C Mathew Barzal - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2015, 16th, NYI) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Barzal will be skating in replacement of John Tavares tonight on the top line between Anders Lee and Ryan Strome.

Should be a good look tonight. The game is on NHL network at 5pm for anyone that wants to get a look.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Barzal will be skating in replacement of John Tavares tonight on the top line between Anders Lee and Ryan Strome.

Should be a good look tonight. The game is on NHL network at 5pm for anyone that wants to get a look.

The Isles are resting Tavares and to avoid some senseless injury to the Franchise in the last preseason game, but it's an amazing opportunity for Barzal as the #1C. He's really been impressive in the TC.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Probably a reward for such an impressive camp. Maybe they send him back to Seattle after this game?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Nice. I was actually thinking about watching the game and this just sealed it. Excited to see Barzal for the first time this season, and in a prominent role at that.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Probably a reward for such an impressive camp. Maybe they send him back to Seattle after this game?

I wouldn't be surprised if this happens... final preseason game and then things get serious in Isles land... plus everyone is anticipating a huge junior season by him this year and WHL is already underway. He has already missed a couple junior games and will miss more at WJC so I think the sooner the better to send him back.

If he actually had a legitimate chance of sticking in NYI, I can see them keeping him longer, but he will be returned this year so as far as I am concerned, they should send him back after this game.

Seattle is a preseason favorite to challenge to be the top team in WHL so this is a real good situation for Barzal to be returning to

.....having said that, Barzal is a big game player and thrives in these situations and im sure he knows the odds are against him to make the team, but if he has a HUGE game tonight, it may make things extremely confusing for Isles management and they may be forced to kinda re think things

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Through 2 periods he looks great. Checking and playing good in his own zone. Very impressive stick handling and skating. Also very calm under pressure.

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester
First time watching him, kid is the real deal. Really reminds me of Tyler Johnson, thought he would be more of a Jordan Eberle. So slick although his size will definitely make him get sent back to the Dub. He is a lot smaller than I thought. Excited that he is in our system. Team Canada WJC will be a very solid team.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
playing a real solid game today but I have a feeling he will be sent back after this game... isles fans must be ridiculously excited

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
playing a real solid game today but I have a feeling he will be sent back after this game... isles fans must be ridiculously excited

He's a kid, still needs to grow up and get bigger/stronger. The skill, skating, and hockey intelligence is very obvious. Actually surprised with his compete against the big boys, no hesitation in his game. The Isles are a very patient organization, he can tear up the WHL and play for Team Canada this year.

With Nielsen's possible departure, there could be a center spot open next year for him to compete for... assuming Strome or Nelson don't claim it first. No rush with this kid though.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Jets fan here who sees alot of the WHL living in Victoria. Your trade to get Barzal was brilliant. You fleeced the Oilers.

I love what your team is doing, you guys are seriously ready to break out as an elite team for a long time.

Maybe the Jets will meet you in the finals one day...but that scares me...I don't think we could win..

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Jets fan here who sees alot of the WHL living in Victoria. Your trade to get Barzal was brilliant. You fleeced the Oilers.

I love what your team is doing, you guys are seriously ready to break out as an elite team for a long time.

Maybe the Jets will meet you in the finals one day...but that scares me...I don't think we could win..

Thanks for the confidence but I really don't the the isles "fleeced" Edmonton. I think both teams will end up happy. It's been discussed a lot.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I think barzal will be many times better than Reinhart....haven't kept up on your debates on that...best of luck in the new season.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Barzal had an intense interview with Sweeney. And considering they passed on him 3 times, Barzal said some things in the interview that Sweeney didn't like.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/barzal-enjoys-intense-interview-bruins-staff

Or the scouts and GM felt the other players fit what they wanted.

Going off the board against so-called experts is not a new thing.

Barzal looked good during the pre-season games I viewed.

Didn't make me regret any pick though.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I had Mathew Barzal rated #5 in this summer's draft. He is one of the best value picks in the draft IMO.

8 points in 4 games this year early on. I think you guys are going to see great things from him this year if he can stay healthy. Seattle should be a better team this year also.

Barzal could be an Islander's cornerstone soon. A very good player. A true Center also never hurts. Depth down the middle.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He was real sick in his first couple games back to Seattle but still played well and put up a couple points. In his last 2 games though he has been completely dominating since he's 100% now.

He is playing on a line with Ryan Gropp(NYR 2nd) and Keegan Kolesar(CBJ 3rd) and the line has clicked and is dominating.

Gonna be a huge year individually for Barzal and also a huge year for Seattle Thunderbirds. They have a real good team

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
I'm no pro scout but I follow and watch my fair share of junior hockey and I can't for the life of me explain why the Bruins passed on Barzal and/or Connor?

I don't get it.

Another interesting thing is how BOS's 3 consecutive picks factored into a number of things. If Barzal is off the board, the isles don't move Reinhart to EDM for the 16th overall pick.

Although I like Barzal, nothing I saw at camp nor how DeBrusk or Senyshyn have started there seasons in the WHL or OHL have made me regret decisions on the pick(s).

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I have a feeling that your opinion will change come the World Juniors.

If one of Barzal or Kyle Connor end up a legit NHL star, I don't think hindsight will view what the Bruins did in a positive light. Now if one of the 2 guys the Bruins take ends up better then both Barzal or Connor then the Bruins look great

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Although I like Barzal, nothing I saw at camp nor how DeBrusk or Senyshyn have started there seasons in the WHL or OHL have made me regret decisions on the pick(s).

I trust that you watched the Bruins camp and while I have no knowledge of what transpired there, I also have full confidence that there is no chance you've watched enough of a) Swift Current; b) Sault Ste Marie; and c) Seattle to qualify the second part of your post. Stat watching does ≠ scouting

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
It's crazy that NYI entered that draft with 0 1st rounders, and ended up with 2 prospects who wowed everyone in camp and are playing extremely well in juniors (Barzal, Beauvillier).

One thing you have to say about Garth Snow - he's not afraid of admitting his mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad