Prospect Info: Cale Fleury - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Prospect to Player to Prodigy? I like this kid a lot! Plays with confidence, plays physical, skates well, has a good shot, decent vision. What is his weakness if we are picky?
Well, if we're being picky, he still makes dumb mistakes like we saw last game. Didn't cost us, so nobody's dumping on him. But that's what rookies do -- an occasional terrible giveaway and intercepted pass. It's the rite of passage for any rookie and Fleury will go through it while he's honing his NHL instincts.

Thing is, we don't know how high his instincts and talent will take him. Lots of good signs -- he loves the puck, loves engaging physically, and looks like he's having fun out there. He's an NHLer, we just don't know what tier.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well, if we're being picky, he still makes dumb mistakes like we saw last game. Didn't cost us, so nobody's dumping on him. But that's what rookies do -- an occasional terrible giveaway and intercepted pass. It's the rite of passage for any rookie and Fleury will go through it while he's honing his NHL instincts.

Thing is, we don't know how high his instincts and talent will take him. Lots of good signs -- he loves the puck, loves engaging physically, and looks like he's having fun out there. He's an NHLer, we just don't know what tier.

I think the kid is smart and once he gets through his 1st season, he shows us what he really can do next year. He knows the competition is tough on the RD side. Weber, Petry, Fleury, Juuslen, Brook. He can't let his foot off the gas at all with his off season training.

Turns 21 tomorrow. 60 AHL games last year and 15 NHL games this year. He's trending in the right direction and playing physical in your own end is a huge asset. Especially if you are a great skater. Coaches going to love him for that

Western breed style of D man for sure! It's very early but the kid is showing signs of being a top 4D option once he matures. He's only played 75 pro games before the age of 21.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lshap and jaffy27

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
A young player that has come out of nowhere and is only getting better.
It's nice to see a 3rd rounder become an NHLer only 2 1/2 years after being drafted.

He seems to have more upside than his much more highly touted brother.

A total 3rd round steal!!

tnq

Feb 16, 2004
I remember many people said the same on Kulak this summer and .. Right now, only him and Mete are drafted by Habs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
A young player that has come out of nowhere and is only getting better.
It's nice to see a 3rd rounder become an NHLer only 2 1/2 years after being drafted.

He seems to have more upside than his much more highly touted brother.

A total 3rd round steal!!

Imagine Fleury, Harris, Norlinder being better players than Brook, Romanov, Struble? 3rd round hits trump the 2nd round ones? The important thing here is we had extra darts to throw at the board.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I remember many people said the same on Kulak this summer and .. Right now, only him and Mete are drafted by Habs.

Kulak looked good in the last 20 or 30 games last year but he has not been able to play to that level this year. Reality. The conversations were "if" he can maintain that level of play. Nobody thought he was our for sure proven answer at LD.

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Is he similar to what Beaulieu looked like when he was 20/21? Who has better hockey IQ? Beaulieu or Fleury? Both have similar tools at the the age of 20/21 IMO.
Fleury hands down......Beaulieu’s hockey IQ was very low in my opinion.

I’ll always remember a winger coming down the boards in the O zone and Beaulieu instead of shifting left towards the boards to guide the winger to the boards spun 180 degrees to the right.....the winger blew right by him and was alone on Price....thankfully the save was made but it was the strangest decision I’ve ever witnessed by a defensemen defending a winger coming down the boards.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Fleury hands down......Beaulieu’s hockey IQ was very low in my opinion.

I’ll always remember a winger coming down the boards in the O zone and Beaulieu instead of shifting left towards the boards to guide the winger to the boards spun 180 degrees to the right.....the winger blew right by him and was alone on Price....thankfully the save was made but it was the strangest decision I’ve ever witnessed by a defensemen defending a winger coming down the boards.

I tend to agree on that and I was always hard on Beaulieu cause of his hockey IQ. I've seen him make stupid mistakes in the Q and in the WJC even before he made the NHL. But I have to admit, I don't know as much with Fleury's development years vs Beaulieu.

Fleury looks like he can be a very good good one! He's making the physical part playing against men look easy. That's impressive cause not many can do that at 20/21. Then you look at his skating, shot, and puck moving ability and there is lots to like. He's maturing just like Suzuki and Mete are and it's happening quicker than the average bear

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Imagine Fleury, Harris, Norlinder being better players than Brook, Romanov, Struble? 3rd round hits trump the 2nd round ones? The important thing here is we had extra darts to throw at the board.

that’s such a NICE crop of up and coming D.....Fleury and Romanov are my favourites there but Harris and Brook are not too shabby.

Norlinder is that diamond in the rough, he can surprise us all!!

Struble is a wildcard but if he pans out.....oh man we in business.

And we still have Juulsen.....

and to think we have another 12 picks this year

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
that’s such a NICE crop of up and coming D.....Fleury and Romanov are my favourites there but Harris and Brook are not too shabby.

Norlinder is that diamond in the rough, he can surprise us all!!

Struble is a wildcard but if he pans out.....oh man we in business.

And we still have Juulsen.....

and to think we have another 12 picks this year

I see it very similar. The options on the back end is a healthy situation for sure! I'm sure there will be bust but I also see some surprises as well.

Lets be happy that most of these top prospects are exempt from the next expansion draft! We are lucky with the timing for sure!

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I tend to agree on that and I was always hard on Beaulieu cause of his hockey IQ. I've seen him make stupid mistakes in the Q and in the WJC even before he made the NHL. But I have to admit, I don't know as much with Fleury's development years vs Beaulieu.

Fleury looks like he can be a very good good one! He's making the physical part playing against men look easy. That's impressive cause not many can do that at 20/21. Then you look at his skating, shot, and puck moving ability and there is lots to like. He's maturing just like Suzuki and Mete are and it's happening quicker than the average bear
Well said......

I don’t remember exactly my assessment on Beaulieu at the time, we talking 2013, it’s been a while but I remember being disappointed in him at the NHL level, and as optimistic as I am, I remember thinking this guy isn’t ready......I don’t get this vibe with Fleury, he makes mistakes but man he’s good with the puck. I’m surprised it actually took him this long to score.

If he can keep progressing, we gonna have ourselves a special player, solid 4 IMO

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I see it very similar. The options on the back end is a healthy situation for sure! I'm sure there will be bust but I also see some surprises as well.

Lets be happy that most of these top prospects are exempt from the next expansion draft! We are lucky with the timing for sure!
For sure there’s a bust in there....I just don’t know who lol

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
We gonna have to start calling him Teen Mountain........he’s like a mini Weber that can skate
Probably a much better nickname than "Caley", or whatever dumbass thing his teammates will inevitably come up with. How many years did it take for them to figure out something remotely clever like "Tuna"? We need to draft better writers.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Probably a much better nickname than "Caley", or whatever dumbass thing his teammates will inevitably come up with. How many years did it take for them to figure out something remotely clever like "Tuna"? We need to draft better writers.

Or Calsey lol

Or Flower :facepalm:......this would probably prompt the opposition to call him Daisy lol

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
For sure there’s a busy in there....I just don’t know who lol

- I'm optimistic none of Romanov, Fleury, Brook, Juulsen bust like Tinordi but some can turn into a journey NHL player like Beaulieu.

- Norlinder like you said is the interesting one. It's very early but lots to like with his offensive game and the flashes of brilliance we have seen this year so far. Harris to me is like Norlinder but a notch below in terms of ceiling potential. Harris reminds me of a Reilly type prospect and he needs to get physically stronger if he wants to nail down a full time role down the road.

- Struble could turn into Tinoridi or Subban or somewhere in the massive middle between them two. It's just way to early to know how his game translates cause he is playing NCAA at the age of 18. It's a big jump for him this year from high school hockey to NCCA (similar to Poehling in his 1st NCAA year).

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
- I'm optimistic none of Romanov, Fleury, Brook, Juulsen bust like Tinordi but some can turn into a journey NHL player like Beaulieu.

- Norlinder like you said is the interesting one. It's very early but lots to like with his offensive game and the flashes of brilliance we have seen this year so far. Harris to me is like Norlinder but a notch below in terms of ceiling potential. Harris reminds me of a Reilly type prospect and he needs to get physically stronger if he wants to nail down a full time role down the road.

- Struble could turn into Tinoridi or Subban or somewhere in the massive middle between them two. It's just way to early to know how his game translates cause he is playing NCAA at the age of 18. It's a big jump for him this year from high school hockey to NCCA (similar to Poehling in his 1st NCAA year).
Easy to see who’s been doing there homework ;)

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Kudos to the coaching staff for letting him play threw his mistake, he made a bad giveaway but a period later he scored a beautiful goal.

In the past our coaching staffs would've nailed him to the bench, healthy scratched him for the new few games then sent him down to the AHL.

Reactions: gillyguzzler

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal

To me Harris and Reilly don't have so many things in common. Harris is very stable defensively compared to what Reilly has ever been.

Reactions: Acadien86
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad