C/W Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Ässät, Liiga (2018, 3rd, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Kotkaniemi is ahead in age-to-age comparison, but sometimes you have late bloomers like Borgström. If I remember correctly he had a massive growth spurt after his D season (didn't get drafted) and went first round the next year. Can't remember how height he gained exactly, but it must have been a lot for not getting drafted at all at first. Otherwise I have watched some games from Borgström but can't really tell at this point if I'd take him over Kotkaniemi or what kind of ceiling exactly there is. There's a lot to like in Borgström's when looking at the skill set though. At the same time Kotkaniemi's game seems more physical. Think I'll abstain my vote for the time being. They could both i) turn into top six or even first line centers (if not converted to wing) ii) end up as bottom six players iii) not have respectable NHL careers at all and become regulars in Finland's national team.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I would take Kotkaniemi, which feels weird to say because I like Borgström so much. Borgström had an explosive development, but at the same time, Jesperi is just so far ahead of where Henrik was at the same age, while at the same time having so much room to develop, himself. There's so much projection involved in this comparison due to their age difference, but I find it unlikely that Jesperi won't be able to keep pace with what Borgström's been able to accomplish in the meantime.

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
It's literally just copy pasted from eliteprospects.com. The formatting is handled automatically.

Sorry i probably wasn't clear enough.

Did you just copy each row from each players page or is there some page that has this chart consolidated on one page?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Sorry i probably wasn't clear enough.

Did you just copy each row from each players page or is there some page that has this chart consolidated on one page?

There is a page that has all this info, you just have to work the filters on the league page for Liiga or SHL, or whatever league you're interested in. The filters I used were U18 and all time totals/season. This is why Rantanen is cut off, since he was a U19 player in his draft season.

Reactions: LiasAndersson

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
Do people really think that Kotkaniemi or Borgström have #1 C potential? I think there's a slight chance, but I see them as potential #2 C's if everything goes right, Borgström having the edge. A lot could still change, however.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Do people really think that Kotkaniemi or Borgström have #1 C potential? I think there's a slight chance, but I see them as potential #2 C's if everything goes right, Borgström having the edge. A lot could still change, however.

I don't think anyone projects either as top line centers. Projection vs 'having the potential to be' are slightly different though.

Reactions: Koijari

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I like Borgström more. He has unique package. Jesperi is little bit of mystery to me. He looked good in U18 WJC but it was frustrating to watch him playing Liiga. It is tough league for young players but still. I think he should be drafted around 15-30 and Rasmus Kupari 2nd round.

Last edited:
Reactions: LAINEC and Keke

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I think Kotkaniemi will be a 1C in the NHL.

If you prefer professional opinions, I'm sure there are plenty. Button and Pronman are top of mind.

I don't think any expert expects a true or 'legit' top line center, at this time. To me, that represents the best ~15-20 centers or so in the league. More realistic projections are 'top 6'. Maybe closer to players like ROR, Couture, RNH, Stepan etc. if he pans out. These are just projections, or saying what might be most likely, not what is possible or not.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I don't think any expert expects a true or 'legit' top line center, at this time. To me, that represents the best ~15-20 centers or so in the league. More realistic projections are 'top 6'. Maybe closer to players like ROR, Couture, RNH, Stepan etc. if he pans out. These are just projections, or saying what might be most likely, not what is possible or not.

A lot of my high ranking of Kotkaniemi is expecting a huge development from him over the next year. I'll pretty much know if I'm right by this time next year. Was his development really impeded by his injury history, which caused him to miss the lion's share of last season, and the off-season before? Is his wonky skating simply a lack of practice and strength, or his he just really untalented at it? We'll find out pretty quickly, I think.

Skills wise I have no problem with ranking him in the ''group after Svechnikov.''

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Watched his Edmonton interview and feels like a smart kid.

Looks up to Barkov from Finnish players, feels like his game is similar to his,
Feels that IQ is a strenght for him,
Skating and the 1st steps on the other hand the weakness.

Basically HF's scouting report from him.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Watched his Edmonton interview and feels like a smart kid.

Looks up to Barkov from Finnish players, feels like his game is similar to his,
Feels that IQ is a strenght for him,
Skating and the 1st steps on the other hand the weakness.

Basically HF's scouting report from him.
Link?

E:

Last edited:
Reactions: BB88

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I like Borgström more. He has unique package. Jesperi is little bit of mystery to me. He looked good in U18 WJC but it was frustrating to watch him playing Liiga. It is tough league for young players but still. I think he should be drafted around 15-30 and Rasmus Kupari 2nd round.

Borgström was late bloomer and he grow 15cm before his draft.
PS Borgström and Kotkaniemi aren't comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad