Cale Makar enters top 30 all-time playoff points among dmen

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
McDavid is in the upper echelon of generational players. There are levels to this. I would argue Coffey was also a generational player, but he sure was hell no Bobby Orr, another generational player.

I do understand your point though. If Makar crashes and burns and just becomes an average defenseman from next season and onwards, the generational label will have been premature. However, if his career follows a normal trajectory, he has a shot of finishing very high in all-time defensemen rankings.

I wouldn't call him a generational player just yet but his talent is most definitely generational. Now whether the rest of his career plays out like a defenseman you only see once in a generation (every 20 years for me) remains to be seen.

I agree with basically everything.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Explain to me how a ~45% xGA (not great of course) or whatever guy playing top pairing minutes is "replacement level".

I'll hang up and listen.

Semantics. You know as well as I do that his numbers came out awful without MacKinnon on the ice. Of course that was hyperbole from my part of calling him replacement level, but it sure as hell wasn't what a generational player would do either.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Semantics. You know as well as I do that his numbers came out awful without MacKinnon on the ice. Of course that was hyperbole from my part of calling him replacement level, but it sure as hell wasn't what a generational player would do either.
Yeah you're being a bit of a weasel with your word choice and you goddamn know it

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Yeah you're being a bit of a weasel with your word choice and you goddamn know it

costanza-funny.gif

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
As a jets fan this guy was the best d man I’ve ever watched this series (and during the 2022 run but that’s not fresh in my head). Not sure why avs fans said he had a down year this year.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
As a jets fan this guy was the best d man I’ve ever watched this series (and during the 2022 run but that’s not fresh in my head). Not sure why avs fans said he had a down year this year.
The Cale Makar of this series was vintage 2022 Makar. Outside a couple stretches this season, Makar this year did not look like that in the regular season. He still put up crazy points because he’s that good and Mack had an incredible season but he really turned it up several notches between the RS and game 1

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Referring specifically to his regular season. And I think 'down year' is maybe a stretch. I think most of us thought he was playing at around 85% of his ability. He definitely stepped it up for the playoffs

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The expectations are just astronomical. Makar dropped 90 points and that was considered by some a disappointment.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
And yet one sits there with his one Norris while the other got 5 Art Ross, 4 Lindsay, 3 Hart, and a Rocket. And he should've probably had more without voter fatigue. Kind of what generational players do though. Makar maybe could've had more without the injuries, but he doesn't.

Again, Makar is great! Best Dman in the league and probably top 3 among players I would want to start a franchise with. He's gonna have to start crushing his opponents if he wanna be a generational Dman though. Can't put up seasons like this one where he's replacement level without his superstar center on the ice and gotta start being healthy.

To be fair, Makar is also sitting there with his Conn Smythe and a Cup, both of which I'd take over every regular season award.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
He did in the context of controlling the play in the regular season. It’s been greatly over exaggerated however with fans claiming “injuries”. He was still a top 5 dman regardless but with hive-mind mentality people started the “replacement level” narrative (not the recent poster, many have been spouting for two months). The biggest difference so far between playoffs and regular season is his decision making in his own zone. He’s been great at making the safe play if he’s not 100% certain he can complete the risky play.

Reactions: GeoRox89

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Calm down.

This is an amazingly cool stat though. Impressive for sure!

Lol, what? Why? Yeah, the term generational is thrown around too much. That doesn't mean we shouldn't use it when describing someone who is generational. It shouldn't be eliminated from the lexicon.

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
I didn't realize he was already ranked that high. Seems like he hasn't been in the league long enough to be top 30. Incredible talent.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
He had an unreal start to the year but definitely stumbled after his injury. It was a long time ago so most forget but at the end of October he was my pick for the Hart at that point of the season, was close to leading the league in points and was playing excellent defence.

He’s the only defender that has a realistic chance at the Hart in my opinion, and I think he does it once in his career

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GG96

Feb 21, 2020
I think more impressive is how far Leetch is with how few games he played especially because he played some of his prime in the beginning of the dead puck era

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad