RW Oliver Wahlstrom - Boston College, NCAA (2018, 11th, NYI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Could this kid be the first freshman to play Prep? He's tearing it up. Crosby was a sophomore despite being aged as an American ninth grader.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I think the IIHF has to revisit their eligibility rules regarding children born to foreign players playing in North America.

If they're legitimately dual citizens they should be allowed to play for either country.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I think the IIHF has to revisit their eligibility rules regarding children born to foreign players playing in North America.

If they're legitimately dual citizens they should be allowed to play for either country.

So a player born to Swedish parents and raised in New York because his dad was playing pro hockey would be eligible for either country but a player born to Swedish parents and raised in New York because his parents work for a bank that relocated them there wouldn't be eligible for either country?

I'm not huge fan of the 2 years in the country after 10 rule but it's better than 2 years in the country after 12. I'd rather it be that if you played any amount of junior hockey in the country and you have citizenship, you can pick.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
So a player born to Swedish parents and raised in New York because his dad was playing pro hockey would be eligible for either country but a player born to Swedish parents and raised in New York because his parents work for a bank that relocated them there wouldn't be eligible for either country?

I'm not huge fan of the 2 years in the country after 10 rule but it's better than 2 years in the country after 12. I'd rather it be that if you played any amount of junior hockey in the country and you have citizenship, you can pick.

Well, we are on a hockey forum. I actually meant, daughters or sons born to foreigners that have citizenship of their parents country or countries, should be eligible to play for any country they have citizenship with.

As long as you have recognized citizenship, why should you be denied the right to play for that country.

That would include any Canadian playing for a US team that has taken US citizenship.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Well, we are on a hockey forum. I actually meant, daughters or sons born to foreigners that have citizenship of their parents country or countries, should be eligible to play for any country they have citizenship with.

As long as you have recognized citizenship, why should you be denied the right to play for that country.

That would include any Canadian playing for a US team that has taken US citizenship.

The IIHF is trying to reward the hockey system that "developed" the player, even if that's an oversimplification. It's also an attempt to add some consistency to the varied citizenship practices of its member countries. Every system has holes though.

Wahlstrom's mom is American. He doesn't speak Swedish. He's lived his entire life in the US and developed as a hockey player here. His dad is an American citizen that has lived in the US longer than he lived in Sweden. I can see why the IIHF would rather a player like that play for Team USA.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
The IIHF is trying to reward the hockey system that "developed" the player, even if that's an oversimplification. It's also an attempt to add some consistency to the varied citizenship practices of its member countries. Every system has holes though.

Wahlstrom's mom is American. He doesn't speak Swedish. He's lived his entire life in the US and developed as a hockey player here. His dad is an American citizen that has lived in the US longer than he lived in Sweden. I can see why the IIHF would rather a player like that play for Team USA.

I understand what you're saying but still think a person should have the right to play for a country they are a citizen of.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I understand what you're saying but still think a person should have the right to play for a country they are a citizen of.

So a bunch of sons of Italian immigrants in Canada go and represent Italy in a U20 tournament and all the Italian kids that actually grew up playing hockey in Italy sit at home and cheer them on?

Senior world championships do that quite often and it's the lamest thing about the tournament every year (See "Croatian" D-men Alan Letang, Geoff Waugh, and Kenny MacAulay)

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
So a bunch of sons of Italian immigrants in Canada go and represent Italy in a U20 tournament and all the Italian kids that actually grew up playing hockey in Italy sit at home and cheer them on?

Senior world championships do that quite often and it's the lamest thing about the tournament every year (See "Croatian" D-men Alan Letang, Geoff Waugh, and Kenny MacAulay)

Yes Sir.
If they are citizens, why not.

Don't get me wrong. I understand the argument against it. I just don't agree with it.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Yes Sir.
If they are citizens, why not.

Don't get me wrong. I understand the argument against it. I just don't agree with it.

You asked why not and then said you understand the argument against :laugh:

It would get very shady very fast without restrictions.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
You asked why not and then said you understand the argument against :laugh:

It would get very shady very fast without restrictions.

Not sure why that's funny. I'm sure you understand why people have difference of opinions but you may not agree with their position.

There are some that think you must be born in a country to represent them, regardless how long they lived there.

Anyways, been over this far too long. Happy Holidays.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I got to see a bit of his play at nationals and his skill really stuck out there. There were things he needs to work on but there's a lot of potential.

He's actually playing on the Swedish team at one of the selects tournaments this week I believe. He's played on these Swedish teams in these tournaments before but it's still a bit strange considering a bunch of his S-SM team mates are there, playing on other teams. His father seemed to really be in favor of him playing for Sweden some day so perhaps this decommitment is a precursor to a move overseas?

Then again, it was always very hard to see a high end player heading to Maine given where that program is nowadays and Wahlstrom himself seems to be very close to some BC and BU recruits. He seems like a good bet for the prep team if he returns to S-SM and would almost certainly have a spot with the NTDP the year after if he wanted it. I'll be very interested to see if he ends up playing at the Select 15 camp later this month.

Edit: Just saw in an article that he will be attending the Select 15 camp. That's a positive sign for us US hockey fans. I felt the same way when Chychrun and Logan Brown attended the same camp a few years back though so who knows how things will play out in the coming years.

Last edited:

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I'll admit I haven't watched Wahlstrom play live, but know people I trust who have and have read a lot about him, as well as some highlights here and there. I don't like player comparisons but just for fun he reminds me a ton of Tyler Seguin when he was that age. Great feet and hands, good shot with a quick and deceptive release. Looks to be similar size as well. He could very well be further ahead or not but just reminds me of him.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Wahlstrom is the first freshman I can think of to make Shattuck Prep, maybe ever? Crosby made it as a young sophomore.

USHOCKEYUS

Sep 16, 2014

He's a freshman but he is a 2000. Last season three 99's played prep so it isn't out of the ordinary for the top players to make the prep team at his age. Freshman/Sophomore doesn't matter, birth year does and word is he may be working towards accelerating (catching up) and becoming a junior next year wherever he goes to high school. I'd guess he goes to Pioneer high school next season as an 11th grader.

Last edited:

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Freshman/Sophomore doesn't matter, birth year does
To scouts/NHL/NTDP, ya. To the kids at the school, he is a freshman that made Prep and that will be talked about for a long time.

The two incorrect spellings are most likely tied to each other, so one update will fix both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad