay.

What?

That Colbourne/Bouma/Galardi line was all over the ice. Easily our best and most consistent line last night. Colbourne looked great last night

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
What?

That Colbourne/Bouma/Galardi line was all over the ice. Easily our best and most consistent line last night. Colbourne looked great last night

They were the ones that got pinned in our own end the easiest and were victims of several great passing plays. I'm not saying they were bad but they were easily the most out matched line in our top 9.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad