RW Oliver Wahlstrom - Boston College, NCAA (2018, 11th, NYI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
He was a guy I was watching at U17 World Challenge - he was completely invisible. Prior to the start of the U17/NTDP season a couple of people told me he'd 'make people forget about Wise'. I get the sample size is small...but still...

So you're saying so far he is a disappointment?

I haven't seen him play in person but he has been hyped for a while. Judging by his stats he seems like a shoot first type of player, but he is scoring. Highest on team 33 SOG and tied for 2nd with 6 goals, but only 1 assist.

How is his 200' game?

Last edited:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
So you're saying so far he is a disappointment?

I haven't seen him play in person but he has been hyped for a while. Judging by his stats he seems like a shoot first type of player, but he is scoring. Highest on team 33 SOG and tied for 2nd with 6 goals, but only 1 assist.

How is his 200' game?

I was just referring to the tournament.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
To be completely fair, he had two empty net tap-ins. He hasn't looked very good when I've watched him play, but I hope he proves me wrong.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
U.S. National Under-18 Team forward, Oliver Wahlstrom (Quincy, Mass.) was named USHL Forward of the Week the League announced today.
Wahlstrom recorded a natural hat trick in the U18s 7-0 win at Muskegon on Saturday.
He scored twice to close out the first period, and after a scoreless second period, added his third at 3:12 of the final frame. His first goal of the game came on the power play.
Wahlstrom leads the U18 team with nine goals in eight games played.

http://www.usahockeyntdp.com/news_article/show/845052?referrer_id=

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Listened to an interview the other day from the USDP coach, where he talked about how hard working Wahlstrom is, and how he is usually the last guy off the ice at practice.

A guy who is as skilled as Wahlstrom + a hard worker... gimme that.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Reminds me a lot of Mika Zibanejad.

Shot, goal scoring, skating, size, puck skills combo is so similar from the center ice position as a right shot. Also similar that neither likes to pass, has the highest hockey IQ, and there are defensive questions.

Some of my comparisons are off, but I think this one is near perfect.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arellitti

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Is there more risk in drafting a Harvard commit than other US colleges .. say like BU or BC. Getting that Harvard degree is pretty prestigious and if it takes 4 years, they can be FA after that.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Is there more risk in drafting a Harvard commit than other US colleges .. say like BU or BC. Getting that Harvard degree is pretty prestigious and if it takes 4 years, they can be FA after that.

Not sure it makes a difference for a guy ranked top 10-15. Mid rounders usually take longer to "earn" a contract. Plus I'd imagine you have flexibility to do online classes, and you could work on it and graduate later on like several players have done.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Has he been playing wing or center this season? I haven't been able to follow him much this season but the times I saw game rosters he was listed as wing. Wing seems to fit his game a bit better no?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
He's one of my favourite draft eligible prospects.

I remember when Weiss, Wahlstrom and Wilde (the three W's) were all getting hype at the same time.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Has he been playing wing or center this season? I haven't been able to follow him much this season but the times I saw game rosters he was listed as wing. Wing seems to fit his game a bit better no?

I believe he’s been playing wing, which is a shame because he’s be a much more interesting prospect if he were a center. This draft is just garbage for centers.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He tends to play on the wing with Farabee on the other wing. His game long-term looks like that of a scoring winger. He has the size of an NHL center, but I don't see him shifting back. Last game I watched, I'm pretty sure they used Gruden as his center, but its been a bit of a rotating cast with even Jay O'Brien getting time there as an invite.

Wahlstrom should have all the tools to be a high-end scorer at the NHL level, I just wished he had the compete of Farabee and tried to impose his will on games more. Ridiculously talented, and a clear top 10 pick. I'm not saying his effort is bad, because it isn't, but I do feel there are times he leaves you wanting more. I do think if he imposed his will on games more, and had a more consistent effort on both ends of the rink, he'd be a top 5 pick and possibly projected as a center.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up next year. I've heard rumors he isn't on track to graduate on time to go to Harvard from two completely different people (If you look earlier in this thread, he was an old Freshman at Schauttuk and I don't think he's fast tracked. My guess is either a year at QMJHL powerhouse or is the first USNTDP kid to jump straight to the AHL or NHL to the best of my knowledge.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
If it’s true and he can’t get to Harvard next year what a decision the kid faces... I don’t think he’d be ready to make the jump to the NHL and I’m reluctant to put a kid that’s 18 in the AHL... I think it’d be best for his development to report to the QMJHL. Not necessarily to Cape Breton because they’re in rebuild mode but in a year where the Q will host the Mem Cup, I’m sure a lot of really good teams would want to acquire this kid. Halifax would have the assets to do it as a potential host/team that will be in contention and with the development program they have there, as well as the players who’d be around him, I think it’d be really good for his development.

Now this is all a moot point if he is indeed able to attend Harvard/College somewhere. I don’t see a benefit one way or the other for him as he’s so extremely talented.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If it’s true and he can’t get to Harvard next year what a decision the kid faces... I don’t think he’d be ready to make the jump to the NHL and I’m reluctant to put a kid that’s 18 in the AHL... I think it’d be best for his development to report to the QMJHL. Not necessarily to Cape Breton because they’re in rebuild mode but in a year where the Q will host the Mem Cup, I’m sure a lot of really good teams would want to acquire this kid. Halifax would have the assets to do it as a potential host/team that will be in contention and with the development program they have there, as well as the players who’d be around him, I think it’d be really good for his development.

Now this is all a moot point if he is indeed able to attend Harvard/College somewhere. I don’t see a benefit one way or the other for him as he’s so extremely talented.
These kids tend to end up in Halifax, Saint Johns or Quebec City, those are probably the usual candidates. Although he has pro-size, USNTDP is a big jump. The only real comparison is Girgenson's going from USHL to AHL. He could also go to Europe like Tolvanen.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
These kids tend to end up in Halifax, Saint Johns or Quebec City, those are probably the usual candidates. Although he has pro-size, USNTDP is a big jump. The only real comparison is Girgenson's going from USHL to AHL. He could also go to Europe like Tolvanen.

He won’t end in Saint John I can’t imagine. They’re in such a rebuild mode that I can’t see it interesting Wahlstrom to go there. Quebec will be on the rise but Halifax is the cream of the crop next year. They’ve been the best team at developing players over the last 5 years by far and should host the Mem Cup. They’ll more than have the assets to go out and get a player like him. I’d say just based on their cycle, what they can give up and based on what I think the best spot to develop for Wahlstrom would be, that Halifax, Quebec, Moncton and then Saint John would be the best places for him to end up in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad