C Mathias Emilio Pettersen (2018, 167th, CGY; traded to DAL)

A Bundy

Mar 3, 2021
He gets first star in the first two games in the play-offs, then when Flames are out and the roster fills up he is a healthy scratch (presumably) for the last two games. This would have been a perfect opprtunity to get play-off experience that Flames obvioulsy needs if they have any belief he should make the next step. Heat is moving from Stockton after (probably among ther considerations) steadily declining ticket-sales, so player development should at least be a focus rather than impressing the local fans with a deep run. I don't know, but it would be nice if someone could enlighten me about this.

hypereconomist

Mar 10, 2019
He gets first star in the first two games in the play-offs, then when Flames are out and the roster fills up he is a healthy scratch (presumably) for the last two games. This would have been a perfect opprtunity to get play-off experience that Flames obvioulsy needs if they have any belief he should make the next step. Heat is moving from Stockton after (probably among ther considerations) steadily declining ticket-sales, so player development should at least be a focus rather than impressing the local fans with a deep run. I don't know, but it would be nice if someone could enlighten me about this.
If you're a pessimist, Mitch Love wants a Calder Cup victory to add to his AHL coach of the year award so that he can make the jump to an NHL coaching staff in a year or two.

If you're slightly more optimistic, Mitch Love knows that the Chicago Wolves have a veteran-heavy roster with at least five players that could be in the NHL (without looking out of place) and he's relying on the new additions from the Flames (e.g. Ruzicka) instead of overachieving youngins to help balance out the talent disparity between the Heat and the Wolves. Pettersen doesn't profile well as a bottom-sixer

Last edited:

A Bundy

Mar 3, 2021
If you're a pessimist, Mitch Love wants a Calder Cup victory to add to his AHL coach of the year award so that he can make the jump to an NHL coaching staff in a year or two.

If you're slightly more optimistic, Mitch Love knows that the Chicago Wolves have a veteran-heavy roster with at least five players that could be in the NHL (without looking out of place) and he's relying on the new additions from the Flames (e.g. Ruzicka) instead of overachieving youngins to help balance out the talent disparity between the Heat and the Wolves. Pettersen doesn't profile well as a bottom-sixer
Good explanaitions both of them, and a mix of the two sounds plausible. If he doesn't play Monday night either I would personaly be pissed off if I was him, given his contribution so far.

Reactions: hypereconomist

A Bundy

Mar 3, 2021
He played yesterday, 2 SOG and +/- 0. Didn't see the game. Today I am most annoyed at the AHL for not logging or publishing TOI and other stats like all other comparable leagues. My grumpiness is the only constant.

Reactions: Wats

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Do you think he'll make it into the NHL?
He won’t get a shot this year. The Flames don’t have a lot of open spots and Pelletier is likely to get a promotion. Phillips would also be ahead of Pettersen (but I don’t think Phillips will make it this year either).

If Peterssen gets top-6 minutes in the AHL this season and plays well, then he’s got a shot down the road. I think the upcoming season is a huge one for him.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
He won’t get a shot this year. The Flames don’t have a lot of open spots and Pelletier is likely to get a promotion. Phillips would also be ahead of Pettersen (but I don’t think Phillips will make it this year either).

If Peterssen gets top-6 minutes in the AHL this season and plays well, then he’s got a shot down the road. I think the upcoming season is a huge one for him.
Well I hope he just makes the NHL in general, more Norwegian (That aren't just simply Norwegian American or Canadian born) representation the better.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
11 points in his last 10 games. Is there too much Calgary depth for him to get a callup?

Yes. I'd say he wont play a game in NHL this season unless there's 6+ injured Flames forwards at the same time, and still might not get a call up.

Also just look how much Sutter has played Phillips who was miles better in AHL this season.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Joka12

Apr 13, 2022
4 points last night and he is now up to 22 points in 22 games.
He is also 2nd on the team in terms of points in even strength with 15 points. Only Phillips is ahead of him with 17 points in even strength in 21 games. Pelletier does also have 15 points but he has played 5 more games than Pettersen this season. He also have the best +/- on the Wranglers team this season with +13. Number two on this stat is Phillips with +9. A guy like Zary who has more points than him just have 0 in this stat.

I think these two stats are pretty important as he wont play PP anyway if he gets called up.

That being said he probably dont have a future in Calgary. He should probably go back to Europe and try to play in one of the top leagues over here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bounces R Way

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
4 pts off his total from last season, in less than half the GP. Teams notice that kind of jump in production. Very talented all around player.

That being said he probably dont have a future in Calgary. He should probably go back to Europe and try to play in one of the top leagues over here.

That does seem like a likely outcome. Still, only 22 years old, don't see a need to rush things. Flames despite what they're doing currently have done well in recent years developing these smaller homerun type picks. Mangiapane was a 6th rounder, Dube and Kylington were picked in the 3rd, and of course Gaudreau in the 4th. I don't think there's no path here for him but it would involve some patience definitely.

Really depends if he's committed to the NA path, because I'm certain he could make more money next year in Europe if he wanted to.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
4 pts off his total from last season, in less than half the GP. Teams notice that kind of jump in production. Very talented all around player.

That does seem like a likely outcome. Still, only 22 years old, don't see a need to rush things. Flames despite what they're doing currently have done well in recent years developing these smaller homerun type picks. Mangiapane was a 6th rounder, Dube and Kylington were picked in the 3rd, and of course Gaudreau in the 4th. I don't think there's no path here for him but it would involve some patience definitely.

Really depends if he's committed to the NA path, because I'm certain he could make more money next year in Europe if he wanted to.
Flames have been remarkably consistent at almost a one mid to late round pick joining the team per year going back 5-6 years (Andersson, Mangiapane, Dube, Kylington, Ruzicka in order). Pettersen definitely has a path to the NHL especially with cap constraints coming in the next few years.

One thing working strongly against him however is all of Coronato, Pelletier, and Zary all looking like they’ll be making the push at the same time as him. That’s a lot of 1st rounders who are probably viewed to have higher upside to compete against. Hopefully him and the organization are patient and he continues to develop, but I can see him being included in a deadline or off-season deal that gives him a quicker path to an NHL opportunity.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

I mean beyond money, there's also the factor of social security, familiarity, and being closer to family. I can definitely see him in SHL.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Not that it matters, but Dube and Kylington were both 2nd round picks, not 3rd. Albeit very late 2nd round picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad