Prospect Info: C Matthew Phillips, 166th overall

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
You're right but still

Tkachuk, Bennett, Hathaway, Lomberg, Valimaki, Kulak, Rittich, Brossoit, Jankowski

Aside from Tkachuk, that's a list of players deemed not good enough to play for Calgary but who've still managed to carve out NHL careers of varying quality elsewhere.

Given the Flames' track record of development, it's bizarre that anyone would ever give them the benefit of the doubt. Especially when they prove time and time again, particularly when that demented dinosaur of a dutter is shamefully trotted out, that they don't know what they're doing.

Tkachuk - Long term contract/friends and family
Bennett - Mishandled/mental. Said he himself also made a mistake in thinking he should play like a scrub if deployed like one (interview)
Hathaway - contract and money (Flames capped out)
Lomberg - contract and money (Flames offered 2 way, Florida offered 1 way deal)
Valimaki - Mental thing. Couldn't get going with limited minutes after his injury.
Kulak - Logjam. Literally was like the 8th dman at one point due to performance.
TSpoon - I don't know. Sucked? Bad deployment? Mishandled?
Rittich - Mental thing and bad luck. Cratered after he got his longer term contract after not one but two arb hearings on his wedding day/anniversary.
Brossoit - Not sure what happened here, but I think he was part of the old guard. TBH, I'm glad he didn't "Flame out" if he was close to Troy Ward and whoever was coach in the AHL because guys like Irvine, Karlsson, Barts, Klimchuk etc. were ruined by that horrible farm system.
Jankowki - Mental thing? He started off pretty good and then suddenly fell off a cliff. Him being better at scoring points short handed vs 5 on 5 or on the PP was also super bizarre which is why I think it was a mental issue.
Sieloff - I don't get it. He seems like he should be able to carve out an Engelland type career, but I think a lot of orgs don't like him somehow?
Klimchuk/Parsons/Poirier/Gilles - Mental health and/or injuries. Addressed as things went along.
Granlund/Baertschi - Contract and LW logjam issue. Played a bit in Vancouver, wasn't good enough to stick around.
Ferland - Nothing wrong with how we handled him. Org focused on mental health stuff, one day he closed off so we moved on. Career ended due to injuries likely because he didn't address the mental health thing and put himself at risk by not changing certain playing habits. I'm still very sad about this one, but the org did it right IMO.
Gaudreau - No major issue. Burke did threaten to demote him though. It worked... so... *shrug?*

Mangiapane/Andersson/Kylington/Dube/Ruzicka/Wolf - Relatively fine? Maybe Kylington could have had more opportunities earlier... but we had a dman logjam and lack of RD issue.

Pospisil/Zary - Injury concerns but tracking OK?

Nikolaev/Schwindt - Unsure. Seem like steady development though.

MEP/little Z/Phillips - Seem to be tracking OK. But I assume no role available on roster and not good fit for bottom 6. Dev in AHL as AHL or bust. Unlike Lomberg who plays physical, these guys are skill guys and not good fit on bottom lines.

I'd love Phillips to get a shot this season and if he sticks around, I think Conroy is the type of guy to reward him longer term for more cups of coffee.

Reactions: Mitts

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

I agree with Conroy. Because of his size Phillips got the short end of the stick, particularly with Dutter, and he deserves to be given a chance to succeed with the Flames... none of this 5 minutes a game crap with boat anchors as line mates for a whole two games.
i hope Phillips re-signs with the Flames but wouldn't blame him in the least if he tells the Flames to f*** off and goes elsewhere.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If Conroy meant what he said, it would be smart for Phillips to resign with the Flames, because I doubt any other team would give him that ‘earned’ ice time.

I think Conroy is just bullshitting though. It’s not like he is new to the Flames

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Reactions: Nanuuk

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Speak for yourself. I'm still angry.

As for Matty, he's probably gone unless literally no other team is interested.

I mean between themselves. But yeah, I'm with you. I was incensed by his and Hathaway's departure. I like those two dudes.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Assuming Backlund and Lindy are gone for picks/prospects (though realistically I do expect roster players back for em), Phillips has a chance to really shine in a primo role, PP1, even a strong line 5v5. I could see our lines looking something like

Huberdeau - Ruzicka - Phillips
Mangiapane - Kadri - Coronato
Pellettier - Dube - Sharangovic
Coleman - Zary - Duehr

Not really an elite forward group, but I think they could surprise the league in a Minnesota or 2018 VGK way, especially since our blueline is probably still gonna be strong:

Kylington - Tanev
Weegar - Andersson
Zadorov - X

PP1

Mangiapane
Coronato - Phillips - Huberdeau
Kylington

PP2
Ruzicka
Pellettier - Kadri - Mangiapane
Andersson

Last edited:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Assuming Backlund and Lindy are gone for picks/prospects (though realistically I do expect roster players back for em), Phillips has a chance to really shine in a primo role, PP1, even a strong line 5v5. I could see our lines looking something like

Huberdeau - Ruzicka - Phillips
Mangiapane - Kadri - Coronato
Pellettier - Dube - Sharangovic
Coleman - Zary - Duehr

Not really an elite forward group, but I think they could surprise the league in a Minnesota or 2018 VGK way, especially since our blueline is probably still gonna be strong:

Kylington - Tanev
Weegar - Andersson
Zadorov - X

PP1

Mangiapane
Coronato - Phillips - Huberdeau
Kylington

PP2
Ruzicka
Pellettier - Kadri - Mangiapane
Andersson
Zadorov likely gone too. Coleman and Duehr on the 4th line seems luxurious

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
This pisses me off. WTF are you doing Flames? All he wanted was a one way contract the cost of which can easily be buried if it doesn't work out.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
This pisses me off. WTF are you doing Flames? All he wanted was a one way contract the cost of which can easily be buried if it doesn't work out.
They offered him a 2 year deal to stay.

What will people call it when he's waived in Caps training camp? Will that also be denying him an opportunity?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad