C Olivers Murnieks - HK Mogo, Latvia (2026 Draft)

JohnWillow

May 27, 2015

5th youngest player to score a goal in the Top Division of U-18 Worlds.

Mikkel Bodker in 2005.
Tavares in 2006.
Niederreiter in 2008.
Samuel Knazko 2018.

Pretty nice company.

Reactions: Kalv and Svedu

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Anyone know where he will play next season so we can see exactly how he compares to kids on his skill level.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Anyone know where he will play next season so we can see exactly how he compares to kids on his skill level.
I don't know, but I've heard some rumors about the US. No idea if that is true or not. It is possible the U18 WJC changes things, but in any case I don't think he's staying in Latvia

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah, too many people seem to be getting their panties in a twist for no reason. This was his breakout season (if you want to call it that), obviously he is going to leave somewhere for the next year, that's just the way Latvian hockey functions not to mention his brother spent 4 years playing in the US. And up until this point, Latvian hockey infrastructure served him fine.

Multiple people screaming how he "needs to get out" make it sound like he has to plan some prison break.

Vikz

Dec 26, 2021
So, what are his options? Is he old enough for the CHL import draft this summer? USHL contract? Maybe Sweden with a potential allswenskan debut next year?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So, what are his options? Is he old enough for the CHL import draft this summer? USHL contract? Maybe Sweden with a potential allswenskan debut next year?
He is since he turns 16 this year. All the options you listed are viable, it's his choice from this point, really. I think Sweden would be the most sensible one but obviously a lot of variables at play here.

CHL route is of no benefit to someone who probably feels he will get drafted in the top-10 if not higher, almost certainly the worst of the 3.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
He is since he turns 16 this year. All the options you listed are viable, it's his choice from this point, really. I think Sweden would be the most sensible one but obviously a lot of variables at play here.

CHL route is of no benefit to someone who probably feels he will get drafted in the top-10 if not higher, almost certainly the worst of the 3.
CHL isn’t an option until next season, anyway.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
CHL isn’t an option until next season, anyway.
How come? From the eligibility rules: "Top level players will develop through the various age groups of hockey and in the year of their 16th birthday, become eligible to play in the Canadian Hockey League".

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I agree completely about CHL in terms of player development.

USHL -> NCAA seems to be the most popular option for Latvian prospects as of late, correct.

In terms of immediate player development, J20/Allsvenskan/SHL would be the most efficient path. High risk/high reward.

Parents usually prefer the US option because they're hedging their bets. If their kid doesn't end up being a pro, they can at least get a university degree in NCAA. And there's no language barrier.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
How come? From the eligibility rules: "Top level players will develop through the various age groups of hockey and in the year of their 16th birthday, become eligible to play in the Canadian Hockey League".
it’s just how the draft works, if you look at last years draft in 2023 no 2007 born players were drafted, the year before in 2022 no 2006 born players were drafted. This year, in 2024 no 2008 borns will be drafted. That’ll be next season.

Reactions: hellwar9

Vikz

Dec 26, 2021
USHL -> NCAA seems to be the most popular option for Latvian prospects as of late, correct.

In terms of immediate player development, J20/Allsvenskan/SHL would be the most efficient path. High risk/high reward.

Parents usually prefer the US option because they're hedging their bets. If their kid doesn't end up being a pro, they can at least get a university degree in NCAA. And there's no language barrier.
In terms of USHL - NCAA, quantity does not equal quality, though. With all respect to all the Veinbergs and Lavins etc. And I really like Lavins, he might be something of a Kenins 2.0. one day, but in a previously always lacking centre role. But we havent had a real good prospect on the USHL - NCAA path yet. And with Murnieks the option of "doesnt end up being a pro" is off the tables.

Sweden, on the other hand, has been beneficial to our prospects. Starting with Locmelis and Vilmanis, on the way are Uljanskis, Osmanis, Flugins. And its not just the Swedish-Latvian connection. Potential stars from smaller EU nations like Dvorsky, Kasper, Bicshel all were top 10-15 picks after playing in Sweden.

And I dont consider Sweden a high risk path. For me its the opposite. If Murnieks is able to choose a good organisation with teams in top leagues in every age group, the ability to move between them easily is a big plus. Too good for the team you are on? There are pro teams you can get promoted to in Allsvenskan or SHL. Not good enough for the current team? Go a level down and be the main guy there instead of warming the bench. No drafts, age restrictions or complicated trades in case something doesnt click. Pick a team and play on the level that suits you.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
In terms of USHL - NCAA, quantity does not equal quality, though. With all respect to all the Veinbergs and Lavins etc. And I really like Lavins, he might be something of a Kenins 2.0. one day, but in a previously always lacking centre role. But we havent had a real good prospect on the USHL - NCAA path yet. And with Murnieks the option of "doesnt end up being a pro" is off the tables.

Sweden, on the other hand, has been beneficial to our prospects. Starting with Locmelis and Vilmanis, on the way are Uljanskis, Osmanis, Flugins. And its not just the Swedish-Latvian connection. Potential stars from smaller EU nations like Dvorsky, Kasper, Bicshel all were top 10-15 picks after playing in Sweden.

And I dont consider Sweden a high risk path. For me its the opposite. If Murnieks is able to choose a good organisation with teams in top leagues in every age group, the ability to move between them easily is a big plus. Too good for the team you are on? There are pro teams you can get promoted to in Allsvenskan or SHL. Not good enough for the current team? Go a level down and be the main guy there instead of warming the bench. No drafts, age restrictions or complicated trades in case something doesnt click. Pick a team and play on the level that suits you.
You're thinking like his agent, I'm talking about the entire picture. He's 15, his parents are making the final call here.

I agree about the hockey part. In fact, that's exactly what I said earlier.

It is entirely within the realm of possibility for him not to become a major pro player. His current rate of production currently is not at that level yet. We are all making the assumption of continued progress.

If he stalls for some freak reason, he might not make it. Which is where the hedging comes in.

You don't get an education by moving to Sweden for a couple of years. You get a long distance high school degree.

Reactions: LeProspector

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
That's the midget rules. For imports, they have to be in the year of their 17th birthday.

The CHL drafts 16 year-olds from midget so teams routinely attempt to go big on their import draft the year after a big midget draft.

Reactions: SoundAndFury

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad