Comparison-Jamie Benn

PierreLucDubois1.jpg

MOD:

Last edited by a moderator:

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
Looks like the Sharks could be seeing a lot of Dubois over the years. Going to be a joy to watch and infuriating at the same time.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto

how many times did he miss curfew?

good question, simple answer: Zero.

Day off...i passed by the gym, and who's there? Pierre-luc dubois

on a junior team that just won a game on a saturday night with a late curfew, guys are going out - they're gonna go get a drink or meet some girls in town - and p.l. Was having a workout post-game/post-week

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Best thing about PLD is the fact hes almost a year younger than some of these guys and only a bit older than Nolan Patrick of the 2017 draft. That could be huge developmentally.

Add to that the fact hes a work out machine (seen this from scouts as well as his coach). I know most NHL players work out hard. But guys like PLD who take it a step above just have that ability to blow peoples expectations because of pace of progession due to work ethic. A guy like C. Parayko has a similar work ethic, tops in the league. And he blew everyone away. Dubios is starting from much higher ground. So sky is the limit

Finally, I like how he did a ton this season almost all by himself. He had Svechinkov ( a 1st rounder) on his line. But still he outscored him and put up 99 points in his draft year. A really good feat. Especially as many consider him tremendous defensively

I honestly wouldnt be to suprised to see him end up as the 3rd or even 2nd best player from the draft in 5 years. Sort of like how Barkov/Mackinnon were run away top dogs (Drouin up there too) and Monahan has came from the back to be 2nd right now. Or even Johansen/Tarasenko from 2010.

Just a gut feeling hell end up as something special. I wanna say Hossa lite, but I have a feeling he could be a Hossa clone

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Best thing about PLD is the fact hes almost a year younger than some of these guys and only a bit older than Nolan Patrick of the 2017 draft. That could be huge developmentally.

Add to that the fact hes a work out machine (seen this from scouts as well as his coach). I know most NHL players work out hard. But guys like PLD who take it a step above just have that ability to blow peoples expectations because of pace of progession due to work ethic. A guy like C. Parayko has a similar work ethic, tops in the league. And he blew everyone away. Dubios is starting from much higher ground. So sky is the limit

Finally, I like how he did a ton this season almost all by himself. He had Svechinkov ( a 1st rounder) on his line. But still he outscored him and put up 99 points in his draft year. A really good feat. Especially as many consider him tremendous defensively

I honestly wouldnt be to suprised to see him end up as the 3rd or even 2nd best player from the draft in 5 years. Sort of like how Barkov/Mackinnon were run away top dogs (Drouin up there too) and Monahan has came from the back to be 2nd right now. Or even Johansen/Tarasenko from 2010.

Just a gut feeling hell end up as something special. I wanna say Hossa lite, but I have a feeling he could be a Hossa clone
Monahan actually entered his draft year as a strong contender for 3rd (behind Jones and MacKinnon, ahead of Barkov and Drouin), but having a weaker 3rd OHL year started a slight drop. Many thought he could have a Seguin like draft year. It'd be a slightly different route for PLD, who has actually risen in his draft year. But I get the gist of your point. Whoever gets PLD is getting a dedicated kid, he might be NHL ready by the fall, but I'd expect him to have another year in Jr. and a top 6 role (most likely 1st line LW) on Canada. It will be interesting how the scouts project him, I have a feeling he'll end up on the wing, which is fine for Oilers and Flames. It may make Vancouver think twice.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Monahan actually entered his draft year as a strong contender for 3rd (behind Jones and MacKinnon, ahead of Barkov and Drouin), but having a weaker 3rd OHL year started a slight drop. Many thought he could have a Seguin like draft year. It'd be a slightly different route for PLD, who has actually risen in his draft year. But I get the gist of your point. Whoever gets PLD is getting a dedicated kid, he might be NHL ready by the fall, but I'd expect him to have another year in Jr. and a top 6 role (most likely 1st line LW) on Canada. It will be interesting how the scouts project him, I have a feeling he'll end up on the wing, which is fine for Oilers and Flames. It may make Vancouver think twice.

I wouldnt mind him as a winger. Its interesting that it appears his point totals shot up when he was moved to center. Not sure if that resulted from him moving to center, or if it was just heating up to the Q and would have happened anyway if he stayed wing.

Probably better for him to break into league as a winger anyway and then move to center if need be in 2/3 years

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver

Why would Vancouver think twice? Boeser is our only likely 1st line wing talent in the system

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Why would Vancouver think twice? Boeser is our only likely 1st line wing talent in the system

Because wing is arguably the least important position in the NHL and you just spent your last two first rounders on wingers?

It's extremely hard to find franchise centres and franchise dmen outside the top 10. Both those positions are much more critical to solve in order to become a Stanley Cup contender. I think after drafting two wings it would be a mistake to draft another when there are top pairing dmen available. I know VAN fans hate that logic but I think it's sound. If VAN scouts think Brown has franchise centre potential then there's another kid that make more sense than a winger.

Frankly dmen are of such critical importance that VAN would be smart to grab one or trade down and grab one. Dmen aren't the sexy pick, fans love forwards but the importance of defencemen should not be underestimated.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Because you've invested heavily on the wings, and are lacking a #1c or #1d prospect. Maybe the Nucks see him as a center so it won't matter. Its more Edmonton and Calgary have good depth at Center, and in the Flames case on D too.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Because wing is arguably the least important position in the NHL and you just spent your last two first rounders on wingers?

It's extremely hard to find franchise centres and franchise dmen outside the top 10. Both those positions are much more critical to solve in order to become a Stanley Cup contender. I think after drafting two wings it would be a mistake to draft another when there are top pairing dmen available. I know VAN fans hate that logic but I think it's sound. If VAN scouts think Brown has franchise centre potential then there's another kid that make more sense than a winger.

Frankly dmen are of such critical importance that VAN would be smart to grab one or trade down and grab one. Dmen aren't the sexy pick, fans love forwards but the importance of defencemen should not be underestimated.

I get the reasoning, I really do. But draft BPA, position be damned. If Jimbo thinks PLD is BPA then he is going to pick him. Its not like there is an ekblad calibre dman in this draft. If there was and he was available at 5 then yeah, its a no brainer. We will likely be drafting D heavily with the rest of our picks in this draft. I cant see Benning passing up an opportunity to grab a 1st line player. Period.

Last edited:

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver

I would agree with you if there was a d-man that could compare to the level of talent Dubois and Tkachuk have. Dubois and Tkachuk both have franchise player ceilings - that just isn't the case with any defenceman in this draft at this point.

WhiteCurse

Jan 4, 2013
Canada VI

Still pushing your agenda with a dman to Van i see.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Agreed. We need a top winger, top center and a top D.
Always take the BPA. There is no number one center available at pick 5 nor is there a number one defenseman.
Teams who draft based on need as opposed to the best player available will always regret it.
Vancouver will end up with a great player at pick 5: either Dubois or Tkachuk. Any other pick would be a mistake, IMO.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I would agree with you if there was a d-man that could compare to the level of talent Dubois and Tkachuk have. Dubois and Tkachuk both have franchise player ceilings - that just isn't the case with any defenceman in this draft at this point.
To some people Chychrun does (atleast 1 scout had Chychrun top 5 according to McKenzie), and he seems to be one of the more divisive prospects. I believe he has franchise defender potential and was seriously thinking he or PLD (gambling on that slight bit of center potential) would be the pick if Leafs ended up 4. I don't think the gap between 5 and 6 is as big as people are claiming, and its much closer to being a 4-9 tier, and I've held this belief prior to the lottery.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I get Edmonton needs a d-man; but how do you pass on this guy? I would hate to see him end up in Vancouver. He could end up a top 3 player from this draft.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Agreed. We need a top winger, top center and a top D.
Always take the BPA. There is no number one center available at pick 5 nor is there a number one defenseman.
Teams who draft based on need as opposed to the best player available will always regret it.
Vancouver will end up with a great player at pick 5: either Dubois or Tkachuk. Any other pick would be a mistake, IMO.

Couldnt agree more. Build in other ways, but dont lose value trying to land a need in the top 10 of a draft. Either guy is a big need in West too

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I disagree. This draft I see a drop off after the fifth pick which I said even before we moved down in the draft lottery.
Trading down and missing out on Dubois or Tkachuk would be a poor decision.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I posted this is in another thread. But this draft will be super important 4-7. Normally you want to pick the best guy, but if you mess up and the guy behind you is better and goes to a non division rival, its a loss but not major. If you have a rival behind you and rival gets better guy, its a double loss as youll have to see that guy on the regular

However with the Oilers have 3 division rivals behind them, 2 being major rivals. Any loss is amplified by 4 (triple for Canucks) and any win is that much better. Its very imperative for Oilers, Canucks and Flames to nail their picks. Oilers have most risk and reward, Canucks a bit less, and so on. So hitting your picks in this draft is crucial

I am not at all in favour of picking a D (who by nearly all scouts are a step below) to fill a need. That is a receipt for disaster and potentially a big one. I can understand Flames and Arizona fans wanting Oilers and Canucks to choose D and let the superior prospects fall. But I personally dont see it happening.

Dubios is just too good. And to me has insane upside

Last edited:

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
I posted this is in another thread. But this draft will be super important 4-6. Normally you want to pick the best guy, but if you mess up and the guy behind you is better and goes to a non division rival, its a loss but not major. If you have a rival behind you and rival gets better guy, its a double loss as youll have to see that guy on the regular

However with the Oilers have 3 division rivals behind them, so being major rivals. Any loss is amplified by 4 (triple for Canucks) and any win is that much better. Its very imperative for Oilers, Canucks and Flames to nail their picks. Oilers have most risk and reward, Canucks a bit less, and so on. So hitting your picks in this draft is crucial

I am not at all in favour of picking a D (who by nearly all scouts are a step below) to fill a need. That is a receipt for disaster and potentially a big one. I can understand Flames and Arizona fans wanting Oilers and Canucks to choose D and let the superior prospects fall. But I personally dont see it happening.

I agree sir. This kid fits the mould of a Benning type pick also. I cannot see him passing on him if he is available.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I posted this is in another thread. But this draft will be super important 4-6. Normally you want to pick the best guy, but if you mess up and the guy behind you is better and goes to a non division rival, its a loss but not major. If you have a rival behind you and rival gets better guy, its a double loss as youll have to see that guy on the regular

However with the Oilers have 3 division rivals behind them, so being major rivals. Any loss is amplified by 4 (triple for Canucks) and any win is that much better. Its very imperative for Oilers, Canucks and Flames to nail their picks. Oilers have most risk and reward, Canucks a bit less, and so on. So hitting your picks in this draft is crucial

Agree with all of that. There just isn't a defenseman at that level in this draft. Take Dubois or Tkachuk (BPA).
While the Canucks lack a number one defenseman there's not an obvious one at that spot. It's possible that one of the five or six defensemen ranked in the top 15 in this draft end up as a number one but picking which one is too much of a long shot.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
I get the reasoning, I really do. But draft BPA, position be damned. If Jimbo thinks PLD is BPA then he is going to pick him. Its not like there is an ekblad calibre dman in this draft. If there was and he was available at 5 then yeah, its a no brainer. We will likely be drafting D heavily with the rest of our picks in this draft. I cant see Benning passing up an opportunity to grab a 1st line player. Period.

Agreed. I'm just not convinced that Chiarelli and Benning see there being a drop off after #5 like the fans do. Chiarelli has talked about the players from 4-9 being very good players and has openly talked about dealing down. Benning seems to mention 2-3 forwards and 2 defensemen as being right in their range. He's said they wanted to draft a defensemen if they were picking outside the top 3-4. But he's confused that by talking about prioritizing a 1st line forward over a #2 d-man. At this point its hard to rule anything out. He may be talking up the forwards right now because he wants to move down a spot or two and grab a Dman. Hard to say.

I know VAN fans see it as Dubois/Tkachuk and then a drop off but I don't think the quotes from scouts and GMs that we've seen would support that. In Calgary Burke talked about a big drop off for our team after 8. Treliving has talked about a small ledge after 6, and another small ledge after 7. Many scouts have been quoted as talking about the players from 4-12 being similar in upside. Mackenzie went on TV saying the teams from 4-12 might all get the guy they have #4 on their list. Where in that does anyone get the idea that it drops off after 5? I've never heard any scout suggest that and I've heard them say a lot of things that contradict that.

I think some VAN fans hear what they want to hear from the Benning interviews while ignoring what other GMs and scouts are saying. I think the players from 4-8, 4-9 are pretty dang close and the teams in that range can tiebreak based on need or organizational philosophy. I know in Calgary here Burke has talked about if two players are tied they take the d-man over the forward and if two players are tied they take the centre over the winger. I fully subscribe to that logic.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
I disagree. This draft I see a drop off after the fifth pick which I said even before we moved down in the draft lottery.
Trading down and missing out on Dubois or Tkachuk would be a poor decision.

I've never seen a quote from a scout or GM that backs up the idea that there is a drop off after 5. And I can provide plenty of quotes that contradict that idea.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Still pushing your agenda with a dman to Van i see.

I have no influence or affect on anything. I'm merely offering up my opinion on what I think the Canucks should do based on their organizational depth at various positions.

I think some VAN fans are guilty of underrating the importance of defensemen and I think a lot of fans on this board are guilty of underrating the defense class this year. Time will tell and we'll see how it truly goes down. Annoying that it is so far away though!

If Dubois/Tkachuk go 4/5 I'll be happy to get the best d-man at #6. You can never have too many defensemen. And just ask EDM how well they compete drafting forward after forward and ignoring the defense position for far too long. Do VAN fans want to be the next EDM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad