C Will Smith - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 4th, SJS)

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Puck retriever + sniper + can cover defense. MBN does everything that you want with Smith.
That's what I'm thinking when it comes to MBN. I'm looking for fit as much or more that the higher ceiling.

I'd be thrilled with either one at 14

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Are the Sharks going to be playing two teenagers as their top 6 centers?
Granlund will start and probably finish the season as the 1C. Couture would be 2C but many of us are not sure he'll ever play a full season again.

Smith will likely struggle as an NHL C for his first season. I also think they should start him on the wing. Celebrini will probably play and do okay not great as a 2C. But as an 18 year old that will be an excellent season.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
#1C Granlund baby.
They have couture as well one of celebrini or Smith should move to wing unless celebrini is ready for 2c but he should start at 3c or 2/4 wing both should get pp time as well but the sharks should look to get some interim help through free agency or trades to help and support their highly talented 18 and 19 year old not to mention Eklund as well who is only 20. Plenty of of high end d men will come available through the next few drafts focus on another forward with that no.14 pick.

Reactions: Grinner

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Granlund will start and probably finish the season as the 1C. Couture would be 2C but many of us are not sure he'll ever play a full season again.

Smith will likely struggle as an NHL C for his first season. I also think they should start him on the wing. Celebrini will probably play and do okay not great as a 2C. But as an 18 year old that will be an excellent season.
I don't see Celebrini doing much better.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
They have couture as well one of celebrini or Smith should move to wing unless celebrini is ready for 2c but he should start at 3c or 2/4 wing both should get pp time as well but the sharks should look to get some interim help through free agency or trades to help and support their highly talented 18 and 19 year old not to mention Eklund as well who is only 20. Plenty of of high end d men will come available through the next few drafts focus on another forward with that no.14 pick.
My guess is Granlund 1C, Celebrini 2C, and Smith somewhere on that third line. In my opinion the ideal scenario is you play Smith at his natural position (C) but you have a veteran center playing wing on his line so that center can help with defensive responsibilities and faceoffs. Hopefully Couture is fully healthy and he can be that player, otherwise we have to go out and find one via FA or trade.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Going to be really tough on both Smith and Celebrini to deal with the responsibilities for center at the NHL level without any insulation.

I hope SJ can pick up some.. and I don't even mean just centers. Having a responsible winger on your line is immensely helpful.

Reactions: Faceboner

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio

Celebrini will be better than expected for much of the season

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited. But the Sharks D is really bad and unless Grier gets aggressive we will still be a bottom 2 team next year very solidly, probably still worst, even with a Calder season from Macklin. I'd expect 55-60pts per 82 and being really really excited, but he might start slower out of the gate. Also that's an amazing rookie season but only an "OK not great" NHL 2C season. Which is amazing if he's there in year 1 as an 18 year old for the whole year.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
My guess is Granlund 1C, Celebrini 2C, and Smith somewhere on that third line. In my opinion the ideal scenario is you play Smith at his natural position (C) but you have a veteran center playing wing on his line so that center can help with defensive responsibilities and faceoffs. Hopefully Couture is fully healthy and he can be that player, otherwise we have to go out and find one via FA or trade.
I'd actually play Smith on Granlund's wing at first and let him get acclimated.

Reactions: zombie kopitar

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
No slight on celebrini or Bedard but Bedard put up a barely sub ppg season as a rookie which is tremendous but he still struggled at times cus he had no quality support qnd was expected to produce at a ppg clip which could have been possible with more help unless San Jose gets more help celebrini will struggle too

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
No slight on celebrini or Bedard but Bedard put up a barely sub ppg season as a rookie which is tremendous but he still struggled at times cus he had no quality support qnd was expected to produce at a ppg clip which could have been possible with more help unless San Jose gets more help celebrini will struggle too
Bedard was overhyped coming in, real fans knew he was/is atrocious defensively and has no acceleration to his skating, which held him back some. He looked better overall post jaw injury.

Celebrini is much more well rounded and I expect will play a mature game from the start. The offense will be slow at times, but I expect him to feast on the PP, as the Sharks PP is much better than the Blackhawks PP.

Reactions: themelkman

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Sharks need to get some more quality veterans worthy of top 6 roles. Putting a lot on really young forwards with limited support.

Sorry, @sigx15
Going to be really tough on both Smith and Celebrini to deal with the responsibilities for center at the NHL level without any insulation.

I hope SJ can pick up some.. and I don't even mean just centers. Having a responsible winger on your line is immensely helpful.
Yeah, we’ve been discussing this scenario a lot on the Sharks board and we all agree that Grier has to make some moves this offseason to support Celebrini and Smith. Two top-6 wings and two top-4 D are pretty much essential to supporting the kids.

The Sharks are gonna be bad next year regardless, but we need to not be. Yunno. As bad as last year.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I'm in an extreme minority but I still believe in and have an appreciation of Kunin's game and think he is a good guy to stick with Smith on the 3rd line as he gets acclimated with the NHL.

Add Kostin for size and Smith finds himself with reliable, skilled (albeit limited) guys.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
I would have liked to see him stay in college one more year, but as we learned with Gauthier, if you have an elite NCAA prospect that wants to sign, you sign him.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
I'm in an extreme minority but I still believe in and have an appreciation of Kunin's game and think he is a good guy to stick with Smith on the 3rd line as he gets acclimated with the NHL.

Add Kostin for size and Smith finds himself with reliable, skilled (albeit limited) guys.
I don’t think you’re in the minority at all in believing in Kunin and his game. I think the majority of the Kunin criticisms stem from him being forced into a top 6 and power play role

Reactions: coooldude

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Not trying to rile up Sharks fans but wasn’t sure where to put this.

Who is the straw that stirred the drink between Smith and Cutter Gauthier? Who was driving the line and the better play now and in the future for those that watched them a ton?

Thanks!

Edit now know they didn’t play on the same line….still want to know why is the further better NHL playere

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad