Prospect Info: C Matthew Phillips, 166th overall

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So he took the guaranteed money this year.
Maybe, but "it's believed" is certainly not hard evidence that was the offer, it is believed because he took a one-year one-way deal when a 2-year offer was on the table. While very likely true, it just takes common sense to reach that conclusion.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Not enough cap space to give him a one-way deal this year.
If it turns out there isn't you send him down to the AHL where is salary is buried and doesn't affect the cap.
This is pure cheapness on Edward's part where he doesn't want to pay Phillips $800, 000 or so to play for the Wranglers if it came to that.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If it turns out there isn't you send him down to the AHL where is salary is buried and doesn't affect the cap.
This is pure cheapness on Edward's part where he doesn't want to pay Phillips $800, 000 or so to play for the Wranglers if it came to that.
My goodness dude, not every little thing is about Edwards. Yeah he appears to have too much say, but that's always in larger contracts, not league minimum contracts.

You need to get over this obsession with Edwards and this conspiracy type thinking that every move is him pinching pennies.

Reactions: Mitts and Haatley

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
My goodness dude, not every little thing is about Edwards. Yeah he appears to have too much say, but that's always in larger contracts, not league minimum contracts.

You need to get over this obsession with Edwards and this conspiracy type thinking that every move is him pinching pennies.
I expect Conroy will be on an extremely short leash this year. Most likely Edwards won't personally be involved in contracts like this but I expect Maloney and Bean will know whats happening and they take their marching orders from Edwards

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I think it's as simple as Love is in Washington, which will give a better chance for him, and Backstrom, Oshie and Wilson all have pretty significant injury issues, and there's a better chance at top 9 opportunity from that alone there

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think it's as simple as Love is in Washington, which will give a better chance for him, and Backstrom, Oshie and Wilson all have pretty significant injury issues, and there's a better chance at top 9 opportunity from that alone there
As far as I know the Caps are still looking to move Mantha too, also add Pacioretty to the list of regularly injured players, hell even Milano and Dowd seem to miss 15+ games a year. Even with Mantha and everyone heathy they only have 11 NHL forwards, and that includes Aube-Kubel, who IMO is a lesser plaer than Pelletier, Duehr, or Ruzicka. So he has a great chance in Washington as things stand , as he'll just have to outplay McMichael or Lapierre to make the club.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Again with this franchise. Asset management. We aren't a premier free agent destination, we HAVE TO manage assets.

I don't know for sure if Phillips is an NHL player or hockey's version of a AAAA guy. After 7 years in the organization that's a bit ridiculous. Especially considering we saw Lucic in the top 6 for a 15 game stretch last season.

I get not playing him in 21-22 when you could squint and think we were a contender. Not playing him last year was inexcusable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad