C Nico Hischier - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2017, 1st, NJD) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
He should've gotten an assist on Lovejoy's goal but for some reason, the goal was unassisted

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
nico is good at everything and only going to get better.

most of the predictions in this thread are already laughable. seriously, cant believe hea getting better and is absolutely owning 5on5 play. he is going to be one hell of a player. sky is the limit.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Him and Nolan have really been turning it on lately. More so Hischier though.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
his shot is so underrated (sense the theme?)

great release point and deadly accurate. only critique is he doesnt use it as much.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Devils fans must be thrilled. Will be a great #1C for them for many years. Their own Bergeron.

I would not get too hyped about the production though, will likely top as a PPG player, but there is much more to his game than points.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Devils fans must be thrilled. Will be a great #1C for them for many years. Their own Bergeron.

I would not get too hyped about the production though, will likely top as a PPG player, but there is much more to his game than points.
Agreed, such a complete game. His goal tonight was a beauty. Off the skate, locate the puck, and just rifle it past Ward.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
He may not win rookie or the year but he's the rookie with the potential going forward. Every rookie who's ahead of him in the Calder has two years of development on him. He'll surpass Boesser and Barzal no doubt, in my opinion. His two way game is way too elite and will only get better. He's got Bergeron with more skill written all over him. They value he's gonna bring to the Devils with his skill and intangibles is inmeasuable. Future selke winner of with 75-80 point seasons in the future are the type of players teams want to build around.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
He may not win rookie or the year but he's the rookie with the potential going forward. Every rookie who's ahead of him in the Calder has two years of development on him. He'll surpass Boesser and Barzal no doubt, in my opinion. His two way game is way too elite and will only get better. He's got Bergeron with more skill written all over him. They value he's gonna bring to the Devils with his skill and intangibles is inmeasuable. Future selke winner of with 75-80 point seasons in the future are the type of players teams want to build around.

Well I don't want to get too giddy over Hischier, and Boeser and Barzal are both very special players. What's great about Hischier is just how good his defensive game is already. He still has to get a bit stronger. But also as his rookie season begins to wind down he's not fading but rather getting better and better.

We should expect a solid 60-70 points from him next year.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Well I don't want to get too giddy over Hischier, and Boeser and Barzal are both very special players. What's great about Hischier is just how good his defensive game is already. He still has to get a bit stronger. But also as his rookie season begins to wind down he's not fading but rather getting better and better.

This part reminds me of Parise's rookie year, though he wasn't nearly as strong early as Nico was.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
This part reminds me of Parise's rookie year, though he wasn't nearly as strong early as Nico was.

Parise for long (very long) stretches was absolutely invisible and didn't show many signs of the player that was to come. Finally with about 10 games to go things started to click for him and it was a beautiful thing.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004

I'm willing to get giddy over Hischier, I've never seen such a well rounded player at the age of 18. He's two development years behind both Brock and Barzal. Him being a center is also an advantage over Boesser even if he'll never be the goal scorer Brock is but Nico should have the point advantage. As for Barzal I believe he should have the slight advantage in points over Barzal throughout his career but he'll never have the two way game and intangibles. Nico is a future selke winner if there's ever been one and amazing hockey sense that will enable him to consistently improve offensively.

Also, when it come to this season Nico has almost none of his points of the PP. They all come at even strength which I think even shows more of his untapped offensive potential that we haven't even seen.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I'm willing to get giddy over Hischier, I've never seen such a well rounded player at the age of 18. He's two development years behind both Brock and Barzal. Him being a center is also an advantage over Boesser even if he'll never be the goal scorer Brock is but Nico should have the point advantage. As for Barzal I believe he should have the slight advantage in points over Barzal throughout his career but he'll never have the two way game and intangibles. Nico is a future selke winner if there's ever been one and amazing hockey sense that will enable him to consistently improve offensively.

Also, when it come to this season Nico has almost none of his points of the PP. They all come at even strength which I think even shows more of his untapped offensive potential that we haven't even seen.

I won't disagree, it's just my superstitious nature. Don't want to anoint him just yet but we're all very excited about what the future holds for him.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017

Thats honestly comforting because there are a lot of "Will likely" in this thread.

Will likely be the #2 draft pick...

Will likely be in the AHL next year...

Will likely be the most disappointing 1OA in recent years...

I would just hold off on determining what type of player Nico will be until he is done maturing/developing. He has all the skills and attributes to have seasons above a PPG. Especially if his 5on5 ES scoring is any indicator. If he was starting on a good PP unit, he'd already be a PPG player.

Reactions: My3Sons

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Love seeing rookies pick up the pace in the 2nd half of the year... People always kinda expect them to sorta tail off in the last half but Nico is looking unreal

Reactions: MakoSlade

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
Saw him live against carolina. The guys is legit. From what I saw he has an excellent shot, he can skate, he's responsible in his own end, and he can really steal pucks well. He looked like Matthews a couple times out there with his ability to steal pucks off guys. He looked to me like a guy who is going to be a solid #1 centre for this team.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Long given up trying to guess what Nico will likely do. He makes a habit out of squashing previous expectations.

That's what I love best. We all said coming into the season 40+ is something we'd take an run with. Already is at that point. Plus he's done it with only 5 points on the PP all season and just one goal which was scored last night. We knew his two way game was above average for an 18 year old, but it looks above average for a veteran top 6 centerman. His shot and goal scoring was looking like it might be the slower to come around then he scores 4 goals in 4 straight games and how he scored them mattered. Idk what to think of his potential at this points, but at this point I believe he wasn't sub par 1st overall pick. Of course he's not Mcdavid or Matthews but he's the real deal.

He's 6'1" 175 and once he gets up to 195-200 lbs. his defense will get better, his board work downlow in the offense zone, his ability to strip and muscle players off pucks, as well as his ability to hold onto pucks, his shot will get much harder and most definitely his face-offs will improve. His hockey sense is unreal so when his technical skill and strength catch up he's gonna be an elite center man in the league for 10-12 years. Top 5 in the league potential.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Maybe I've been kicked in the balls too many times as a Devils fan in the last 5 years, but I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop with this guy. It's just not...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad