Cale Makar wins Norris Trophy

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Wonderful news. The sportswriters get it right for once (albeit BARELY).

Delicious because now there's a whole sect of Nashville Predacons fans ready to raise a banner that reads ROMAN YO-SEE WUZ ROBBED!!!!

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Surprised the voters got it right, but the right guy won. There is not a dman in the league better than Makar right now.

The only thing Josi did better was rack up assists. Makar was better in every facet of the game other than that. This was on full display round 1.

This is an award for best all around defenseman, not highest scoring dman. The voters did a good job realizing this.
Did they though? We think they got it right but Josi got more 1st place votes. It could be just a question of people that wanted Makar to win gave Josi 3rd, 4th or 5th place votes to help Makar get it but guys that voted for Josi kept Makar in 2nd place. Heck there was even a guy that didn't vote for Josi at all. That is very fishy to me. They really need to revamp that whole voting system.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The Josi was robbed narrative is ridiculous. The last true Norris robbery happened in 10-11 when Lidström was awarded a thanks for the career Norris over Chara and Weber, both significantly better players at that point.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
"A travesty an absolute travesty how Josi didnt win the Norris and some voters had him 4th...."

- Jason Gregor, TSN 1260 Edmonton.

This guy has never liked the Avs lol.

The Josi was robbed narrative is ridiculous. The last true Norris robbery happened in 10-11 when Lidström was awarded a thanks for the career Norris over Chara and Weber, both significantly better players at that point.
The same people who say Josi was robbed were perfectly fine when Carlson lost to Josi. Aint no robbery here. The Norris doesnt automatically go to the guy who has the most points. Makar was better on both sides of the puck than Josi was and thats not taking anything away from Josi season. He was great offensively.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Also a bit surprised they had this while the finals were going on and Cale felt obligated to go. Hedman too for that matter. Even with it in Tampa.

If it were anyone other than Cale, I might be worried about the distraction. The focus needed right now for game 4 is off the charts and will be the rest of the series to close it out. Avs may need to play perfect hokey the rest of the way if they can't get good goaltending and Tampa does.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Congrats, Avs fans, on a well-deserved award for Makar. Could've gone either way between him and Josi, but good to see the trends in young guys getting noticed—e.g. Adam Fox last year. Though, I must admit, I'm certainly hoping Heiskanen can put up more of a fight for the award next year, now that Rick Bowness' system won't be a boat anchor to the Stars' prodigiously talented D-man. But regardless congrats to your fanbase. Makar is good for the NHL.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Congrats, Avs fans, on a well-deserved award for Makar. Could've gone either way between him and Josi, but good to see the trends in young guys getting noticed—e.g. Adam Fox last year. Though, I must admit, I'm certainly hoping Heiskanen can put up more of a fight for the award next year, now that Rick Bowness' system won't be a boat anchor to the Stars' prodigiously talented D-man. But regardless congrats to your fanbase. Makar is good for the NHL.
Thanks, man. Heiskanen is a stud, too.

RyderRocks73

Jul 1, 2015
Moncton, NB
Also a bit surprised they had this while the finals were going on and Cale felt obligated to go. Hedman too for that matter. Even with it in Tampa.

If it were anyone other than Cale, I might be worried about the distraction. The focus needed right now for game 4 is off the charts and will be the rest of the series to close it out. Avs may need to play perfect hokey the rest of the way if they can't get good goaltending and Tampa does.
Think about this. Victor Hedman was playing to defend the Stanley Cup with a series deficit and they made him dress up along with the nominee playing to take the title from you. Then in front of him, they said the "defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position" is Cale Makar. Regardless of when the voting takes place, that's going to sting because the award really only stipulates the season but the weight of that moment, to me, rests on "they think he's a better all-round defenseman than me."
It shouldn't have happened- I don't think. It might have bothered Makar too.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad