New York, NY
2569.jpg

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=38703

http://shl.se/roster/MODO/5152

Part-1 + Part-2; this is Part-3.

mynameistickle

Sep 9, 2009
Richmond, VA
Who are his linemates in MODO? I know he was paired with SHL vet Skröder and Possler (BUF prospect) to start the season.

Was Possler briefly injured and bumped off his line? Looking at the box scores Kempe is on his line now? I'm a huge Kempe fan. Should be good for the both of them! MODO is developing great talent, probably thanks in part to Forsberg.

Seems like Nylander's on ice vision and high IQ are creating almost all of the offense for MODO. Great to see this youngster thriving! Also can't wait to see him in action at the WJC!

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
The closeup of Joff... I mean Nylander in that jersey just reminds me that ads are coming to the NHL. I hope the NHL at least implements them better than the hideousness that is that jersey.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
What do your star players do? They make the players around them much much better aka Crosby, Tavares, Malkin, Stamkos, Kessel, Getzlaf, Perry and many more. What Nylander is doing right now for a poor Modo is exactly what you expect Crosby to make Kunitz and Hornquist.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Elite prospects tweeted a list of best all time U19 seasons in the SHL, noting Nylander with 14 points is already in the Top 50, and with just ten more points will vault into the Top 10:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league_total.php?season=%&leagueid=SHL&leagueteam=&nation=&sort=u19

It's hard to compare eras, especially since the SHL can be argued to be a lot weaker thanks to the rise of other european leagues like the NLA and KHL (not to mention the very NHL friendly transfer agreement), but Nylander's current level of production, even if he tails off a bit, will put him in some impressive company. Even a PPG pace or close will put him in the Top 10 amongst all U20 players in Swedish history.

Not going to comment about him beyond that, only that his statistics compared to guys from the last 15-20 years puts him in some very good company.

StanleyTOR

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
twitter.com
Elite prospects tweeted a list of best all time U19 seasons in the SHL, noting Nylander with 14 points is already in the Top 50, and with just ten more points will vault into the Top 10:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league_total.php?season=%&leagueid=SHL&leagueteam=&nation=&sort=u19

It's hard to compare eras, especially since the SHL can be argued to be a lot weaker thanks to the rise of other european leagues like the NLA and KHL (not to mention the very NHL friendly transfer agreement), but Nylander's current level of production, even if he tails off a bit, will put him in some impressive company. Even a PPG pace or close will put him in the Top 10 amongst all U20 players in Swedish history.

Not going to comment about him beyond that, only that his statistics compared to guys from the last 15-20 years puts him in some very good company.

Not only did he make that list, but he made that list playing with players who are arguably worse than the players that others in the top 50s played with.

He has the ability, and he has the hair. He just needs the muscles. He seems to not mind going to the net either, which is relativelyy rare(?) in Euros? He doesn't seem soft when he plays, maybe his dad being Michael Nylander factored in?

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Not only did he make that list, but he made that list playing with players who are arguably worse than the players that others in the top 50s played with.

He has the ability, and he has the hair. He just needs the muscles. He seems to not mind going to the net either, which is relativelyy rare(?) in Euros? He doesn't seem soft when he plays, maybe his dad being Michael Nylander factored in?

Saw a tweet saying Nylander is up to 180 already and almost up to 6ft now. Hopefully his defensive game comes together and if he comes back to camp next year at 185 he should be ready

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
the first day he was drafted by Leafs he was a bust!!!! wow you're late dude!

Actually its he's a Crosby,Newendyk, Niedermeyer, Leetch, Lidstrom,Foote the time they get drafted. Its usually 3 years later that they actually are considered busts but heh lets not let the truth ruin a good Nylander hype thread

StanleyTOR

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
twitter.com
Saw a tweet saying Nylander is up to 180 already and almost up to 6ft now. Hopefully his defensive game comes together and if he comes back to camp next year at 185 he should be ready

If he is already at 180, he can be 185 by the end of the season. If that is indeed true, it's not unimaginable to see him at 190+ by next season. I'm optimistic, much because his dad is an alumnus of the NHL.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
If he is already at 180, he can be 185 by the end of the season. If that is indeed true, it's not unimaginable to see him at 190+ by next season. I'm optimistic, much because his dad is an alumnus of the NHL.

Typically you lose weight as the season progresses, not gain weight

He very well could of been up to 180, he's probably up/down depending on the day hovering in the 175 range

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
amazing how the SHL has suddenly become a weak league the moment a leafs prospect starts dominating it.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
He has more time to be in the gym and such with Sweden's schedule. in the CHL/AHL/NHL he would of lost weight yes.

amazing how the SHL has suddenly become a weak league the moment a leafs prospect starts dominating it.

It seems like every time a big market prospect doesn't get 100% praise, somebody whines about how people are picking on their team.

As for the schedule, SHL play pretty much every 2nd day & have a 55 game schedule. It's not like he's playing an NCAA schedule where he only plays 2 games on the weekend for a 30something game schedule. He's playing a pro schedule against grown ass men.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It seems like every time a big market prospect doesn't get 100% praise, somebody whines about how people are picking on their team.

To be dead honest, any kid doing what Willy is doing in the SHL right now deserves 100% praise.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
To be dead honest, any kid doing what Willy is doing in the SHL right now deserves 100% praise.

I liked his game before he was drafted, I liked his game despite being picked by the Leaf, and I've been extremely impressed with his game... but I can still find flaws in his game. If it was 100% praise he'd be an NHL superstar right now or at the very least playing in the top 6 for the Leafs.

But if I said something that wasn't all positive about Kevin Fiala nobody would tell me it was because I hate the Predators :laugh: people have to keep their NHL allegiance in the individual team sections and quit whining if people don't think their prospects poo gold nuggets.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Domenic Galamini ‏@MimicoHero 44m44 minutes ago
Just to put Nylander's current SHL scoring pace into perspective...

B2vRcpuIMAAwOXb.png

StanleyTOR

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
twitter.com
He plays in 20 minutes.

Modo vs Vaxjo

Here's to another multi-point game, I'm hoping.

& I have no doubt that he will be in good shape for next season's camp, just because his dad was already a bonafide NHL pro. People don't care about the bloodline at times, but when you have a father who was arguably not as talented as Willy is, to teach him how to grind through tough times, that is a plus.

If the Leafs are on the bubble of making the playoffs, I can see Nylander come in and be dynamic. I'm really hoping he will be our Calder trophy winner next season, the Leafs haven't had one of those for a loooong time.

Also, I'd argue SHL is second (some argue 3rd -- KHL being 2nd) to the NHL. So I wouldn't take anything away from the SHL. This kind of a success for an 18 year old against MEN, it's impressive. What were you doing when you were 18? I'm 21 and I'm spending my days studying for a potential career.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad