C Rasmus Kupari - Karpat, Liiga (2018, 20th, LAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
First of all Suikkanen is not coaching Kärpät this season. Their coach is Marjamäki's former number two, Mikko Manner. Secondly I have to say that Kupari is well on his way of becoming the most overhyped Finnish prospect I have seen. I saw him play in Finland's every game in the U18 WJC and now in the Liiga games that he played. Unfortunately he seems to me like a kid with excellent skating and pretty good hands, but unfortunately he is lacking with most of other things. Especially his hockey IQ looks pretty mediocre to me.

It's also good to remember that Aho was just barely left out from the first round. I believe that Aho was mostly overlooked because of his smallish size, and he had also one pretty weak showing in the U18 WJC, at least by points (the whole team sucked then though, especially the coaching). But otherwise his point production for example as an underager in B-juniors earlier was pretty excellent.

Hockey IQ might be a bit difficult thing to see and judge, but I honestly think that I have a pretty good sense in seeing it. I saw quite early already that Pulju has pretty mediocre hockey IQ, and I also saw from the first games that I saw Aho play in, that he has exceptional hockey IQ.

Unfortunately I see nothing even close to Aho's hockey IQ in Kupari, so honestly at the moment I'm not too high on Kupari. I wouldn't even be surprised if he slipped to the second round after all. Although skating is in today's hockey even overappreciated, so that might after all save Kupari from falling, as long as he manages to produce well at WJC tournaments.

Right, seems like they changed their head coach after last season.

I'm well aware of your fondness of Aho, after all you are pretty much the only person I've ever heard considering Aho being on the same tier as Laine. Which he isn't (while having top notch IQ and being great all around, he simply doesn't have the frame & physique, let alone the shot).

But the part I bold, are you kidding me? Most over-hyped Finnish prospect you have ever seen? And after barely 4 pages worth of talk. That's ludicrous. The only thing I've read here is about how curious people (including me) are about the kid and why he is ranked so high in the early lists of many scouting agencies, when I would almost bet money they have far better and extensive insights on the kid than either one of us. While most of us are delighted of watching him or seeing that rare ability to skate fluidly while still being able to keep the puck on the stick, quite many of us are still wondering about his upside, which has absolutely nothing to do with overhyping but instead being genuinely curious.

Now since you seem to know a lot of about hockey IQ, would you mind elaborating how many games have you actually seen from him? Cause to me, it sounds more as if you are again jumping on the hate train far too early (see case Rantanen).

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
What's up recently with all these promising young Finnish players who all seem to lack hockey IQ. :rant:

In all fairness, I think Kupari's decision making has more to do with him always been a dangler in juniors and now he is going to have to adjust on knowing when to make the simple play instead of trying to do it all by yourself with fancy moves.

Laine (and many others) had the same 'problem' at 17 when he kept forcing a bit too much. It didn't take long for him to find the balance of when to dangle and when to just make the easy play.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1OApick

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
What's up recently with all these promising young Finnish players who all seem to lack hockey IQ. :rant:

In all fairness, I think Kupari's decision making has more to do with him always been a dangler in juniors and now he is going to have to adjust on knowing when to make the simple play instead of trying to do it all by yourself with fancy moves.

Laine (and many others) had the same 'problem' at 17 when he kept forcing a bit too much. It didn't take long for him to find the balance of when to dangle and when to just make the easy play.

This could maybe be how it is. I'm not sure yet, but I will definitely be following him closely in Liiga and junior national teams. I do hope that his hockey IQ is after all much better than what I have seen so far.

I at least don't remember myself critisizing any other young Finnish players for the lack of hockey IQ, than Pulju and now Kupari (well ok, have still some small doubts on Vesalainen too, but I see some positive signs with him at least). With Pulju there are definitely certain problems with his hockey IQ, and so far I am quite convinced that the same applies to Kupari, to at least some extent. Time will of course tell us the absolute truth eventually.

Last edited:

ARGD

Oct 18, 2016
There's literally nothing he can't do very well, so dynamic. His skating is one of the absolute best i have ever seen in Liiga. Watch his ice time increase rapidly.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
The type of goal goalscorers always put into the back of the net.
That was also his first real opportunity at a shot with no coverage.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Missed the very first minutes of the game (and of course Kupari happens to score on the first shift). His movement on the ice is exciting to watch. Also Rasmus seemed to get plenty of ice time, while sadly no power play minutes, but then again didn't expect that either. Some good plays and a few turnovers, pretty decent overall impression. Was my second real viewing of Kupari at FEL (in the other game he barely skated) so hard to pass much judgement otherwise. I've heard a lot of praises about Rasmus' ability to shoot the puck. The combination of speed, hands, shooting and possibly size (he looks like the opposite of a grown up man) is quite enticing. Not to mention his natural position being C. Not that it makes any difference of how great of a player can become but more about the need. The Finnish roster should already be loaded on the wings looking long term. That said, need more coverage to get a better impression of his hockey IQ.

What strikes me the most about this kid is actually his appearance. He literally looks like a teenager or a young boy. I can't remember any other 17 year old top Finnish prospect who'd you easily mistake for just having his 14th or 15th birthday . One can just google any images about him and see the same. If his face is anyway aligned to his overall physique, he should gain quite a decent amount of more height and frame in the future where he has an actual beard to shave, ha. I'd be delighted to hear if someone knew anything about his height grow. Has it stagnated or did he grow any inches last summer? Any siblings to compare to?

MarVell

Jan 10, 2014
Missed the very first minutes of the game (and of course Kupari happens to score on the first shift). His movement on the ice is exciting to watch. Also Rasmus seemed to get plenty of ice time, while sadly no power play minutes, but then again didn't expect that either. Some good plays and a few turnovers, pretty decent overall impression. Was my second real viewing of Kupari at FEL (in the other game he barely skated) so hard to pass much judgement otherwise. I've heard a lot of praises about Rasmus' ability to shoot the puck. The combination of speed, hands, shooting and possibly size (he looks like the opposite of a grown up man) is quite enticing. Not to mention his natural position being C. Not that it makes any difference of how great of a player can become but more about the need. The Finnish roster should already be loaded on the wings looking long term. That said, need more coverage to get a better impression of his hockey IQ.

What strikes me the most about this kid is actually his appearance. He literally looks like a teenager or a young boy. I can't remember any other 17 year old top Finnish prospect who'd you easily mistake for just having his 14th or 15th birthday . One can just google any images about him and see the same. If his face is anyway aligned to his overall physique, he should gain quite a decent amount of more height and frame in the future where he has an actual beard to shave, ha. I'd be delighted to hear if someone knew anything about his height grow. Has it stagnated or did he grow any inches last summer? Any siblings to compare to?

Lehkonen and Teräväinen ;)

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Getting better and better each game. Made a really good screen on Kärpät's first goal and has had some strong shifts with the puck.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Kind of reminds me of Kapanen with a better shot and less of a perimeter player at the same age. Regarding his hockey IQ, apart from him trusting his skating just a little too much at times, you can see there isn't that same kind of awkwardness in his game as there is when you watch "dumb" players.

Wish he was given some PP time though. He barely played in the 3rd period because of all the penalties.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
What's up recently with all these promising young Finnish players who all seem to lack hockey IQ.

A fault in the player development system most likely, I have the impression that in Finland creative thinking is not really a thing in sports (in soccer you can observe the same). Players can visualize a game plan, but struggle thinking out of the box. So their game often just lacks a dimension.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
A fault in the player development system most likely, I have the impression that in Finland creative thinking is not really a thing in sports (in soccer you can observe the same). Players can visualize a game plan, but struggle thinking out of the box. So their game often just lacks a dimension.
I think Hokinaittii was kidding, but in fact, Finland has transitioned away from being just a simple-minded grinder factory during the last few years. The situation you describe actually fits perfectly the era of Finnish prospects before Granlund. Nowadays we have skilled players who utilise their creativity and have become true game breakers, such as Barkov, Laine, Aho and Ristolainen. Of course, there are still less skilled and less creative players, but the general system doesn't attempt to fit everyone into that grinder mould anymore.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I think he has an underrated shot, mostly because he uses it so rarely. But he can really fire it.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Apparently he played a U20 game this Sunday. Anyone know if he got sent down from the main club or was this just a stint in the minors since Kärpät isn't playing until Wednesday?

His goal from Sunday.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Apparently he played a U20 game this Sunday. Anyone know if he got sent down from the main club or was this just a stint in the minors since Kärpät isn't playing until Wednesday?

His goal from Sunday.

He is still on the lineup. Now back with Humaloja and Sailio.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
He is still on the lineup. Now back with Humaloja and Sailio.

Kärpät has Kupari in the lineup tonight's game and HIFK has Nordgren.
If you go tonight's Kärpät vs HIFK game could you please keep eye on Nordgren too he plays HIFK's 2nd line with Malinen and Haataja.

The Queen of the Sea

Sep 21, 2017
Vårdö
Kupari with Sailio and Humaloja should be fun to watch! Both of those guys are top agitators in FEL and pretty good players even offensively, although they usually play more of a shutdown-type role. Maybe Rasmus learns a thing or two about how to be a real pain in the ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad