C/W Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Ässät, Liiga (2018, 3rd, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Okay. there are a couple of questions here, and I'll try to answer them with an explanation and an example.

In Svech's case, he got out of his Russia deal and went to the USHL, and was then drafted in the import draft. He didn't even come to the CHL through a Euro club.

Zadina was outright drafted in the Import draft and signed with the team after terminating his deal in the Czech Republic. He didn't have a valid Czech contract when he came over. Players who can be considered loaned need to be loaned by a team in Europe that they have a valid contract with. Zadina could have done this if his agent structured it that way and Halifax was willing. Certain CHL teams are significantly more desirable to Euros such as Halifax and London, so they can say they won't draft them or take them in that type of deal. In Nylander's case, I feel the team was desperate (as shown by their willingness to hire the dad as a coach), so they were willing to structure the deal in any way. William was just drafted by Toronto, and Sauga isn't a very successful franchise, so I assume their hope was they could bring up attendance through the name association.

Firstly, Brady Tkachuk is a late-birthday. Even if he was drafted from the Knights this year, he could play in the AHL in 2019-20 (for example like Lucas Johansen could this year, while Mikey McLeod couldn't). Now, any player drafted out of a non-CHL league but plays their first post-draft year there can enter the AHL for their 19-year-old year. For example, if Wahlstrom decided to play in the CHL next year after being drafted out of the USHL, could enter the AHL at 19, a clear example of this would be Sonny Milano in the 2015/16 season playing in the AHL despite being 19 and playing in the CHL at 18.

So, basic rules of thumb. any player drafted out of CHL has to play their 18 and 19 year old in the CHL. Unless they are a rare exception like Nylander and Honka ( a new trend agents may pick up on), but still highly uncommon.

If drafted from anywhere else, they can play in the AHL immediately, depending on the contract status they have in their region (this is especially tricky with Russians).

If a player is drafted and goes to the CHL post draft, they are free to leave at any-time.
Awesome thanks so much.

Brownies

I haven't read much on the draft and I'm watching a bunch od highlights and shift by shift vids. So far, Kotkaniemi is the guy I want in Montreal. I don't know he looks a lot better than Zadina and Tkatchuk, no ? Nice hands, vision and shot. Looks like a real #3 overall.

Reactions: NoQuinn

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I haven't read much on the draft and I'm watching a bunch od highlights and shift by shift vids. So far, Kotkaniemi is the guy I want in Montreal. I don't know he looks a lot better than Zadina and Tkatchuk, no ? Nice hands, vision and shot. Looks like a real #3 overall.
I feel like by trading Galchenyuk the Habs have signified that they are taking Kotkaniemi.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I don't think Kotkaniemi is as good as Barkov but I see him as a legit top 6 center. If he's there at #7 I hope the Canucks don't just easily look past him. Travis Green today mentioned a center and a winger
(along with D obvs) when talking about the pick so obviously "center" means Kotkaniemi. Although I kinda doubt he will be there @ #7, teams probably have him pretty high.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Kotkaniemi is a surefire top 6 C in my eyes. Perfect fit for Montreal. I wouldn’t trade back any further than 5 though if they want to guarantee him. He is going to be very high on a lot of teams boards.

Reactions: derriko

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't think Kotkaniemi is as good as Barkov but I see him as a legit top 6 center. If he's there at #7 I hope the Canucks don't just easily look past him. Travis Green today mentioned a center and a winger
(along with D obvs) when talking about the pick so obviously "center" means Kotkaniemi. Although I kinda doubt he will be there @ #7, teams probably have him pretty high.

He's not as good as Barkov today, but who knows how close he can get in few years time.

Barkov was a beast on day 1 of his draft season, but he battled with multiple injuries that ruined his offseasons in the 1st years since drafted.
Where as Kotkaniemie saw a a nice development through the year and is training healthy.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
The only similarities between Barkov and Kotkaniemi is that they are both big centers with questions about their skating. As a prospect, Barkov was the smarter player with better hands and playmaking, while Kotkaniemi is a more straightforward player with a better shot (and uses it more) and more physicality. However, if Kotkaniemi can improve his weaknesses like Barkov did, he will be a great player too.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Drafting out of desperation to plug holes in the lineup with kids is always a great move.

Basically nothing's going to save Montreals next season.

They made (now& longterm) the worst C group in the league even worse, and Kotkaniemie has gotten himself into top5 on lists.

Reactions: derriko

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Basically nothing's going to save Montreals next season.

They made (now& longterm) the worst C group in the league even worse, and Kotkaniemie has gotten himself into top5 on lists.

Its true, but the draft does bring a certain amount of new excitement.

I mean, its going to be lots of fun following whoever the Habs pick at #3 this year, watching them become a great player and then trying to figure out what lesser player they will get traded for in 5 years. EXCITING!

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Kotkaniemi has flown up the prospect ranking list and now being mentioned for 3rd overall. I wonder how much of that is because he seems to be the only guy who projects to be a top line center in this draft.

Reactions: derriko and deflowd

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Kotkaniemi has flown up the prospect ranking list and now being mentioned for 3rd overall. I wonder how much of that is because he seems to be the only guy who projects to be a top line center in this draft.

I don't think he projects as a top line C . Otherwise he would go 2nd across all draft rankings.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Kotkaniemi looks like his game will translate very well to the NHL. He moves well and with his size he has good puck control. Good shot and looks like a pretty good playmaker too. Can score around the net and from distance.

Does he bump Tkachuk down the board now? I know this draft is a mystery after #2. But is Tkachuk still clearly ahead as a prospect or does Kotkaniemi being a center vault him ahead?

Reactions: vokiel

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Yes, I'm coming around on this as well. I think Kotkaniemi has a real good case to be the #3.

He's basically a complete package, save for skating. And by all indications it is something that can be worked on with him.

Reactions: CapSpace

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Sounds like a disaster if Habs are picking him to be their saviour #1 C. Dude needs a lot of time.

There are basically no real options for quick fix for Montreal.

Kotkaniemi needs time, like vast majority of prospects, but he's not years away, he has the size& already plays against men.

If Montreal picks him no prospect will have more pressure than him. How many years have the Habs/fans dreamed of getting a quality C, how crazy of a hockey city Montreal is?

He's getting top5 hype but he hasn't been there the whole year, the pick would get laughs/would be questioned. Montreals media with the fans would put a ton of media on him.

Reactions: Jtown

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.

Eyes, eyes and even with eyes wide shut he's (Kotka) the Montreal-man.

Open your eyes man!

Winners or losers ... hey, about you Montreal!

Do you wanna win?

Take a Finn ...

HC7

May 2, 2018

Everyone looks good in highlight videos.

Reactions: deflowd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad