C Quinton Byfield (2020, 2nd, LAK) part IV

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't disagree with your overall point but I take issue with some of the premises

Byfield is carrying Kopitar around in his backpack right now, if he was to take faceoffs instead of line up at the circle there wouldn't be much difference. He's the one doing all the heavy defensive lifting at both ends. Don't shortchange him here.

Also, the 'total points' argument is what people have been saying Kopitar's whole career, too, there's a lot that Byfield brings that isn't captured well--yes he needs to enter a higher production territory but also in a year in which he started slow and started growing 'total points' would be a dishonest argument altogether if I didn't know you better.

Much like Kopitar though I can see an argument for taking Byfield over Hughes and others eventually if not right now--when the guy has an 'off night' he's still bringing a lot of forechecking and defense, his 'b' game is a high floor, non liability, keeping pressure down the ice. While i don't think it's really worth going down the roster of under 23 players and splitting hairs since it's going to be as much about preference/style as it is about qualifications, I don't think people are out to lunch to suggest the player 'type' QB is turning out to be is the kind they would prefer (although again as I agree with your conclusion--he's not quite there yet).
Look, he's on your team, not trying to insult him. From a neutral spot, that is who I'm gambling on, especially when it comes to Bedard. I think Byfield's game more excels on the wing, he's fast and has a ridiculous reach. Having a center like Kopitar who may be past his best before date does allow you to play more freely. Even when I was down on Byfield, I thought he was an elite Blake Wheeler. That's still a helluva player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Look, he's on your team, not trying to insult him. From a neutral spot, that is who I'm gambling on, especially when it comes to Bedard. I think Byfield's game more excels on the wing, he's fast and has a ridiculous reach. Having a center like Kopitar who may be past his best before date does allow you to play more freely. Even when I was down on Byfield, I thought he was an elite Blake Wheeler. That's still a helluva player.

Oh I'm not trying to argue and didn't even take it as an insult, just providing some color. Probably was a little more argumentative than I intended upon second glance.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
To all the Kings / Byfield fans :

Do you think Byfield is too YOUNG to play for Team Canada (Best on Best) in 2025 / 2026?

Is he mistake prone? Does he do stupid things during important moments? Could he keep up? Will he have progressed enough in 1 or 2 years?

These are sincere questions : Please take off your "fan" glasses and provide as objective an answer as possible. Pretty please.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
He plays a very mature game
Thanks!

It's amazing how far he has come, and how far opinions of him have come, considering a year or so back, some people were saying he was a "bust". Now people are saying he needs to be on Team Canada for the next decade plus.

As a Canadian, that makes me happy.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad