Prospect Info: C Nathan Smith (2018 3rd, 91st overall)

Do you like this pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Seems like we could have left him on the board for a couple rounds and still gotten him. Happy to have him in our prospect pool though

Reactions: AlaskaJet

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You don't draft players @ 91 that check all the boxes. I think that being a late bloomer isn't such a black mark. He didn't start skating until age 11, and only transitioned to a top league last season. Sounds like his development trajectory has been good.

Reactions: kellhunter

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Great pick. I watched him all year in Cedar Rapids. He was a relatively unknown up until last year. He put up huge numbers in Florida high school hockey, made the Cedar Rapids Roughriders as a Free Agent, and proceeded to lead the Riders in points. Big time compete level and work ethic. He is coming back to Cedar Rapids this year and will have a strong year. Great job by Dan Shrader and Max Giese to identify Nathan

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
The guy is like 2 or 3 years away from playing in the NHL why ask the question if I like the pick?
Chevy and his staff have proven themselves they know what they are doing. I don't want to hear from a fan its a great pick or a terrible pick.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Seems like we could have left him on the board for a couple rounds and still gotten him. Happy to have him in our prospect pool though
obviously you don't know that to be true but why would any team leave a player on the board they had rated where they picked him or higher.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
why does the jets site not have an interview from this guy but has interviews from the 4th and 2 5th picks.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
why does the jets site not have an interview from this guy but has interviews from the 4th and 2 5th picks.

He probably wasn't physically at the draft. A number of players who are draft eligible don't show up if they don't have a strong sense of if they are going to be picked or not.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Had no 4th round pick and as mentioned he was not at the draft. IC however has an interview up on their site.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
After watching this guys' highlights, I noticed one thing he is just amazing at is positioning. His vision is very good too as is his wrist shot, although I can tell he needs a challenge. See he has some high-end potential.

Reactions: ruffus23

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
After watching this guys' highlights, I noticed one thing he is just amazing at is positioning. His vision is very good too as is his wrist shot, although I can tell he needs a challenge. See he has some high-end potential.
Too soon for so much positivity for a player from this years draft :)

Gut is telling me Smith was a good pick.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
obviously you don't know that to be true but why would any team leave a player on the board they had rated where they picked him or higher.

It happens all the time in later rounds and Chevy has openly admitted that in his interviews. For example in his post-draft interview this year, he said that they consider taking Moe in one of the earlier rounds but decided not to as they thought he would be available with a later pick.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Can someone post his scouting report from hockeyprospect.com's Black Book? Of all the services, they were the highest on him.

Those are some really high end plays being made by him. Looks like Rickard Rakell on some of those plays. Let's see how he does against tougher competition in college.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Can someone post his scouting report from hockeyprospect.com's Black Book? Of all the services, they were the highest on him.

Those are some really high end plays being made by him. Looks like Rickard Rakell on some of those plays. Let's see how he does against tougher competition in college.

Unfortunately he wont be going to college next season, but spending another one in the USHL. The highlight package is nice, but I temper my expectations due to the fact that he is one of the older players in the league and at the end of the day his total point totals where very ordinary.

We can find a similarly impressive video for guys like Stallard at the same age playing against younger comp in the dub.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Unfortunately he wont be going to college next season, but spending another one in the USHL. The highlight package is nice, but I temper my expectations due to the fact that he is one of the older players in the league and at the end of the day his total point totals where very ordinary.

We can find a similarly impressive video for guys like Stallard at the same age playing against younger comp in the dub.

Oh my expectations are fully in check here. Weird that Elite Prospects has him going to Minnesota state next season Nathan Smith at eliteprospects.com.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Ok - colour me intrigued by the flashes of skill I saw there. Maybe the scouts saw something enough times to justify the pick. Either way, Chevy and co gets the benefit of the doubt.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
-QUOTE="JetsFan815, post: 147289137, member: 147697"]Oh my expectations are fully in check here. Weird that Elite Prospects has him going to Minnesota state next season Nathan Smith at eliteprospects.com.[/QUOTE]

I saw that but the official team article and he himself states he is going back to the USHL before going to college in the 2019-2020 season:

Roller hockey gave 2018 third round pick Smith his start in hockey

Essentially the same development path as Poolman. Can't say that I am happy that he is playing as an over-aged player next season.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
He seems to think the game quickly and has pretty good playmaking skills. Excited to see what he can do at Mankato next year.

EDIT: See he's going back to the USHL. Not ideal but let's see how it goes.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Actually, his scoring was very impressive... easily top on his low scoring team. I am not as worried about his age because he's a late bloomer... didn't start skating until age 11.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Don't hate the pick, don't love it either. But I can live with it at where we got him. Though like usual there will typically be guys who I think were better. Some may end up being better some may end up being worse. Such is the draft.

broc

Dec 20, 2010

Pronman, for instance... didn’t even have this guy being drafted at all. Now in his column he says he didn’t have him being drafted, but, it’s probably more akin to, he had no idea who he was.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Pronman, for instance... didn’t even have this guy being drafted at all. Now in his column he says he didn’t have him being drafted, but, it’s probably more akin to, he had no idea who he was.
I meant more like the draft picks go back after they are drafted and get interviewed at a table for about 5 minutes by reporters. this is usually on the jets nhl site. they have the draft pick before him and the 2 after him. I know I can listen to it but like watching the videos and they either didn't film it or didn't bother to put it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad