Cal Pickard

JWells16

Nov 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
I know it's a home crowd, and that three stars are a joke, but only getting the third star was ridiculous.

Eh...

Gotta give the home shutout goalie and the game winner, especially in the home crowd, before the losing goalie.

Even though I agree that I was the best player on the ice.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Another win today, as Buffalo also outshot the Avs 29-23 (sigh, again). 28 saves to improve his SV% to .936, and record to 5-5-2. Will be an interesting case if he stymies Detroit tomorrow.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
That kid is singlehandedly dragging us out of the McDavid race at the ripe age of 22.

He deserves a bumping of this thread.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Absolutely amazing. Sole reason the Avs are winning right now.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
What's going to happen to him when Varmarlov returns this tuesday?

Sadly, likely returned to the AHL. Probably the best thing for him though. Don't rush him to the NHL and ruin him, let him get a ton of starts in the minors, find a way to get rid of Berra in the off-season, then let him back up Varly next year. He's only 22, lots of time.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
What's going to happen to him when Varmarlov returns this tuesday?

AHL I'd say.

He's played fantastic for us, Varly is still unquestionably the #1 here, and Pickard can be sent down without having to go through waivers, and he'll get lots of starts in Lake Erie.

He'll come back up again if we have any injuries, and next year he's almost certainly the Backup. Kid has been phenomenal, huge boost to our prospect pool to have a #1G Potential in the system.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I read something (so probably on Twitter, but it seemed reputable at the time) saying that the Avs intended to keep Pickard up for awhile, even after Varlamov returns.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I read something (so probably on Twitter, but it seemed reputable at the time) saying that the Avs intended to keep Pickard up for awhile, even after Varlamov returns.

I hope he's earned it. Sending him down wouldn't be fair to him or the team. If only we could dump Berra.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

I'd be surprised if that's the case. But if it were to happen, it means Roy will timeshare the goaltending position until Varlamov gets back into form. So I see a 60:40 split or something happening in that event.

He wants Pickard to play and he's also waiver immune. Lake Erie needs some goaltending reinforcements (I believe Aittokallio is still injured), just makes sense to send him back down as the team gets healthy. Unless he gives Berra a short stint down in Lake Erie to get himself back into the thick of things, then a week or two later swaps Berra and Pickard while letting Varly play more.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Avs stole two points thanks to Pickard. They didn't deserve squat in this game.

That's not entirely true.

Neither team generated a whole lot in the way of scoring chances, both teams converted on there 3rd period PP's.

The Wings outshot the Avs by a decent amount, but they didn't have that many quality scoring chances, albeit the Avs didn't either.

This is one of those games where the Corsi stats will probably suggest the Avs were dominated, but it really wasn't much separation between the two teams. The Wings were better yes, but not by a whole lot.

And on another Pickard note, he might have a decent shot at one of the 3 stars of the Week after tonights game.

2-0-1 Record, ~0.95 GAA and a .973 sv% in those 3 games. Pretty damn good stats on the week for the kid, especially with No shutouts recorded. If it weren't for Kopitar and Gaborik blowing up this week, he'd probably find a spot in the Top 3.

Last edited:

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Avs stole two points thanks to Pickard. They didn't deserve squat in this game.

Pickard played great. But Detroit took a bunch of Average shots from the point. Neither team generated many chances. Detroit played a tired Avs squad after playing Buff the night before and the same goalie that played the night before.

But don't kid yourself into thinking Detroit should've won by a landslide...

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
And on another Pickard note, he might have a decent shot at one of the 3 stars of the Week after tonights game.

2-0-1 Record, ~0.95 GAA and a .973 sv% in those 3 games. Pretty damn good stats on the week for the kid, especially with No shutouts recorded. If it weren't for Kopitar and Gaborik blowing up this week, he'd probably find a spot in the Top 3.

toss up between him and Fleury if they have some kind of rule to only take one goalie.

3-0-0, 0.99 GAA, 0.971 save%, 1 SO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad