C/W Brad Lambert (2022, 30th, WPG) Part 3

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
After the weekend, he now leads the Moose in goals and points despite missing 6 games. 18g 43p in 51gp is a great stat line for a rookie C in the AHL, especially considering how he started the season as a teenager. Also pretty notable that he's a +1 on a team with a -23 goal differential, considering that's a statistic he's been criticized for in the past.

The AHL is not an easy league for 19/20 year old centers. It still wouldn't shock me if he ends up one of the best forwards from his draft.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
After the weekend, he now leads the Moose in goals and points despite missing 6 games. 18g 43p in 51gp is a great stat line for a rookie C in the AHL, especially considering how he started the season as a teenager. Also pretty notable that he's a +1 on a team with a -23 goal differential, considering that's a statistic he's been criticized for in the past.

The AHL is not an easy league for 19/20 year old centers. It still wouldn't shock me if he ends up one of the best forwards from his draft.

I really hope we got lucky with him falling to us in the draft and he pans out as a solid top 6 forward. Kind of reminds me of when Kyle Connor fell to us at 17th OA... we just couldn't believe it.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I really hope we got lucky with him falling to us in the draft and he pans out as a solid top 6 forward. Kind of reminds me of when Kyle Connor fell to us at 17th OA... we just couldn't believe it.
Yeah, crazy how much the Coyotes, Devils, Panthers, Stars, and especially Bruins whiffed on such a strong draft.

Just look at these names picked between 16 and 60 in the 2015 draft:
Forwards:
Barzal
Connor
Aho
Hintz
Eriksson Ek
Konecny

Defenseman:
Chabot
Dunn
Andersson
Cernak
Carlo
Siegenthaler
Kylington

You get the sense that 2022 could end up looking very similar with guys like Kulich, Lambert, Yurov, Casey, Poitras, Hutson, Luneau etc looking like they'd go a lot higher in a redraft.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777 and heretik27

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think you could argue he's having as impressive of a d+2 season of any 2022 forward, though you could probably say that about 6-7 other guys.

19g 46p in 52gp projects to roughly a 36 point NHL pace, but you have to consider he's doing it as a 19/20 year old on a pretty bad team. He's leading the Moose in goals and points despite missing 6 games.

In addition to Lambert, I think that you could argue any of the below forwards as having the most impressive d+2 season, though it's obviously easier to bias towards the guys in the NHL:

- Slafkovsky is scoring at a 45 point pace playing on the Habs top line
- Cooley is scoring at a 39 point pace playing in a secondary scoring role
- Yurov is lighting up the KHL and needs more love
- Gauthier and McGroarty are both having great years in the NCAA after being top scorers at the WJC
- Savoie had an impressive AHL stint and has been great in the WHL, despite a poor WJC

I wouldn't be shocked at all if Lambert ends up the best forward from this draft. And after looking like it might disappoint, 2022 is starting to again feel like a really deep draft. Especially at D.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Lambert has been the most productive AHL player from the 2022 draft:

View attachment 834506

Still crazy that he fell to 30th. There's no way there were 29 guys better than him in that draft.
Still would love to know the full story here. There was talks of him going top 5. Maybe he fell off the map going into the draft but when you start getting into the 20s it's a crapshoot anyways, why would you not take a gamble on a guy that was once talked about being in the top 5. Your pick in the 20s is not likely to turn into much anyways so why not go for a high risk high reward.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Still would love to know the full story here. There was talks of him going top 5. Maybe he fell off the map going into the draft but when you start getting into the 20s it's a crapshoot anyways, why would you not take a gamble on a guy that was once talked about being in the top 5. Your pick in the 20s is not likely to turn into much anyways so why not go for a high risk high reward.
Top 3.

Reactions: kylbaz

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
I felt like he was a victim of being judged as a potential top-3 pick and underperforming relative to that standard. Sure he deserved to drop from that position, but dropping to 30 felt like an overcorrection as soon as it happened.

Reactions: hn777 and OKR

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

He played for years way above his age group and frankly looked bad in the Finnish league. Stagnant scoring, but also just looked like the hockey IQ wasn't there. He would fly around and miss passing opportunities every shift. His family had him moved to a new team seemingly every few months and it didn't seem to help anything. So you have a player with questionable sense, and a potential malcontent. That's why he fell. I don't think he should have fallen that far but you have to understand the position, it isn't a mystery.

Finnish league in general is kind of bizarre and not very good. It's a lot of stifling turtling play with little skill or creativity. It makes it hard to assess players.

Reactions: Fenris and kylbaz

CrosbyStaalsAndNash

Apr 25, 2014
winnipeg
2 more assists today for Mr. Lambert.
49 points in 55 games (0.89pts/game) as he sets a new Manitoba Moose rookie scoring record and moved into sole possession of 2nd in rookie AHL scoring, behind Stankoven.

For comparison, 2022 4th OA pick Shane Wright has 41 points in 53 games with Coachella this year (0.77pts/game)

CrosbyStaalsAndNash

Apr 25, 2014
winnipeg
1711336172987.png

CrosbyStaalsAndNash

Apr 25, 2014
winnipeg
KFC-Schiefele-Vilardi
Ehlers-Monahan-Toffoli
Nino-Lowry-Lambert
Barron-Names-Iafallo

Nino and Lowry could cover his probable defensive shortcomings and lambert could help drive the offence for that line. Though swapping him and Toffoli would also be interesting to see play out.

I think McGroarty would slot in really well with Nino and Lowry, too.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
KFC-Schiefele-Vilardi
Ehlers-Monahan-Toffoli
Nino-Lowry-Lambert
Barron-Names-Iafallo

Nino and Lowry could cover his probable defensive shortcomings and lambert could help drive the offence for that line. Though swapping him and Toffoli would also be interesting to see play out.

I think McGroarty would slot in really well with Nino and Lowry, too.
He could bring some much needed speed to a relatively slow offensive group.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
With the Moose currently in fifth-place in their division, I'd imagine he joins the Jets for the playoffs if the Moose are eliminated early from the Calder Cup playoffs.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
With the Moose currently in fifth-place in their division, I'd imagine he joins the Jets for the playoffs if the Moose are eliminated early from the Calder Cup playoffs.

I'd think they'd already be trying him on the Jets now if they were considering putting him in the NHL playoffs.

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad