C Quinton Byfield (2020, 2nd, LAK) part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I do not know how people can say as a legit criticism that he was 'soft on the puck' at the WJC.

And the stats show he was consistently amongst canada's leaders on controlled zone exits and he rarely failed a zone entry, was mostly amongst the leaders there too except for the fair criticism that he dumped the puck a LOT (which seems like a coaching /request decision because it was not only excessive, it's typically not part of his game).

That guys' timeline has each game if you want to see it but that's a pretty typical statline and those are strong for a guy given limited minutes.

And again he was amongst Canada's best play drivers in the gold medal game despite his shit deployment, and one of the best in the tourney on faceoffs.

Some of these critiques make me feel like I'm watching a different game than others, especially when the stats also show such a stout performance from every aspect but raw point production. Yes, I know stats aren't everything and I'll be the first to criticize box score watching but all of that jives with what I saw. Dude embraced his role and played it emphatically well from that standpoint--it's just not what people expected (also fair). I'll even grant an uneven effort, especially since he looked gassed at times, and the criticism about giveaways/dumping the puck, because he was throwing it forward quickly a lot. But everything on his side of the puck was amongst Canada's best, backed up by damn near every stat.

You dont want a third/fourth line checker at 2nd overall...

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You dont want a third/fourth line checker at 2nd overall...

I was responding to the posts about him not being stout defensively at the WJC...

Edit: wow you literally have nearly 100 posts across the Byfield threads almost solely complaining about his international record and largely ignoring anything else he does. I guess this probably isn't a discussion worth having. Knew the name looked familiar.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I was responding to the posts about him not being stout defensively at the WJC...

Edit: wow you literally have nearly 100 posts across the Byfield threads almost solely complaining about his international record and largely ignoring anything else he does. I guess this probably isn't a discussion worth having. Knew the name looked familiar.
In response to saying his very poor international record isnt a concern, which it very clearly is. Or that he was better than Lafreniere which was hilarious to hear.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Or when they play teams with good players ;) It's amazing how little people can take any kind of critism of their players.

It's also amazing how people can't handle their conclusions being challenged or disagreed with.

I've listened to plenty criticism of Byfield and offered plenty of my own. I just find yours lazy.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
It's also amazing how people can't handle their conclusions being challenged or disagreed with.

I've listened to plenty criticism of Byfield and offered plenty of my own. I just find yours lazy.
Its not lazy, if 5 different events of him performing worse than expected isn't a concern for you then I don't know what to say. He simply doesn't do well when competition is ramped up which lines up well with the concerns he has had with his decision making and hockey IQ.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Or when they play teams with good players ;) It's amazing how little people can take any kind of critism of their players.
I think Kings fans are able to handle criticism, but you're in here quite often going on and on about how Byfield is a bust when he hasn't played a single game at the NHL level. Give him a shot or make your point and move on.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
I think Kings fans are able to handle criticism, but you're in here quite often going on and on about how Byfield is a bust when he hasn't played a single game at the NHL level. Give him a shot or make your point and move on.

That’s not how this works, you bash a player down before he steps foot on nhl ice. And then offer a late round pick for him on the trade boards = profit.

Reactions: Rob Brown

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
No, it's a fair criticism.

Making the same post 100 times, though, without considering alternative views, and while largely ignoring what he's done elsewhere, isn't criticsm, it's myopic.
Ive stated many times it doesnt make him a bust and he was the third or second best prospect in this draft. Any "bringing him down" was in response to certain posters who said he was better than Lafreniere, which was pure lunacy.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Show one single post where I say he's a bust. Ill wait.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
In response to saying his very poor international record isnt a concern, which it very clearly is. Or that he was better than Lafreniere which was hilarious to hear.
International play doesnt mean anything. there has been plenty of players that have been incredible in the WJC didnt mount to anything in the NHL and plenty of players who didn't preform well in WJC but went on to have amazing NHL careers.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
International play doesnt mean anything. there has been plenty of players that have been incredible in the WJC didnt mount to anything in the NHL and plenty of players who didn't preform well in WJC but went on to have amazing NHL careers.
For the about 100th time. Its not just one WJC... It's every single time he plays against better competition. That is NOT normal for such a highly viewed prospect and is absolutely a concern. Can you explain why he's never one of the best players on his team when hes expected to be?

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
For the about 100th time. Its not just one WJC... It's every single time he plays against better competition. That is NOT normal for such a highly viewed prospect and is absolutely a concern. Can you explain why he's never one of the best players on his team when hes expected to be?

What do you mean by best player, what are your critieria for being the best player?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

He was a point-per-game in the OHL playoffs as a 16 year-old.

And he got better during the tournament, eventually looking like one of the better players in the gold medal game (Cozens was easily the best forward, but then I'd say Byfield was behind him). He just didn't put up the points.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Okay one or all what Im saying is. WJC success doesnt mean much in terms of players having good or bad NHL careers. there has been plenty of players in the past that have not preformed well in the WJC but were busts and then ones that stunk but went on to have great careers.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Tuned to the game last night to see Byfield. Is he going to get any games with the Kings, or has he been sent down, like Zegras and some other young guys?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Okay one or all what Im saying is. WJC success doesnt mean much in terms of players having good or bad NHL careers. there has been plenty of players in the past that have not preformed well in the WJC but were busts and then ones that stunk but went on to have great careers.
Yes, but pretending it isn't a concern that Byfield can't elevate his game when the competition is better screams homerism. Especially when IQ and decision making are two of his biggest knocks and that becomes even more important when the play gets harder. More often than not the best players at the WJC end up very good hockey players. Especially if they play after being drafted.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
What do you mean by best player, what are your critieria for being the best player?
Hes been rated as one of the best players among his peers but has not once been close to being one of the best players when playing against the best of his peers

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Tuned to the game last night to see Byfield. Is he going to get any games with the Kings, or has he been sent down, like Zegras and some other young guys?

He's getting time in the AHL first.

Since he can only play in the AHL for as long as there's no OHL announcement, this gives him a rare opportunity to get the best possible path to development (playing at a higher level and getting more minutes).

Kaliyev is there, too.

They still plan to get him a few NHL games.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Yes, but pretending it isn't a concern that Byfield can't elevate his game when the competition is better screams homerism. Especially when IQ and decision making are two of his biggest knocks and that becomes even more important when the play gets harder. More often than not the best players at the WJC end up very good hockey players. Especially if they play after being drafted.
Im a leafs fan lol. I dont find it concerning, not yet, I still believe he will be a very good NHLer. I dont think he did that bad at the WJC given his position and the depeth of the team andhis age. I found it pretty impressive he was even able to make the WJC as a kid who just turned 17 last year.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He was a point-per-game in the OHL playoffs as a 16 year-old.

And he got better during the tournament, eventually looking like one of the better players in the gold medal game (Cozens was easily the best forward, but then I'd say Byfield was behind him). He just didn't put up the points.
You're not going to find anyone else who thought he was the second best forward on the team except some major homers...

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
You're not going to find anyone else who thought he was the second best forward on the team except some major homers...

Okay, so you're at the point of calling people "major homers" after ignoring the points presented that a) he got better b) he has done well in higher competition (OHL playoffs) and c) he was the second best forward on the team in the gold medal game, not as an aggregate.

So you have shown you are not here to discuss. Just antagonize and argue. So have fun trolling everyone else. I'm done with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad