Prospect Info: C/W Jiri Kulich, 28th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft; recalled 11/25/23, assigned 11/29/23

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I want to stop normalizing not playing defense or going all out just because a guy can bring some offense. Let’s not tolerate that narrative. Play hard or go somewhere else

Reactions: Ehran

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'd like to know what the plan is here and give him direction to fill that role. He's played more games at center than on the wing this year but he's not defensively attuned enough to be strong in that role at that level. That pretty much precludes him as that when moving up a tier too. Do they want a shooty Palat? Just a better Vic? What is the plan?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
First AHL goal in 2 months (he missed time with the U20's and the injury)

And then left the ice barely mobile a few moments later due to we don't know what.

• Wow
Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

3. Jiri Kulich, C/LW/RW, 19 (Rochester Americans)
A riser in his draft year after a standout showing at U18 worlds, and a continued riser since with his strong play in the AHL (including in the middle to give him real positional versatility), Kulich is a sturdy, driven, hard-shooting player who can morph his game to his role. He can function as the detail-oriented, above-puck defender who makes quick plays/decisions with the puck. He can play off of talented linemates to free his extremely dangerous shooting arsenal up. Or he can carry the puck and function as the primary handler on a line. I like his positioning off the puck. I like the strength, balance and control of his skating stride. I like how quickly and hard shots come off of his stick (not just with his world-class one-timer but through a deceptive early release point in stride, too). I’ve seen him come up big in big moments.

He’s got quick hands and semi-regularly flashes skill with the puck on a string one-on-one and under the triangles of defenders’ sticks. He’s got good feel around the net. He plays hard. His skating is noticeable off the puck in his ability to pursue and recapture possession to extend sequences. The ice tends to tilt in his favour when he’s on it. He stays over pucks and protects them extremely well. He supports play well. There’s a lot to like about his makeup. He just looks like a pro — and has played like one as a teenager in the AHL the last two seasons, which included leading a good Americans team in playoff scoring with seven goals in 12 games. I have no doubt he’s going to be an NHLer — and likely a very good one. I think he’s going to be a perennial 25-goal guy who might touch 30.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Sounds exactly like Victor Olofsson 🤔

He’s got good feel around the net. He plays hard. His skating is noticeable off the puck in his ability to pursue and recapture possession to extend sequences. The ice tends to tilt in his favour when he’s on it. He stays over pucks and protects them extremely well. He supports play well.
Eh, that doesn't sound like Olofsson at all, TBH. :)

Reactions: HOOats and Dingo44

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
his slight uptick in defensive acumen and in turn his development as a center has made think about how many prospects have we wasted letting them jump the AHL and develop as a winger in the NHL then move them to center without time in the A.

Im still butt hurt Reinhart didnt take that path. He’s turned out to be a great winger but his skillset as a prospect screamed center.

Mitts never got the time

Krebs should’ve been in the A longer

But now at look at Kulich and I see what the correct path was for Cozens most of all. Imagine if Cozens had that carrot of making it to the NHL If he developed his defensive game at center. We would have a legit number 2 right now

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
his slight uptick in defensive acumen and in turn his development as a center has made think about how many prospects have we wasted letting them jump the AHL and develop as a winger in the NHL then move them to center without time in the A.

Im still butt hurt Reinhart didnt take that path. He’s turned out to be a great winger but his skillset as a prospect screamed center.

Mitts never got the time

Krebs should’ve been in the A longer

But now at look at Kulich and I see what the correct path was for Cozens most of all. Imagine if Cozens had that carrot of making it to the NHL If he developed his defensive game at center. We would have a legit number 2 right now

Kulich looks a lot better at center over the last month or so. I would say he had his best game as a 200' player there just last week. I'm curious if that's what the objective is long-term.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Kulich looks a lot better at center over the last month or so. I would say he had his best game as a 200' player there just last week. I'm curious if that's what the objective is long-term.
Bolster the 3rd line and 4th lines via trades and put him as the 3C with some solid third line guys? I wouldn’t mind that plan if he really has a great run in the playoffs.

Or make a big upgrade at 3C, have Kulich play wing and slowly bring him into center.

The more I think about this the more I’m realizing that we may be going into next season with Kulich and Savoie on the roster. Which I think would easily put us as our youngest team ever.

Someone under contract or an RFA forward has to be gone. Unless we’re moving one of Savoie or Kulich which means we’ve obviously made a massive trade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad